Guys, Gals.....anyone

Inch

Reaction score
I am female (not much happening in that forum). I have been using minoxidil now for a little over 5 months......4 months on 2% where I was pleased with the results. I never experienced any initial shed and did not seem to be losing any more. I then started on Dr. Lee's 5%, thinking I would see some regrowth. After 4 weeks, I stopped because the top of my head had thinned a lot more. I am now back on the 2%, no bad irritation on either, just a slight itch, but.....only on top, no where else (sides). I use Nizoral 2% twice a week and have also started Folligen. I was afraid to start the minoxidil in the beginning, now I am afraid to stop. Has anyone ever experienced a worsening effect going from the 2% to the 5%? I just don't know what to do anymore. I wrote to Dr. Lee and he said it's normal to shed, however, I DID NOT with the 2% initially. Any help out there for me??????? Losing my hair and my mind.

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I think, and when I do that there is usually trouble, but I think the 5% is for dudes only...

Could be wrong...

Also I thought saw palmetto was sort of a guy only thing too.

Sorry to be so unsure while answering, but maybe someone else has a firmer grasp of the facts. Maybe I will go check for you too. If no one else posts I will find out for you.

Good Luck!

Joe.

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Me again, he he....

Looks like saw palmetto is just a no-no for child-bearing age women.

"In addition, women of childbearing age should not use saw palmetto without medical supervision because it has not been proven to be safe during pregnancy and lactation."

Thats from

http://www.youngagain.com/baldness.html

Hope I helped a little and good luck,
Joe.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
5% is not recommended for women due to it possibly causing excess body hair which is less of an issue with men.

I think that in going from 2 to 5% you may have triggered a shed, but that shed could have been from the initial 4 months on the 2%. It's all really random and no one can give you any real assurance as to what is causing your shed and what the eventual outcome might be. When a hair shaft sheds it usually means that it stopped growing 3 months earlier, but that period can be less if new hair is starts to grow out of that follicle early. So the new dosage of minoxidil may have triggered alot of dormant follicles to start growing hair and that pushed out the old dormant ones.

I wish I could tell you everything will be fine, but I cannot. I actually know very little about FPB other than that it has to be even more difficult to deal with than male pattern baldness. The party line on this stuff is to ride out the sheds so I think you should do that. I also think you should stick with the 2% until it proves to be unsatisfactory. Don't stop it until you give it a year.

I wish you luck

Inch

Reaction score
it sounds logical

Thanks for the response. Maybe since I didn't shed with the 2% the first 4 months, it did trigger something. I wrote and asked Dr. Lee about it, he said just that it was to be expected and to continue on with the 5%. However, I decided to go with the 2% and see what happens. I realize there's not much assurance for any of us out there, that's the part that is the hardest IMO. I guess I had hoped to see more good results after 5 months.
I see that you've been on the 5% since May...how you doing? The only real difference between FPB and male pattern baldness is that we don't go completely bald, our hair line stays intact and we can't take Propecia (wish I could).
I don't understand why the women's forum is so inactive. I've read older posts from there, emailed a few people and never heard back. That could be interpreted 2 ways, I am trying to believe that they all grew their hair BACK!!!! :lol:

Dinzy said:
5% is not recommended for women due to it possibly causing excess body hair which is less of an issue with men.

I think that in going from 2 to 5% you may have triggered a shed, but that shed could have been from the initial 4 months on the 2%. It's all really random and no one can give you any real assurance as to what is causing your shed and what the eventual outcome might be. When a hair shaft sheds it usually means that it stopped growing 3 months earlier, but that period can be less if new hair is starts to grow out of that follicle early. So the new dosage of minoxidil may have triggered alot of dormant follicles to start growing hair and that pushed out the old dormant ones.

I wish I could tell you everything will be fine, but I cannot. I actually know very little about FPB other than that it has to be even more difficult to deal with than male pattern baldness. The party line on this stuff is to ride out the sheds so I think you should do that. I also think you should stick with the 2% until it proves to be unsatisfactory. Don't stop it until you give it a year.

I wish you luck

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
My situation is still in the too early to tell phase. I never took pics which means I may be remembering things wrong but my hair is definately thinner primarily on the front right top area and right up the middle as well. I went through a shed at around month 2-3 and am going through another one now. I think I have lost some ground on my hairline but I am hoping the remaining area thickens up a bit. I still look okay with my hair dry and the lighting mellow so hopefully it will stay that way.

I think the minoxidil is having some effect because I shed these tiny hairs that have a really weak tip for about 1/2cm and then thicken up to almost full thickness, unfortuantely they are still short when they shed. I also think the remaining weak hairs on my hairline have gotten thicker even though it is receding overall. It has added a bit more hair on my forehead above my eyebrows. The hairs are weak and give that area a dirty appearance rather than a hairy one. Not really what I wanted but not really cosmetically bad since I can shave it. That is the type of stuff you may run into on 5%. If it gets you better results maybe it is worth it.