Gut Bacteria Transplant Stopped My Hair Loss (photos)

azureusi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Male-26

Fecal Microbiota Transplantation(FMT from now on) is basically a gut bacteria or if you want to get realistic and gross a poop transplants. You take poop from a healthy donor and insert it into your colon through various techniques (I had it done at a clinic using an enema). There are currently people working to extract the bacteria and just put it in a pill (no poop involved). Google it for more information.

Alright, I haven't had to deal with hair loss for like a year now and I cant attribute it to anything else but FMT. I had a FMT done 2 years ago because of an irritable bowl syndrome and some other gastro issues. FMT completely cleared gastro issues I had since I was 22.. so it worked perfectly for that.

I would also like to point out that none of my doctors recommended this for my stomach issues. I only found out about this technique trough a friend of my fathers. And I am lucky to be able to afford it since its not covered by insurance...

FMT + Hair loss:

The unintended consequence of FMT was that I stopped shedding hair almost instantly after the poop transplant. It took like a year for the hair to start looking healthy however.

Another thing that is surprising is that my hair loss began at 16-17 and not at 22-23 when my stomach issues began... and both my uncle and my father are bald so I just assumed my balding is the expression of my genes.
I tried to find research on this, however, hair loss and FMT is only mentioned with alopecia areata and not male pattern baldness. I don't really deal with balding now (maybe dealing with a mediocre hairline and slight thinned hair from 5 years of hairloss). However, I thought this might be an interesting topic for this thread or helpful to somebody.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-13 at 11.50.07.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-13 at 11.50.07.png
    524.8 KB · Views: 4,434
  • Screenshot 2019-06-13 at 11.49.08.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-13 at 11.49.08.png
    610 KB · Views: 4,501

azureusi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Full disclosure:

I was using:
- minoxidil for 4-5 years ->stopped using it and actually did have a huge shed after i stopped but its all back to normal
- nizoral ->(still use it once a week but before the FMT I used it everyday combined with an expensive conditioner - nizoral can dry your hair super well
- combination of hair oils (jojoba, castor and emu) one a week for the night - stopped using it

azureusi

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can do it through a clinic in your area. However, I m not saying this is a cure OR it will work OR giving any medical advice. These transplants can be dangerous as you can also transplant any diseases your donor has. I was just hoping someone on this site had it done and if it affected his hairloss. I still think that hairloss is genetic and most androgens (specifically DHT) play a role here but i think there also is a connection with food and allergies. I mean if people were balding tousands of years ago its probably connected to genes/lifestyle/diet.

Interestingly, after the transplant my testosterone went up and my dht went down. Also, I could sleep better after the transplant and I felt less bloated after eating some foods (sugar, grain and dairy for example).

To add few other details, my donor had 0 hairloss and was in a very good health and test for allergies came back that he was only allergic to one type of a bean and nothing else.

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They say all the bad sh*t that's gonna happen to your body, disease, bad skin etc.... all starts with the health of your gut.
I have seborrehic dermatitis that is usually under control most of the time.
After I had spinal cord surgery, my skin was terrible. Big red patches, small sheets of skin peeling and flaking. This was due to all the intravenous antibiotics and pain killers they were pumping into me. It threw my gut
bacteria right off. Couldn't sh*t right for quite a while too.
Started taking some heavy probiotics, and things started getting better.
Gut health is very important to your overall total health.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They say all the bad sh*t that's gonna happen to your body, disease, bad skin etc.... all starts with the health of your gut.
I have seborrehic dermatitis that is usually under control most of the time.
After I had spinal cord surgery, my skin was terrible. Big red patches, small sheets of skin peeling and flaking. This was due to all the intravenous antibiotics and pain killers they were pumping into me. It threw my gut
bacteria right off. Couldn't sh*t right for quite a while too.
Started taking some heavy probiotics, and things started getting better.
Gut health is very important to your overall total health.
I wouldn't be shocked if most people with hair loss had bad gut, I know I do.. Bad gut, acne, anxiety, hairloss - all go together.

hailbrotzu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No way this was that effective. Do you have any other pics of your old hairline? it looks like ur back to a full head of hair

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Impressive pics ! In case you really looked into the subject would you say that you can match the stool transplant's effectiveness for developping microflora with supplements ?

azureusi

My Regimen
Reaction score
@hailbrotzu I got most of my hair back from minoxidil + nizoral + me stopping lifting 5x times a week before i even did FMT. However, I maintained what i gained because of FMT.

@Btg I dont think you can even come close to it with supplements (at least the ones you can freely buy) in my opinion. Maybe an elimination diet to heal your gut. HOWEVER, I m not a doctor so my opinion doesn't mean much. I would consult it with multiple doctors

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-14 at 23.26.40.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-14 at 23.26.40.png
    181.3 KB · Views: 1,854

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
so the FMT didn't actually regrow anything new (the minoxidil did that), but it lowered your stress/inflammation which calmed down your hair shedding. Makes sense.

I wouldn't be shocked if most people with hair loss had bad gut, I know I do.. Bad gut, acne, anxiety, hairloss - all go together.

Yes, i have gut problems too! and definitely had massive anxiety, used to have massive dandruff, started balding at 17.

The thing with gut bacteria is that sometimes you're screwed from childhood if you didnt get enough exposure from the environement / your mother. You literally cannot get them back save for maybe the FMT.

To the OP :

May i ask what precipitated your gut problems at 22 years of age? you were fine until then but got an infection or something?

Baltimore1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Male-26

Fecal Microbiota Transplantation(FMT from now on) is basically a gut bacteria or if you want to get realistic and gross a poop transplants. You take poop from a healthy donor and insert it into your colon through various techniques (I had it done at a clinic using an enema). There are currently people working to extract the bacteria and just put it in a pill (no poop involved). Google it for more information.

Alright, I haven't had to deal with hair loss for like a year now and I cant attribute it to anything else but FMT. I had a FMT done 2 years ago because of an irritable bowl syndrome and some other gastro issues. FMT completely cleared gastro issues I had since I was 22.. so it worked perfectly for that.

I would also like to point out that none of my doctors recommended this for my stomach issues. I only found out about this technique trough a friend of my fathers. And I am lucky to be able to afford it since its not covered by insurance...

FMT + Hair loss:

The unintended consequence of FMT was that I stopped shedding hair almost instantly after the poop transplant. It took like a year for the hair to start looking healthy however.

Another thing that is surprising is that my hair loss began at 16-17 and not at 22-23 when my stomach issues began... and both my uncle and my father are bald so I just assumed my balding is the expression of my genes.
I tried to find research on this, however, hair loss and FMT is only mentioned with alopecia areata and not male pattern baldness. I don't really deal with balding now (maybe dealing with a mediocre hairline and slight thinned hair from 5 years of hairloss). However, I thought this might be an interesting topic for this thread or helpful to somebody.
Where Did you get FMT transplant, which clinic, was it Taymount clinic ?

Janko

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
About year ago a guy here wrote me: Go eat sh*t. I thought it was an insult and he was actually giving me an advice. :D

Good for you man! It is quite logical that hairloss is not just an error. Body usually tries to show if something is not allright. And when hair loss you see and feel quite easily, so it makes sense. I am going through anti inflammatory diet and I feel great as never. And I believe it is speeding up my results with big 3 and microneedling.

Guts

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting results. There’s a thread on lactoferrin that shows a study where lactoferrin heavily promoted hair growth, which is interesting as lactoferrin is mainly a protein used to treat ulcers and bacterial infections in the gut. A lot of anecdotal evidence from people indicates that diet plays a role in their overall hair health, not enough to stop male pattern baldness of course. I find it interesting that science still claims DHT as the main cause of hairloss, but despite having access to drugs that literally nuke DHT people still experience it.