hair dyes related to hair loss?

G

Hi. I am 48 years old and my hair has been getting progressively thinner (especially in the front) for the past six months. Last May, I had copper highlights put in my hair for the first time. My hair has been all-over colored a dark brown for about 4 years. I use a shampoo mixed by my colorist to keep the red highlights brighter. Do you think the red coloring could be making my scalp itch a bit and my hair to thin? When I wash it, I get a huge ball of hair in the drain! My hair is long, but it is still WAY more hair than I have ever lost in shampooing before. I have now had the highlights done twice. I have no idea if hair color effects hair loss, so that's why I'm asking. What do you think?
Thanks.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Anything is possible. What does your stylist think?
If your scalp is not healthy, the stuff in the hair dye could make your scalp worse.
Read through the research center on this site. http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/women/index.htm If you need to, get to a dermatologist or some doctor you trust. If your scalp is itchy, try Nizoral shampoo. Also, Lidex is a prescription drug that works on Seborrheic Dermatitis. It comes as a gel, lotion or cream. Seb. derm. can damage your hair follicles and cause hair loss.

At 48, I wonder if your female hormone levels are contributing to your problem. In the last several years that my estrogen has begun to drop, I have had dermatitis flareups in various areas of my body. Especially Seborrheic Dermatitis! My derm. tells me that lack of estrogen can cause havoc with your skin, and hair.