Fredthebelgium..............white Polar Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fred I got the impression that your gyno was finasteride induced I was mistaken. I also got the impression that you were anti propecia which I agree with 100%

I read a thread on how you got your gyno it was from an anti depressant. Either way guys should probably stay away from Propecia too because like you wrote no one should have to have a reverse boob job.

Fred Wrote in 2013

In the end, who is a right candidate for hair transplant? A guy who starts losing his hair at 29, who is NW3 bu the age of 35 and who accept to risk his sex life for the long-term (1% risk is still a risk) by taking Propecia and then receive 3000 grafts to become a NW0?

Then this guy will be praized here "excellent results man, that's nice you got on the meds (finasteride), you will never progress man, because propecia is the cure for male pattern baldness, we all know that here!". That's the general impression I get of this forum. And it's just not true, the guy will progress, sometimes to a NW7! Even with propecia.

But a guy who is NW5 at 23, who is gyno prone, will be given sh*t for not taking that drug (prohairclinic said "not WILLING to take finasteride! Yeah because I want another reverse boobjob" when it's been made clear by doctors he absolutely can't take it, then for willing a transplant because he is too young and too bald. See I can act stupid! I Needed to vent. I'll just be bald then, if I can't get past the daily insults from other guys, I think my life will be OK.

https://www.hairlossexperiences.com/view_post.php?post_id=33859

Last edited:

The Baldy Man

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So what if you don't want to go bald or at least want to hold it off? Without Propecia you don't have a chance against early/aggressive balding. You are telling guys to accept a 100 percent guarantee of continued balding because of the minimal risk of side effects. At least a boobjob can be reversed, it is very difficult to reverse baldness. So I should just quit taking Propecia and become a slick bald public spectacle in my early 20 uni days? No thanks, I want to at least have a chance. You also tell guys not to get hair transplants? So have you just come here to tell us to just shave it bro? Or do you suggest that young balding guys should forego meds and transplants and become rug wearers?

You might think I am vain, but how can you not be vain and self conscious when you are the one balding 21 year old guy in an ocean full of super thick NW1 pompadours. I just want to look somewhat normal for my age and not become a bald anomaly.

dr75

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you telling people not to take finasteride because there's a <%1 risk of gyno? The anti-propecia approach to balding is basically saying you should accept it.

How does getting gyno from an antidepressant guarantee finasteride-induced gyno? Is there any evidence to that? Had that Fred guy taken propecia back in those days he would have much more hair right now. Gyno is horrible, yes but also hair matters a lot for a young man. I don't think any of us would stand a chance without finasteride.

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Persistent Sexual Side Effects of Finasteride for Male Pattern Hair Loss
Authors
  • First published: 18 March 2011Full publication history
  • DOI: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2011.02255.x View/save citation
  • Cited by (CrossRef): 37 articles

• Picked up by 1 news outlets
    Blogged by 4
    Tweeted by 8
    On 1 Facebook pages
    Referenced in 1 Wikipedia pages
    Reddited by 1
    Highlighted by 1 platforms
    On 2 videos
    48 readers on Mendeley
    See more details | Close this
    × " data-badge-popover="bottom" style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-position: 0px 0px; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(47, 123, 174); display: inline-block;">
    46.png

Michael S. Irwig, MD, Department of Medicine, The George Washington University, 2150 Pennsylvania Ave Norwood, Suite 3-416, Washington, DC 20037, USA. Tel: 2027412489; Fax: 2027412490; E-mail: mirwig@mfa.gwu.edu

ABSTRACT
Introduction.  Finasteride has been associated with reversible adverse sexual side effects in multiple randomized, controlled trials for the treatment of male pattern hair loss (MPHL). The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency of the United Kingdom and the Swedish Medical Products Agency have both updated their patient information leaflets to include a statement that “persistence of erectile dysfunction after discontinuation of treatment with Propecia has been reported in post-marketing use.”

Aim.  We sought to characterize the types and duration of persistent sexual side effects in otherwise healthy men who took finasteride for MPHL.

Methods.  We conducted standardized interviews with 71 otherwise healthy men aged 21–46 years who reported the new onset of sexual side effects associated with the temporal use of finasteride, in which the symptoms persisted for at least 3 months despite the discontinuation of finasteride.

Main Outcome Measures.  The types and duration of sexual dysfunction and the changes in perceived sexual frequency and sexual dysfunction score between pre- and post-finasteride use.

Results.  Subjects reported new-onset persistent sexual dysfunction associated with the use of finasteride: 94% developed low libido, 92% developed erectile dysfunction, 92% developed decreased arousal, and 69% developed problems with orgasm. The mean number of sexual episodes per month dropped and the total sexual dysfunction score increased for before and after finasteride use according to the Arizona Sexual Experience Scale (P < 0.0001 for both). The mean duration of finasteride use was 28 months and the mean duration of persistent sexual side effects was 40 months from the time of finasteride cessation to the interview date. Study limitations include a post hoc approach, selection bias, recall bias for before finasteride data, and no serum hormone levels.

Conclusion.  Physicians treating MPHL should discuss the potential risk of persistent sexual side effects associated with finasteride. Irwig MS and Kolukula S. Persistent sexual side effects of finasteride for male pattern hair loss. J Sex Med 2011;8:1747–1753.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2011.02255.x/abstract

dr75

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Our study has several limitations. Most importantly, the retrospective nature of this study does not allow us to estimate what percentage of prospective finasteride users would develop persistent
sexual side effects. A second limitation is selection bias in which those subjects experiencing more
severe side effects, or those for whom sexuality is a more significant aspect of their life, would be more likely to participate in a study looking at sexual
parameters. Another limitation is recall bias, in which subjects may not have remembered certain
details such as the exact month when they started finasteride. Furthermore, no serum hormone levels were measured. Although this study does not
prove that finasteride caused persistent sexual side effects, the validity of our findings is supported by the known sexual side effects of finasteride in ran- domized, controlled trials, the temporal association of the onset of sexual dysfunction with the use of finasteride in otherwise healthy men, and the biological plausibility of the role of androgens and progestins in areas of the brain and peripheral nervous system associated with libido, orgasm, and
erectile function.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thread aimed at single users are not allowed. We have private conversations for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.