Future sustainable wig alternative?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
http://www.imcas.com/en/attend/imcas-world-congress-2016/program/session/5760

I wonder why this has not received more fanfare. It is not exactly new technology.

At face value this looks like the next best thing to the real thing (hair transplant).

Due to my seb.derm. I would not be a suitable candidate.

Scroll down to view the Biocompatible hair fiber technology/Dr. Manal Sheta lecture summary.

If this works as good as it does on paper I think there is reasonable cause for enthusiasm.

And if it is dramatically less expensive than your average hair transplant it could revolutionize the industry.

This technology already circumvents much of the as usual regulatory hoops and hurdles.

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds great on paper. The only kind of ehhh thing about it is the fact it won't grow like real hair, so changing hairstyles will be difficult... but that is a small price to pay if it's as good as it's being made out to be. I'm sure this would need semi-regular replacements, so IMO the cost needs to be considerably less than a transplant, or I'd just as soon get a hair transplant since it is my own growing hair that I will never need to replace. If the prices weren't extremely competitive with a hair transplant, I don't see the point in this other than for NW5s+ who don't have enough donor hair to get a viable hair transplant result.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Yes if the theory flies then this is big
And better yet if it were also comparable to the annual prices of high caliber hair systems, wigs, etc.
just imagine the practical value gained.

To eliminate the constant upkeep, anxiety, and time associated with maintaining wigs will be a tremendous advantage.
We can agree pricing will be the maker/breaker.

As for styling limitations if I qualified in the first place, I personally would order longer implants at first, which would presumably give me the option to shorten/restyle it differently at a later date. Maybe extensions would be ok?

Anyway I appreciate your thoughtful response.

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
Could help people who lack donor hair to complete a full head of hair. Get a transplant to cover as much as possible. Then get this to cover the rest. I feel like one day they will have artificial hair that actually grows and functions just as a replacement hair.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I.D, this would be great for women because of our diffuse thinning and thus no lack of stable donor sites. I would definitely consider this when the time comes. A wig is a HUGE fear for me. Who cares about having the same style and color. A woman's scalp looks hideous to me, and I'd happily live with the same hairstyle for the rest of my life. Good find. :D

sunchaser

Reaction score
I always was interested in biofibres and never understood why this technique was not pursued (I understand it's hard to find something that won't get rejected by the body , but surely something should have been found by now)
Anhow, this is a presentation (hard to understand/hear) from this Dr + some before after screenshots from the presentation

+ I saw some references to http://www.biofibre.com in another video, not sure if she's related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCLEwt-gows

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 16.21.41.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 16.21.41.png
    708.9 KB · Views: 891
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 16.22.02.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 16.22.02.png
    842.6 KB · Views: 760

luca10

Established Member
Reaction score
It does not look so good on the first line.
look :
after-6500-biofibre-Synthetic-Hair-Transplant-Resullt.jpg

A good option for mixing with hair naturally

before-4000-biofibre-Synthetic-Hair-Transplant-Surgery.jpg
After-4000-biofibres-Synthetic-Hair-Transplant-Treatment.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

5x84SpL.png

paleocapa89

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, if it stays in place for at least a year and doesn't get rejected or infected then I think this can be a huge deal. It could be used on its own for high norwoods or in conjunction with a regular hair transplant. I wouldn't mind having one hair style if it is forexample professionally selected and crafted for my facial structure. You just have to be careful never to get a bad haircut afterwards :D

And the weirdest thing about it, is even though it's not one's original hair, I don't feel the same stigma towards it as I'd feel towards a wig. If it is attached to your scalp hair by hair then it is yours, no matter what it is made of :)

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
It might be akin to living with doll's hair.

- - - Updated - - -

This is where a lot of my interest comes from and great point again Joan.
If this works well for even a minority of sufferers and isnt "too costly" this would be an industry milestone.
Don't want to hype it up but I am encouraged by the attention here so far. :)
I.D, this would be great for women because of our diffuse thinning and thus no lack of stable donor sites. I would definitely consider this when the time comes. A wig is a HUGE fear for me. Who cares about having the same style and color. A woman's scalp looks hideous to me, and I'd happily live with the same hairstyle for the rest of my life. Good find. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Thanx for the link. It's rather refreshing to observe that Dr.Sheta does not appear to sensationalize her/their technology.

This generally is the hallmark of a serious PROFESSIONAL.
I always was interested in biofibres and never understood why this technique was not pursued (I understand it's hard to find something that won't get rejected by the body , but surely something should have been found by now)
Anhow, this is a presentation (hard to understand/hear) from this Dr + some before after screenshots from the presentation

+ I saw some references to http://www.biofibre.com in another video, not sure if she's related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCLEwt-gows

attachment.php
attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it would be irresponsible of me not to include this recent find. Fairness and balance is paramount and tantamount to our efforts to gain new/newer insight

in scientific advancements in hair loss without injuring our moral/physical wellbeing nor insulting our commitment to logic.

It is obvious to say the least that more critical analysis and research needs to be carried out in order to ascertain/verify said technology's safety ramifications.

https://www.quora.com/Is-biofibre-hair-transplant-effective

Brady

Reaction score
Curious if hellouser can chime in on this topic. I know its far from a cure but as a person who would never get a transplant because of the scarring issue this seems like a decent option. If anyone has more info on this please do share. Thanks

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Like I posted on another forum, 'a permanent hair system is perhaps the only tenable cure for alopecia'.

There might be different approaches to this:
1) biofibres; challenges of it being treated as a foreign body can be overcome with a artifical skin graft over the scalp and then a biofibre transplant. It's a frankenstein-esque solution but it may just work.

2) Another is the bioengineered skin tissue that can grow hair. Either way, we ought to get rid of the diseased male pattern baldness scalp.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Like I posted on another forum, 'a permanent hair system is perhaps the only tenable cure for alopecia'.

There might be different approaches to this:
1) biofibres; challenges of it being treated as a foreign body can be overcome with a artifical skin graft over the scalp and then a biofibre transplant. It's a frankenstein-esque solution but it may just work.

2) Another is the bioengineered skin tissue that can grow hair. Either way, we ought to get rid of the diseased male pattern baldness scalp.

I read an article somewhere that indicated they overcame the rejection issue with biofibers. As in, they have synthesized a material that the body will not reject. The only issue is, they stated that the fibers would have to be replaced every few months to a couple of years... I will try and find it.

Lynch39

Reaction score
just imagine..
perfect unlimited transplantable cyborg/doll hair
Better than waiting for a biological cure that will provide us 100% regrowth (pfft, yeah)

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
just imagine..
perfect unlimited transplantable cyborg/doll hair
Better than waiting for a biological cure that will provide us 100% regrowth (pfft, yeah)

I don't really care either way. If someone is able to create synthetic hair that lasts for years and entirely resembles a head of NW1 hair then I am game. Hell, no more hair cuts or anything! :D

Brady

Reaction score
Ive tried contacting the company 3 times now with questions
-Do you have Canadian operations?
-will the implanted hairs harm any pther hairs around that point
-are there any infection risks

no reply, which to me is very shady. As a business owner, it's my job to get back to every potential customer and existing clients.

This procedure for me would likely solve my issues as I only need filling in at the thining crown area. I've been on minoxidil for 2 years now and have stopped loosing hair, the issue of a transplant is out of the question as scarring is something i wont settle with as i'd like to leave the option of shaving my head if I start loosing my hair again.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
this 3d made me study artificial hair after my bad experience with them 24 yrs ago.
it seems this biofibre thing is around since 20 yrs, and it has a number of tough issues. ok, hopes in that buried again.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Please do. This is fantastic news if these claims are true. It means that we have some progress on this front. With further advancements we may just have the ideal hair system and never have to go back to an obsessive state of neverending misery.

I read an article somewhere that indicated they overcame the rejection issue with biofibers. As in, they have synthesized a material that the body will not reject. The only issue is, they stated that the fibers would have to be replaced every few months to a couple of years... I will try and find it.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Please do. This is fantastic news if these claims are true. It means that we have some progress on this front. With further advancements we may just have the ideal hair system and never have to go back to an obsessive state of neverending misery.

http://www.biofibre.com/en/hair-implants/implant-procedure/

I think this is it? I don't know too much about this and haven't researched it because I am now WAY to skeptical and cautious to let anyone touch my head. Let me know what you think. I think the major disadvantage would be constantly having to go back in when the fibers break.

- - - Updated - - -

How long will the aesthetic result of a Biofibre Hair Implant last? The duration of the aesthetic result obtained with a Biofibre hair implant varies depending on the correct management of the post-implant period. The literature on the subject reports an annual loss of approximately 10 % of the implanted fibers.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I have to wonder how much this procedure will compromise hair transplant surgery prospects, if a patron of a Biofibre hair implant were ever to make a change of plans and opt for a future hair transplant surgery.
To clarify: Will the implant method cause enough tissue damage or post scarring issues to utterly forfeit options of having a successful results with hair transplant work later on?