FUE = Cure to Hairloss?

talbin

Reaction score
I might be missing something but assuming you have a fund of $250,000 to use for your hair in your lifetime; isn't FUE the cure? The only thing I am unsure of is if the donor area hair grows back. I'm guessing that if they remove the entire follicle it is gone and put into the front of your head but I am not 100% sure. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Talbin,

FUE merely moves the hair follicle from one part of your scalp (back) and replaces it in another part of your scalp (front).

The harvested areas will not regrow, since the follicles are no longer there. However, because of the directional growth of the hair at the back of your head, you can harvest a fair amount of hairs with FUE without losing any apparent density in the donor area.

There is another procedure known as FM (folliucular multiplication). I have read about it on Hairlosshelp previously, where someone was saying they had had it done. With FM, *apparently* half the follicle is removed, so that both the harvest area and the target area regrow hair.

This second procedure sounds bizarre and pretty much impossible to me though. Then again, I have not really researched it too thoroughly. It is more expensive than FUE.

G

There is no cure for male pattern baldness period. No form of surgery will ever cure male pattern baldness. But is it possible to achieve an appearance of restoration? Sure, there are many that have achieved it including myself.

Be careful of over-harvesting the donor area with FUE. It can produce a moth-eaten appearance, I know, I have seen it in person enough times.

And I would definitely wait on the HM thing. There is a fair amount of conflicting information and it has a long way to go. No pun intended, hearing about it is one thing, seeing it with success "consistently" is another issue altogethor. :roll:

michael barry

Reaction score
Gillenator,
Is there any new news on the body hair to head front?
I know we have about a million body hairs on our bodies and that a couple of docs (Angela Campbell and another one) have successfully transplanted them to heads and they grew long and thick, but dont see any more surgeons getting to this. I know the cost was prohibitive unless some new ways of harvesting can be invented.

Is anyone else pursuing this line of hair transplant's?

BTW, Im like you, just not a believer in a one-to-one surgery being a cure of baldness for many men. Many guys are gonna horseshoe if they live past 65 or so and just WONT have enough donor no matter how well-placed the folliculars are. Unfortuately the younger the balding starts, the more ineffective transplantation will be for these horsehoe Norwoods.

G

Hi Michael,

Sorry it took me a few days to respond back to you as I was out of town over the weekend.

I certainly agree with your comments and that is why I also challenge patients to think things through especially considering the limitations in our donor supply.

I have also been aware of Dr. Woods and Campbell's BHT trials, specifically their "chest to scalp" cases. IMO, there are not enough BHT cases published disclosing the yields. BHTs should really be considered as a last resort or for repair siituations where there is no more scalp donor and/or where scalp laxity is tight. And then consider doing a small test procedure to see in fact how the yield is before committing to anything sizable which would be very costly.