FUE scaring (pic)

Petchsky

Reaction score
There seems to be a popular misconception that with FUE you get away from being scared, not true...although, it's not as bad as an ear to ear scar. I present to you exhibit A,

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/atta ... &forumid=1

I'm not sure of the size of the tool that was used on this gentleman, but i'm sure there are smaller extraction tools than were used on him. Unfortunately this guy seems to have received a butchering judging by those awful strip scars.

Nevertheless, from my research it appears to me that some people are just NOT good candidates for FUE at this present moment in time. Also, FUE mega sessions should be avoided imho. Doctor fatigue does seem to set in, and is so called because results seem to suffer the longer the session goes on. If you are going for FUE, and you're a good candidate, make sure it's a small session.

And just to add, the FUE survival rate is no where near as good as strip, this 95% survival rate for FUE is a lie perpetuated by a certain clinic looking to hoodwink people in to FUE transplant.

scar5

Reaction score
You bring up a good point - fatigue. But I think it is good to point out two other things,

1) The extraction techniques vary between FUE clinics as do the organization of who does what

a) Some docs do all extractions; some get their techs to do them - using teams sometimes. The
experience these techs have is anyone's guess and could be varibale. However, the fatigue factor is not
something anyone can universally state compromises FUE unless they know that one person will be
doing them all the work or a certain portion deemed to be 'too much'. Personally, I would choose a manual punch operated by the doctor and hence this would restrcict the size of the session. Unless I could get ********, Umar, Woods in the one room, I would be wary of mega session FUE at this point, but that doesn't mean FUE is limited by fatigue per se, it just tells us about how clinics organize their operation. And it Dr. Umar or DR. Woods does a megaseesion spread over five days, what's wrong with that?

b) Some clinics use manual punches where a human hand is used to rotate the tool back and forth like a
washing machine spinner as it pushes through the skin. Blunt and sharp tools are used. Some are small in diameter and some are bigger. Others use a rotary electrical device that spins in one direction at a much higher rpm. THe tech can simply replace the chuck and insert different size diameter hollow drills into it (The hand punch can go 360 degrees and then it goes back)

Which is better? I certainly don't know. I suspect the rotary device causes less torsion and stress on
the graft but is less accurate and would do more damage via simple transection. It would be easier to use, hence less fatigue, but that being so, then the docs would be tempted to give it to techs. I don't like it because I want to doctor to 'feel' the punch going in. THen again, maybe guys with straight fine hair would suit the device. THing is, the protocol is already set up at each clinic - even though they might tell you they can 'do it all' they will still have a 'default' way of doing things and will optimize their opeartion around this.

2) Fear of FUE scarring has been perpetuated (with some, but definitely qualifiable evidence)throughout this decade by the strip industry.Remember that FUE had been bashed pillar to post from the mid-90s to the middle part of this decade. ANd especially after 2000 when it apeared stateside. First it was simply called a scam, (doesn't work) then it was butchery (white dots, transection), then it was hype,(thanks to Armani's marketing sleaze) now it is a 'qualified success' (check Feller, ********)- that is , it can sit 'beside' strip and is suitable for some candidates and in small doses. And I wonder what it's gonna be next? IMO, the 'qualified success' is a phase and a phrase that will be weak in five or ten years. Note that the good Dr. Feller oftenpoints to the increased volume of scarring FUE results in. BUt how much is visible? THey will have to find another excuse for shackling FUE down - seeming they couldn't cripple it. nOte too the incision transection rate for strip- rarely mentioned (docs say 'we try for 5%') and remember a 30cm scar creates a 60cm incision. ANd then ask about the loss of telegon hair in a strip? Cna they treally see telegon hairs under the?microscope?

Transection is a real worry for FUE, no doubt and I would be wary of white dots - check cause the big docs have different reults for this. And then there is another thing 'white dot fever', a plague started and perpetuated by strip docs their association in the early '00s. I would also watch out for the FUE megaseesions and composite doctors qualifiyng FUE. Ask oneself, why don't Umar and Woods do strip? Nothing beats an ear-to-ear scar if one is looking for a good scar.

The fatigue factor, the higher transection rates and the white dot scarring are the big three reasons strip has maintained a

CCS

Reaction score

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
the real question is if you'd rather have that awful strip scar that is above the little white dots. If and when people notice these things their eyes will be drawn to the big pink/red strip scar and the little white dots won't even be an issue.

CCS

Reaction score
I totally agree the strip scar is worse. And the only reason we can see the dots is because he got a tan and scars don't tan the same way skin does. Just saying I would not want my legs looking like that. And it would be niece if they could do it with smaller punches. But the smaller the punch, the more careful the doctor has to be to avoid transecting the follicle or shocking it.

If you don't shave your head, and your scalp stays white, no one will see the dots. They do see a strip scar though.

But anyone would agree the total surface area of the dots is greater than that of the strip, but the dots are less noticeable, especially if your scalp is not tanned or you got hair.

I just don't want to get BHT if that is the size of the scar. I'll only get FUE if it is surrounded by my hair.

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow! Those are some pretty nasty scars. Strip and fue both.
I think different doctors have different protocols. I had grafts taken from my beard and have no scars. This patient mustve had big punches working on him. Who did his fue?

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
the real question is if you'd rather have that awful strip scar that is above the little white dots. If and when people notice these things their eyes will be drawn to the big pink/red strip scar and the little white dots won't even be an issue.

It would be best to have neither.

CCS

Reaction score
Devender said:
This patient mustve had big punches working on him.

Some docs use motorized punches. Others turn back and forth to cut in by hand. Others use a 25g needle, after putting salt water under the scalp, and just core the follicle and squirt it out where needed. The third method would take great care to avoid transecting a follicle, but if done right would leave a tiny scar.