getting a toupee

scorpiolove74

Established Member
Reaction score
Its been my ten year anniversary since losing my hair,I am going to get my first hairpiece, any suggestions would be appreciated.

EmoHurr

Reaction score
I'd go for a more natural approach. Lacefront, swiss lace, something with a natural looking hairline. Do not go for an actual toupee. :thumbdown2:

G

Yea, go with French lace to begin with. Keep the density LIGHT. If your side and back hair is thin, consider a full cap as an option.

beemark

Reaction score
If you are revealing your hairline, I'd suggest French lace with a poly perimeter around the back and sides only. The lace gives you a natural-looking hairline and the strip of poly around the back and sides makes attaching easier and more secure.

If you wear bangs or don't intend to reveal your hairline, a lace base with a poly perimeter around the entire base is a good choice.

I don't recommend ordering specific percentages (like 65%, for instance) for the hair density unless the seller has pictures of the different densities on their site. Different factories use different density scales - and the difference can be as high as 10 - 15%, so one factory's 65% may be the same as another factory's 80%. If you aren't sure what % to order, ask the seller.

CCS

Reaction score
Swiss lace disappears very nice if the color close to matches your scalp. But gluing it down takes skill. I believe that poly edges would hold nicely.

I think you should have the hair forwards on your first piece. It is so critical that no one knows. Just get a light density, and they won't suspect it is a wig. Color must match though. So must the curl and hair direction. Get any of those off and it is a give away.

Do not get remi hair. You want processed hair with the cuticle completely removed. It is weaker, but also is as thin as your natural hair. And no cuticle means no matting. Many people on Toplace get hair matting in the morning because the hair still has the cuticle on it. My coolpiece piece was the wrong color and wrong direction, but at least it did not matt. Any place should have processed hair. You can request it. Don't worry if it does not last as long. It will look a lot better.

scorpiolove74

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, your all really a help,I dont feel so alone with my hair loss problem anymore.
I have another question. How long does a good hairpiece last for.

G

scorpiolove74 said:
Thanks for the advice guys, your all really a help,I dont feel so alone with my hair loss problem anymore.

2-3 months average, less if the hair quality is poor, longer if you luck out and get good hair and take good care of it.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
scorpiolove74 said:

The second one lasts longer than the first and the 3rd one lasts longer, for by the 3rd unit, you should be learning how to care for it and be giving it less abuse than the 1st.

CCS

Reaction score
ToupMaster said:
scorpiolove74 said:

The second one lasts longer than the first and the 3rd one lasts longer, for by the 3rd unit, you should be learning how to care for it and be giving it less abuse than the 1st.

Very true. I bleached my first piece in laundry bleach to get it as light as my hair, since it was 2 shades too dark out of the box. I rinsed it good. But in 2-3 weeks it had lightened some more and was too light. But if you get a good match in the first place it will last a lot longer than that.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Move!

Now if you had a unit with a Natural Fibre Base.. the laundry Bleach would have eaten it up.
But we all hopefully learn from our mistakes.

When ordering a unit, you are better off having it a shade or two, too light, they are easy to color up.
When they are too dark, they are almost impossible to lighten. I've used frosting bleach on them and left it on
for long enough to take a normal head from black to blond. Nothing happened.

After the unit has aged some, bleaching will work. There is something about the factory color that does not lighten.
If we want a highlighted looking unit and are not ordering custom, We order the stock unit in the highlight color and then do the low tones in the shop with no problem.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually the Clothing bleach was a good choice as the factory dyes seem to be based on fur dyes or clothing dyes.
That is partially why the Hair Bleach doesn't have any effect.

A deluted ammonia bath, quick dip would have been a good move after all the clorox was rinsed out. Resets the cuticle. I think it is, 1/4 cup ammonia to 1/2 Gall of hot water.

scorpiolove74

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is scorpiolove 74,I am glad that you all are educating people on line,keep posting!
Recently my hair at the front and sides has been growing pretty good,I just wish the top was a lot better(i am a norwood 5)
I am going to a hair club to get the details on my hair system perfected.
I think its worth the extra money,since I dont wanna foul it up on my first try and get discouraged.
any comments or and advice would be appreciated thanks!
yours truly
scorpiolove74

beemark

Reaction score
The better your back and sides are, the better your hair system will look.

There's no reason not to go to a local retail hair replacement seller as long as you KNOW they are competent and ethical. The majority of retail salons are focused primarily on selling hair, rather than providing the best possible product for your specific needs.

artful

Reaction score
Whats up peeps,

This is my first post (woohoo). I had been kicking around the toplace forum for a while but frankly I'm sick of all the brown nosing on there...I didn't even know this forum existed.

Anyhow, I have a question: all this talk about remi hair, processed hair...whats the deal? I saw you mention that processed is better, but remy is more expensive(?). Also, if you get your hair custom coloured (like most people do) then I heard they have no choice but to strip the hair anyway. Doesn't that make remi just a bunch of BS? Can someone clear this up?

Thanks,

Artful

beemark

Reaction score
Processed hair isn't better than Remy hair, it's just different.

You're confusing the process of stripping the cuticle in an acid bath with bleaching (stripping) and coloring the hair.

The only hair that is not bleached and dyed is virgin hair. So both processed hair and remy hair are bleached and dyed.

Processed hair has the most of the outer cuticle layer stripped away, while the cuticle is intact on Remy hair. This means that Remy hair is slightly stronger and slightly thicker than processed hair. When process hair is stripped of its cuticle, the hair loses its shine, so most factories add a silicone-based product to the hair to restore the shine. In most cases, processed hair will look shinier than remy hair. Over time, processed hair will lose that shine, but you can restore it using a hair polisher - available at any drug store.

scorpiolove74

Established Member
Reaction score
I have breaking news for you guys, I have decided to shave my head bald and keep it shaved bald, I am on a budget and I wont let my vanity screw up my life so I am taking the plunge and going bald again,I wish you all luck on improving your looks,I am going to the gym again to become a muscular bald guy so wish me luck if your so inclined lol yours truly scorpio love 74.

beemark

Reaction score
I hope you're as pleased with the shaved look as I am wearing hair. If shaving is what feels right to you, then by all means do so. Good luck to you...

scorpiolove74

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Beemark for your comment, Just because I shaved my head doesnt necessarily mean I wont get my hair replaced in the future but for now I am satisfied with the shaved look. I was curious Beemark, do you wear a partial hair system or a full cap hair system and which one is better in your opinion.

beemark

Reaction score
I have significant recession and hair-thinning - just a narrow "horseshoe" of hair around the back and sides. I wear a hairpiece with "side flaps" that fill in the temple areas and it works great. I have given serious thought to trying a full cap, but I haven't done it yet - and I don't think I would unless at some point in the future, my hair loss becomes so severe that I can't make a hairpiece work.

scorpiolove74

Established Member
Reaction score
This forum is so cool lol!
It kept me updated on when I shaved my head.
I am growing my hair back for the moment hoping to get a hair system to revitalize my looks.
My vanitys an incurable disease, so I will get a job and use some of my extra funds on my hair,I think to myself I could waste my money on worse things.