FUE Consideration - Seeking advice! 35/M

Juddyau

Reaction score
Long time listener first time caller!

So, to be honest, my hair loss hasn't affected me too much, yeah I know its there but nobody cares so I shouldn't care too much either right? Wrong, I still care a little bit. I've managed to be in a position where I can afford to make it a little better. I'm not expecting a full head of hair again but some coverage would be nice. I look sh*t with a shaved head!

Short story, started losing hair at 24/25 and just didn't do anything about it. My bad. The crown is the worst area but the front, while receded a little has remained okay but would help from some extra density.

I contacted a clinic that has a reputable surgeon (removed names per rules) to see what can be done with FUE. Initial comments are 'high area of loss' and 'limited donor area'. I am cognisant of the first comment but the second not 100% sure? Maybe it was the photos (I have uploaded the one I sent plus another with shorter hair to get a better idea see the 2nd photo and last photo for comparison). Given some of you guys are well more experienced in this than me, was wondering if you could throw a Norwood rating and estimate of grafts needed to make some difference. Also some comments on donor area would be welcome.

Cheers :)

IMG_0165.jpgIMG_0172.jpgIMG_5834.jpgIMG_5835.jpgIMG_5836.jpg

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would say 3500 is needed to make a difference at a minimum, maybe around 2000 in the crown area and then moving forward from there. You do have a smallish donor area because it is thin at the bottom and the top has receeded down quite a bit. If you are not using finasteride you might consider it to help keep what you do have. I know some in here might say 3500 is not enough but you have to start somewhere.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could do what Fred did, get a low density hair transplant, keep a buzz cut, it would look like you're not balding, thought growing it out wouldn't be an option.

- - - Updated - - -

As your hair goes grey and the contrast between scalp and hair lessens, the buzzcut would look even better.

Juddyau

Reaction score
^^^ Funny you should mention Fred, I was just reading that thread earlier :)

Pequod, I am realistic about the expectations, a little coverage at the back and I can cut it shorter again. Only reason I keep a bit now is because it sort of takes the attention away and it looks a little better than short. Had a response from one clinic today that 'not a good candidate' as not on finasteride. I understand this but I guess its a matter of what you are chasing.. me, just some evenness on the top and perhaps some shape. I left it too long for density.. so just being able to have a decent short cut will be nice! It seems to have stopped for the last 4-5 years which is I guess something for now! Figure I'd like to enjoy it when still young.

GCHR

Reaction score
Where do you live?

Juddyau

Reaction score
Down under. Can get to Europe relatively cheaply and have a UK passport so no entry issues.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
You're a diffuse thinner in front, which is bad - it means you could be hit hard by "shock loss" post surgery (the surgery can accelerate your hair loss). It's possible to end up with less hair after surgery than before, because of shock loss. Not being on Propecia would be a factor there too (it's the "at risk" hairs which don't return). The crown can use up a ton of grafts, so it's considered less of a priority (more priority is given to the hairline and frontal third). So many doctors would hesitate to graft in the crown before addressing the front (another factor which isn't a plus for you). I don't know how the clinic can assess your donor supply based on a photo (?) since nothing really jumps out at me, but that is also a big factor. You could get a transplant but in my opinion, you're not an ideal candidate and therefore your results will not be great (however, it may still be satisfactory to you). Personally, I don't think guys should get hair transplant unless they are obviously good candidates - I think it's too risky.

jd_uk

Reaction score
Long time listener first time caller!

So, to be honest, my hair loss hasn't affected me too much, yeah I know its there but nobody cares so I shouldn't care too much either right? Wrong, I still care a little bit. I've managed to be in a position where I can afford to make it a little better. I'm not expecting a full head of hair again but some coverage would be nice. I look sh*t with a shaved head!

Short story, started losing hair at 24/25 and just didn't do anything about it. My bad. The crown is the worst area but the front, while receded a little has remained okay but would help from some extra density.

I contacted a clinic that has a reputable surgeon (removed names per rules) to see what can be done with FUE. Initial comments are 'high area of loss' and 'limited donor area'. I am cognisant of the first comment but the second not 100% sure? Maybe it was the photos (I have uploaded the one I sent plus another with shorter hair to get a better idea see the 2nd photo and last photo for comparison). Given some of you guys are well more experienced in this than me, was wondering if you could throw a Norwood rating and estimate of grafts needed to make some difference. Also some comments on donor area would be welcome.

Cheers :)

View attachment 36227View attachment 36228View attachment 36229View attachment 36230View attachment 36231

If i were you i would just shave it down and make the most of other factors of your appearance which can be controlled. Worrying about hair loss when you already have lost quite a bit is a certain route to unhappiness i think. But by all means see a good surgeon if you do want to go down that route.. maybe one like fred could work but it's a long shot and maybe tougher as you have dark hair.

You probably look better than you think witj it shaved down.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
If i were you i would just shave it down and make the most of other factors of your appearance which can be controlled. Worrying about hair loss when you already have lost quite a bit is a certain route to unhappiness i think. But by all means see a good surgeon if you do want to go down that route.. maybe one like fred could work but it's a long shot and maybe tougher as you have dark hair.

You probably look better than you think witj it shaved down.

Yours looks like mine was when I got mine done, a little more severe though. We both utilized that island of hair as weird filler. Typhoon hairbrush would swirl it around until it was just messy enough to leave for the day with your head held a bit high.
Anyway I think you could easily get your front region repaired.
Your donor is so so, which is prob the benefit I had. You could easily use hair from your sides and lower back to rebuild the front. Let that come in and see if the crown bothers you. If it does look into that after the first fully fills in.
I cant give you a graft number, sorry but In just the front you could get away with 1500 to 2000, more or less, well placed since that front tuft is still there. Double that for the entire head.
Hows your beard, can you use that? My Doctor said he would when I came back for more. Im a hairy WOP so I also want to try using body hair as density filler.

As for the guy before me, you look a bit like myself and I did not look good shaved at all, but by all means try it and see if you can just cope with that first. I shaved for near 2 years before it became to much to handle.

jd_uk

Reaction score
Yours looks like mine was when I got mine done, a little more severe though. We both utilized that island of hair as weird filler. Typhoon hairbrush would swirl it around until it was just messy enough to leave for the day with your head held a bit high.
Anyway I think you could easily get your front region repaired.
Your donor is so so, which is prob the benefit I had. You could easily use hair from your sides and lower back to rebuild the front. Let that come in and see if the crown bothers you. If it does look into that after the first fully fills in.
I cant give you a graft number, sorry but In just the front you could get away with 1500 to 2000, more or less, well placed since that front tuft is still there. Double that for the entire head.
Hows your beard, can you use that? My Doctor said he would when I came back for more. Im a hairy WOP so I also want to try using body hair as density filler.

As for the guy before me, you look a bit like myself and I did not look good shaved at all, but by all means try it and see if you can just cope with that first. I shaved for near 2 years before it became to much to handle.

Presume you meant to quote the OP?