Good results after 8 months on finasteride

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

I have been using Minoxidil (switched to aussie "hair-a-gain" about 6 months ago - it seems less greasy and quicker to dry btw) for at least 2 years i'd say with minimal results, but added 1/4 proscar a day just over 8 months ago and FINALLY, the vellus hair that started with the minoxidil is starting to take hold as proper dark hairs - also much thicker vellus hairs as well.

Just thought i'd chime in. As it took me a long time to finally take the punt with finasteride given that I was worried of side effects - but really, my hair is more important than most things at the moment and once its gone - well it's obviously a lot of work to get it back.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
made_guy82 said:
Howdy,

I have been using Minoxidil (switched to aussie "hair-a-gain" about 6 months ago - it seems less greasy and quicker to dry btw) for at least 2 years i'd say with minimal results, but added 1/4 proscar a day just over 8 months ago and FINALLY, the vellus hair that started with the minoxidil is starting to take hold as proper dark hairs - also much thicker vellus hairs as well.

Just thought i'd chime in. As it took me a long time to finally take the punt with finasteride given that I was worried of side effects - but really, my hair is more important than most things at the moment and once its gone - well it's obviously a lot of work to get it back.
Good to hear it is working for you. Keep up the good work. Don't give up. :)

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope I can drop a nice post like yours in 6 months. Right now I am at the low point in my battle. ( at least I hope it is) ~2 months on finasteride/min and I think the excessive shedding has slowed down.

What were your experiences with shedding on min and finasteride? Did you shed a lot, and if so what types of hairs were shedding? I shed a lot of thick *** tree trunk hairs at first but now I am loosing more of those crappy weak terminal and some strong vellus. I don't mind loosing those now because I hope they come back stronger.

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a few sheds and dandrufff flare-ups early on. It seemed like once a month for the first couple. Now they come maybe every 2 months.

Incidentally I'm pretty sure I'm currently experiencing a flare-up/shed right now!!!

But like a lot of people I've taken to hoping that this is a good sign that the treatment is having an effect and that they will grow back better and more plentiful.

As for the type of hairs, yeah I get some thick, and thin (my hair is both thin-shafted and thinly-packed (even before the male pattern baldness!!)...great genes huh).

It sucks to see the thick ones go, but its for a good cause. What are those stupid scientists doing trying to make fruit grow bigger when our hair is going down the drain! Literally!

air_canton

Reaction score
made_guy82 said:
Howdy,

Congradulations!

Cheer for your success. I'm treating my hair in the medical way by Rogaine 5% (Twice per day) and Proscar (1.25mg per day).

I really hope that it will also happend on me.