FOxnews: Hair Cloning Nears Reality!

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hair Cloning Nears Reality as Baldness Cure
Friday, November 05, 2004
By Daniel J. DeNoon

Balding men and women take note. Hair cloning — the next hair restoration remedy — is on the way.

OK, it's not exactly cloning (search), although that’s what it’s come to be called. Researchers working to perfect the new technique prefer the term "hair multiplication." (search)

And no, it's not ready for prime time. Not yet, says Ken Washenik, MD, PhD. Washenik is medical director for Bosley, the giant hair restoration company that's one of several firms racing to bring hair multiplication to market. He's also clinical assistant professor of dermatology at New York University Medical Center.

"There is no doubt it will be a tremendous breakthrough," Washenik tells WebMD. "It is the thing people have been waiting for. There have been so many remedies for hair loss that didn't pan out. This is one that really looks like it is going to happen — and happen in the next few years."

It's not just hype, says hair researcher George Cotsarelis, professor of dermatology and director of the hair and scalp clinic, at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia. Cotsarelis consults for Bosley, but is not involved in the company's research program.

"It is hard to predict whether they will be successful, but there is good evidence that will happen," Cotsarelis tells WebMD. "It is not quackery — they are not charlatans. It is based on real scientific knowledge. But there are a lot of hurdles still to overcome."

The promise of early research often evaporates in the harsh light of clinical testing. Yet Washenik predicts that hair multiplication will be available for hair restoration in three or four years.

Hair Restoration Today and Tomorrow

The hair follicle is a tiny organ with an odd power: It contains stem cells that can regenerate it.

At the base of the follicle is the hair bulb, where wildly growing matrix cells (search) become hair. A little farther up the follicle is the mysterious feature called the bulge. That's where follicle stem cells (search) live.

When they get the right set of chemical signals, these self-renewing cells divide. They don't divide like normal cells, in which both halves become new cells that keep splitting and developing. Only one half of the follicle stem cell does that. The other half becomes a new stem cell, and stays put for future regeneration.

The Holy Grail of hair restoration would be to figure out exactly how these chemical signals work. A future drug might contain all the signals needed to grow hair in bald areas of the head. But the complexity of the body's chemical language means such a drug is decades from reality, Washenik says.

But it's already possible to seed bald areas of the head by transplanting follicle from areas where there's still plenty of hair. This works pretty well for men, who generally don't lose the hair on the back of the head. For women, however, age-related hair loss often affects the back of the head. That's why hair transplants tend to be much less successful for women.

And there are only so many hair follicles. Even successful hair transplants don't grow as rich a crop of hair as most people would like.

Hair Cloning: What It Is — and Isn't

The basic idea behind hair cloning is to harvest healthy follicle stem cells. But instead of transplanting them right away, researchers have learned how to make the stem cells or seeds multiply.

It's not cloning, which uses different techniques. New follicle stem cells are grown in laboratory cultures. Then they are attached to tiny skin-cell scaffolds and implanted into bald areas of the scalp.

"The idea is to take these cells from the bulb of the hair, grow them in culture, and come back with an increased number of hair seeds you could inject into the scalp," Washenik says. "You start with a small number of hairs and come back with a larger number of hair seeds, and inject them into one area, and just create brand-new hair follicles."

Moreover, researchers have discovered that some follicle cells do more than regenerate. They give off chemical signals. Nearby follicle cells — which have shrunk during the aging process — respond to these signals by regenerating and once again making healthy hair. It works in lab mice. And, Washenik says, it works in human skin cultures, too.

"So this three-to-four-years-away number is not fantasy," Washenik says. "It is biotechnology research, and nature can always step in the way and slow things down. But the concept of tissue-engineered hair growth to create a new hair organ looks very real."

By Daniel J. DeNoon, reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD

SOURCES: Ken Washenik, MD, PhD, medical director, Bosley; and clinical assistant professor of dermatology, New York University Medical Center. George Cotsarelis, professor of dermatology and director, Hair and Scalp Clinic, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137754,00.html

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The promise of early research often evaporates in the harsh light of clinical testing. Yet Washenik predicts that hair multiplication will be available for hair restoration in three or four years.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I feel amazing now... don't you?

Yes I do, those are good good GOOD news.

When HM available i´ll put on my self a f*****g monkey density for whatever prize they charge, i won´t stop till i be able to see no scalp even at #1 blade, god know I will.

I will say fare thee well to my long hated scalp once and for ever.

I´m gonna install those multiplied follicles in my f*****g sides and in my back. I think I´m gonna get some extra follicles to carry´em on my pocket and spread them all over the world. I´m gonna be a follicle giver, not the sad follicle needer i am.

Cassin

Reaction score
Solo said:
When HM available i´ll put on my self a f*****g monkey density for whatever prize they charge, i won´t stop till i be able to see no scalp even at #1 blade, god know I will.

Not sure if your joking here but a lot of people think they will do this.

One thing people need to realize. It doesn't matter how much hair you gather to transplant, you can only puncture the skin so many times in one area. That gives you limited density options.

But that only matters for those with lots of loss who want to gain a lot of ground back. Norwood 3 and above. People with moderate to minimal loss can regain most of the density since they have less areas to fill in and less areas to punture over and over, but those folks have plenty of donor hair anyway since they have less to fill in to begin with.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
god to know u guys are feeling elated by the news.

Not all my posting are all that bad afterall

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Anyone saw the latest news about the stem cell research?
I think this HM is nothing but stem cell research . And it may the better than the other types of "replacement" surgeries by stem cells cause hair is hair and its outside the body as opposed to other organs being replaced which may cause some adverse body reactions

drinkrum

Reaction score
chewbaca,

Your font size is too big. Also, I hope you punks realize that even with HM, etc. you will still need to be on finasteride! HM is not the end solution.

D.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was joking, but who knows... :p

I don´t understand exactly what you mean with "limited puncture". Is it limited in your entire scalp? in a certain area?

And another point, do we still have to be talking abut "donor hair" in hair multiplication? I thought the point was: they multiply your follicles and insert them in your scalp, no donor hair, no strip, no scar, no ammo limitations for the transplant...

Cassin

Reaction score
Solo said:
I don´t understand exactly what you mean with "limited puncture". Is it limited in your entire scalp? in a certain area?...

A certain area.

Solo said:
And another point, do we still have to be talking abut "donor hair" in hair multiplication? I thought the point was: they multiply your follicles and insert them in your scalp, no donor hair, no strip, no scar, no ammo limitations for the transplant...

Well thats my point, HM doesn't matter in some cases. Take a Norwood 7, he can have as much harvested hair to give him the density and look of when he was 14 but it won't matter because you can't puncture the scalp enough times to insert that many hairs. The scalp can only take so much trauma.

HM never has interested me that much, the future is prevention, not HM.

jmoney32

Reaction score
i just like that fact that it strengthens the hairs you still have on your head because hm is nothing but a hair transplant.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here see the corelation with stem cell research....the truth is that in stem cell research they are nearing completion and it almosy possible to put the theory into practical purpose.

The only sh*t thing now with this HM is all that phase trials and FDA approval....

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:

The future is only prevention if you have hair to save.

This limitaion on puncture sites, would it be possible to have a HM-hair transplant then wait for the scalp to recover from the trauma and then go for another HM-hair transplant....???

Cassin

Reaction score
TynanW said:
Cassin said:

The future is only prevention if you have hair to save.

True now, but for those down the line this holds true.

TynanW said:
This limitaion on puncture sites, would it be possible to have a HM-hair transplant then wait for the scalp to recover from the trauma and then go for another HM-hair transplant....???

I haven't read anything that suggests HM is a gentler procedure on the scalp. At some point scarring comes in, preventing future transplantation regardless of time.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
where are you getting all this from cassin? i've never read anything that spoke of overly fibrosed tissue leading to a lack of ability to implant hairs. do you have a link or anything?

all they are doing is putting in a tiny needle into your scalp, while this causes some damage, i doubt it would lead to "scarring", eventually the skin recovers and goes back to its complete original state. I don't see why it would inhibit the ability of future hair sites.

hardcastle

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
chewbaca,

I hope you punks realize that even with HM, etc. you will still need to be on finasteride! HM is not the end solution.

D.

True, HM will only get back what's been lost - it won't save normal follicles. I think the idea most people here have, though, is to get back what they lost through a HM procedure, get off the meds, and then replace the rest as it starts to go.

Cassin, I understand that there's a limit to the density that HM can yield, but my understanding was that this density could be the same as a natural head of hair. This is the first thing that guys like Washenik always bring up in HM discussions - the perfected procedure will produce natural density, and people can return as often as necessary for follow-up jobs, like they do for hair transplants now.

Now, I know that Washenik is trying to sell this, so he isn't going to be as cheerful and open about any drawbacks, but yours was the first post I read that brought up the issue of scarring posing a limit to density. Although I think it's a reasonable concern, articles I've read on HM suggests that this will indeed be a less invasive procedure than a traditional hair transplant, because nothing's getting cut - the procedure involves micro-injections. There'll be some scar tissue right after this happens, probably, but I didn't have the impression that this was lasting.

Where did you read this?

Cassin

Reaction score
I read it on one of skinbiology's web sites. I will try to find it for you guys. Or maybe I read it over at HTN.

But to paraphrase, there is a certain level of scarring that prevents optimum blood flow for the newly transplanted follicle to be as healthy as it needs to be after a certain area has been punctured too many times.

And hey, maybe what I read was wrong, I hope so.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
I read it on one of skinbiology's web sites. I will try to find it for you guys. Or maybe I read it over at HTN.

But to paraphrase, there is a certain level of scarring that prevents optimum blood flow for the newly transplanted follicle to be as healthy as it needs to be after a certain area has been punctured too many times.

And hey, maybe what I read was wrong, I hope so.

makes sense....which is why its always adviable to do hair transplant in increments