gnc men's nourishhair vitamins

hopewas

Reaction score
anyone here ever use these vitamins? i'm curious.. from all the hair vitamins i've heard of, these seem to be the best. also..anyone here who works out.. do you reccomend protein mix powder? i'm trying to gain bigger muscle mass. thanks in advance for any info

Stingray

Reaction score
Ehh, I bought it, tried it, and ruled it a waste of money. Try it if you like.

drinkrum

Reaction score
I use Optimum Whey (Chocolate flavor since the Choc. Mint has too much sat. fat and cholesterol) and generic pharma-grade creatine -- all from http://www.bodybuilding.com. In the past 6 months, I have gained 10 lbs of pure mass, and dropped my body fat % to 8%. Since I box, this is particularly important.

Take the protein and the creatine right before or after you work out for maximum recovery. And drink tons of water. Also, stay clear from any of the soy proteins, as recent research has indicated that soy increases estrogen and affects the sexual performance of men.

If you want to just gain pure mass and do it the quickest. My recommendation (from experience) is to get on a high fat, high calorie, insanely high protein diet and work out rigorously -- that is, lifting weights. Then, after doing this and gaining a lot of weight for a couple of months, kill the cals and start aerobic exercise to cut up. I find it very hard to get cut and big at the same time.

D.

bombscience

Reaction score
I'm both a fan and not a fan of liquid protein diets. Although they do help with adding muscle I do not see supplimenting your diet with liquid protein as a "heathy" thing for your body.

Eat more chicken.

hopewas

Reaction score
well, i'm starting it today (protein) . i'm cut but would like to have my muscles doubled in size. kind of like my brandon lee like body now to a jean claude van damme (whom i hate) like body. i've been benching sets of 250 pounds for the last 2 months and i can't seem to bench more than that and seem to struggle after the 4th or 5th rep of a set..i usually do 10 to 15 reps , 5 sets.. hopefully with bigger muscle mass i'll be able too. sounds stupid i know

drinkrum

Reaction score
1 scoop has 22 grams of good quality protein. I take 3-4 scoops after working out (i.e. lifting). So if you're working out everyday it will last you 8-10 days (there're 32 scoops in a 2 lbs container). I mix the scoops with 1% milk and use a hand-blender (it's a b**ch otherwise as the protein likes to clump).

I bought the 10 lbs, and still haven't come close to finishing it and it's been a year. But then again, I don't lift everyday (maybe 3 times a week) and if I'm going to be eating right after lifting, I don't take protein. Taking too much protein can be a nasty thing -- it won't hurt you, but you will smell like a skunk. Remember those guys in the gym that you can smell like 100 feet away -- those are the ones probably overboarding on protein. Or they don't know what deodorant is.

If you're trying to gain mass, taking twice your body weight in grams should be your upper limit. I would recommend taking 1.25 to 1.5 times your weight in grams of protein per day.

Hope this helps.

D.

P.S. No one likes Van Damme.

hopewas

Reaction score
thanks for the advice..i read different instructions in all the different protein mixes..one says take it 30 minutes after working out..than again 30 minutes after that. others say before and after. i don't get why there are different instructions when the ingredients are the same. and i'll wear twice the deodorent with that in mind.. thanks..also do you have to use a full scoop? or 2 to 3 scoops. isn't one enough..thanks in advance

drinkrum

Reaction score
1 "heaping" scoop delivers only 22 grams of protein. Personally, I take 3-4 and blend it up with milk (usually 1%) so it has the consistency of a milkshake. It tastes pretty good and gives you 88 grams of protein in one go (22 x 4). I take it after I get home from the gym -- so like 15 minutes. I take creatine (powder form) at the same time.

D.

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
first off, taking protein w/milk post workout is a bad idea. You want the protein to get in your system fast. And milk is very slow digesting.

2nd, you only need about 1gram of protein per 1lb of muscle. (not weight!).

3rd. One scoop is plenty directly after workout. Follow with a whole meal about an hour later

4th. Aiming to gain a lot of weight in a few months isnt smart. You will most likely get your body fat% through the roof.

eat 500 calories above maintenance and shoot to gain about .5lbs per week. Yes, in other words 2lbs a month.

Or you can do it the not so smart way: eat alot just to tip the scale and get big and fat. Then go on a cut, and do cardio. Lowering your body fat is 5x harder than increasing your muscle.

drinkrum

Reaction score
For me, losing body fat has been a lot easier than gaining muscle.

Here is an article about how much protein/day you need:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne3.htm

Of course, I don't recommend blind belief in an article (it recommends 1-1.25 grams per pound of body weight), but I'm speaking from experience as well. I asked my Doctor if taking with milk was a bad idea, he said it didn't really matter because the stomach will process it separately.

Once again, this is just my 2 cents. People are all different. You will need to figure out what works best for you.

D.

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys

Something to consider, if you are consuming mass callories and/or mass protein please take into consideration your digestive enzyme mechanisms. I am of the belief that we have a limited store of digestive enzymes, thus our stores are effected by our eating habits. HOWEVER digestive enzyme supplementation does exist. All I want to do is bring it to attention.

hopewas

Reaction score
i bought a box of pure protein bars. i'm rotating a bar with protein mix. a bar has 30 gramns of protein.. so one day after the gym i eat a bar and eat some tuna a little later, the next day i drink protein mix and then eat some tuna. i then rotate this. is this enough protein?or should i take 2 scoops of protein mix everyday

drinkrum

Reaction score
Just depends on what works for you. I notice when I work out hard and don't take enough whey, I feel more sore the day after than those days that I take plenty. So see how you feel. I recommend taking 1-1.25 (sometimes even 1.5) grams of protein per lb of body weight. For other people, this may be less and for some more. It's a matter of your own personal protein catabolism, systhesis and overall metabolism.

D.

hopewas

Reaction score
before taking protein mix and bars, i'd get really sore. i usually work out 2 to 2 and a half hours at the gym..since taking one protein bar or protein shake, along with some tuna.. i haven't really been sore. it's helped a lot