Hair loss with itchy, burning scalp driving me crazy, please help!!!

CChair

Reaction score
I've been dealing with hair loss for a number of years now. It has been thinning all over and I've also had Alopecia (completely bald round patches around the head), which has come and gone.

Unfortunately in the past year or so the overall thinning has gotten much much worse, and is accompanied by itching and burning. It's honestly driving me insane, because the only thing that makes it better is cold. When the hair falls, I notice they come out with white bulbs at the end, and I've noticed that I have a little bit of dandruf but nothing serious (not scaly). Sometimes I also get little pimples and my scalp is sensitive, so if I move my hair my scalp hurts.

I've lost more than 50% of my hair, and I'm desperate! I've tried so many things and nothing has yielded any results. Right now I'm pregnant, and I'm terrified that when I have the baby I will lose all of it :(

I've seen every doctor in the book including naturopath, dermatologist, endocrinologist, etc, but no one knows what is wrong. I've tried Rogaine and Amana, which briefly worked on re-growth but really irritated my scalp. I've also tried different essential oils and nothing. I've increased/changed the vitamins I take, so now I take Biotin, Biosil (silica, but had to stop due to pregnancy), Omega 3, Vitamin B6/B12 C, D, E, and nothing has changed. I mean re-growth is important, but what I want is for the hair to stop falling at the rate that it is now!

I also eat healthy, work out and take care of myself. I've even avoided gluten to see if that would help although I've tested negative for celiac. I've also been tested for different thyroid issues and everything comes back normal.

I've gone through the ups and downs, and the hair loss has slowed down but nothing has stopped it. I am determined to figure out what is going on with my body, but I am at the end of my rope here, and I just want shave my head and hide under a rock.

If anyone can help, I will be forever grateful!

DoneWithIt

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry babe, all I have to tell you is that we are in the same boat. I too suffer scalp pain and Androgenetic Alopecia - I take it this is what you have? no answers, but my dht levels are high. dht kills your hair... but my loss is more patterned and concentrated to the top of the scalp. you say yours is all over, including back and sides? and you're shedding? how long have you been shedding? i shed little but burn in my affected areas at all times. it truly sucks and like you i've been to every doctor under the moon and done every test imaginable all which came back normal, except the dht test that came back today...

CChair

Reaction score
Sorry babe, all I have to tell you is that we are in the same boat. I too suffer scalp pain and Androgenetic Alopecia - I take it this is what you have? no answers, but my dht levels are high. dht kills your hair... but my loss is more patterned and concentrated to the top of the scalp. you say yours is all over, including back and sides? and you're shedding? how long have you been shedding? i shed little but burn in my affected areas at all times. it truly sucks and like you i've been to every doctor under the moon and done every test imaginable all which came back normal, except the dht test that came back today...

I have to check my blood work for DHT, I'm pretty sure they did a test for that, but I can't recall what the levels where, what were your levels?.

I'm losing hair all over, but the worse is at the top of my head, and the itching and burning comes and goes, as well as the little pimples. I've been dealing with this since 2005 and although it has gotten better at times, right now it is at the worst I've ever experienced. I am honestly going mad. It's really awful to know there is something wrong with you and not know what to do about it...

Anyway, good luck to you and I hope I get an answer soon.

Girlygirl

Reaction score
Your hair loss seems alot like mine! I've posted my story maybe it might help. Have you ruled out scalp ringworm? This can can cause diffuse hairloss not to mention the sores or pimples and will not go away on its own until treated orally.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
How are you holding up C? I am sorry for your devastating hair loss situation. I was hoping you found some resolve soon or at least another missing piece of the puzzle. Listen, I am a man and naturally the hair loss experience is different for me. However since you are expecting (congrats btw!) we all can agree that your thoughts/energies need to be 100% focused on you and your baby. Is this realistic?:dunno: Well of course not. Still its important for you to know that you can make some temporary changes that can potentially help minimize your anxiety. I hope my suggestions will not offend you:) They are not solutions merely suggestions you may find helpful. For starters do you wear your hair long and if so I would recommend cropping it as short as you can tolerate. Short hair generally makes one's thinning hair and/or visible scalp less conspicuous to the observer and more importantly to you, which in turn might help you feel good. Feeling good is key particularly in your "precious state". If you already keep your hair a short length can you tolerate an even shorter cut? Also concealers may do wonders for you? I share the mutual hope of all that you you can temporarily break free from thes dehabilitating bonds of hair loss. If you keep the length long try to refrain from using curling irons and blow dryers, hairclips , round brushes, really anything that might tug or pull at your scalp. I am sorry if these suggestions are rhetorical. Personally I've found some of them to be universally helpful and practical Just sfor my records is there a family history of your pattern hair loss? Girly's inquiry about ring worm should not be overlooked because you do seem to exhibit some traits. A good and thorough doctor should have ruled this out. Best wishes to you and your new family. With your consent I will continue to brainstorm!:)

- - - Updated - - -

I will stop posting on this part of the forum from now on. I am sorry I failed to review the forum instructions. Best Wishes Ladies!