First time poster seeking advice

Lomu

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Been lurking here for a few days now and this is my first post....so hoping I can find some good advice. Have a read and let me know what all the seasoned experts (or anyone) thinks.

My story is as follows....27 yrs old, been losing hair since 17, probably worst from age 21-24. Only losing in the front and im probs a NW3/4. There is a v fine peninsula at the front which is probably on its way out. Basically once its gone i think things will look 10 times worse as i would then have the dreaded horseshoe look at the front, so one of my main goals is to kepp the front part there and maybe not worry too much about the receeding temples. Been on minoxidil and finas for 4 1/2 yrs now, which has prevented further loss in the thick area, but the frontal part has continued to thin out. I actually think the front looks a bit unnatural cus it looks v pluggy and is so thin!

On the plus side I have really good donor. I'm not looking for anything too drastic and its important to me tha no-one ever knows I've had a hair transplant. So basically I'm thinking of going down the Feller postage stamp route replacing the hair over time, bit by bit. If viable I'm hoping to have the first sess to fill out the frontal parts density a little (ie not creating a new hairline just increasing the density a bit), after which I can then assess the whole hair transplant idea again. If I then feel its not for me Ill probably just buzz down to a 2 (and maybe use electrolysis if necessary to get rid of the transplanted grafts) and accept life as a baldy!! But if I'm happy with the result I will then go back and fill in the density of the front again and consider further surgeries to bring the receeding temple hirline forward a little bit at a time. I'm definetly not looking to get back to my former glory due to the fact that itll then be obvious that Ive had surgery not to mention the fact that if i do go on to lose more and more hair i want to be able to have enough donor to allow enough hair transplant coverage and to still look natural.

Some of my main concerns are:
- the shockloss to those frontal weak buggers and having to go back to the office after with a net loss
- I would probably take 3 weeks off work, but am worried that this might not be enough for when i go back to work and colleagues would know work has been done. Yikes!
-Given that I'm aiming to get to the full density in the frontal area via a couple of sessions I'm concerned that this may lead to an unnatural result. So is it true that if you dont get the full density straight away then the chance of an unnatural looking hair transplant are increased? Hence I'm not sure if my plan to increase the density in the front via a couple of procedures is a good plan or not, but at the same time I don't want to suddenly get a really dense front part over the course of a year.
- I've also heard that FUE can leave scarring so maybe buzzing the hair down in the future may not even be possible??
- FUE leading to a moth eaten appearance in the donor??

My research has indicated that I would probably have to resign myself to the fact that the front hairs would probably go about 3 weeks after the sugery and I would then be in a position of net loss until probably about 3/4 months post hair transplant.

The old man is prob a NW7 so I guess over time I'll eventually hit it (although hopefully at a much slower rate with the help of Finas). I'm not overly concerned by this as I am prepared to have furhter hair transplants in the future and I think as long as I don't go for a really agressive hairline then my donor should be enough to at least keep it natural looking on top if I was to go to NW7. By this I mean that hopefully the donor would cover the top bar the crown area and you do see plently of men with a hairline and a bald crown. And I guess the progress over the years with regard to HM and BHT should provide even furhter donor. Fingers crossed.

My skin is quite sallow and the hair is light brown.

Anyways thanks for listening and helping out. All comments welcome and much appreciated.

baldsucks

Reaction score
I have had 4400 grafts in 2 surgeries both done 11 months apart in 2004. My results are lousy up to this date. My 2nd surgery was 7 months ago. I have gone from a class 5 to a class 7. These are my opinions about your questions.
1. You will have scarring in your donor area and your recipient area. So, shaving your head after a transplant will reveal lots of scars on your head. Probably not a good idea. Laser removal will most likely increase the scarring.

2. I'm an auto mechanic and I work in a very grungy, dirty environment. Not to mention the possibility of bumping my head underneath a car on something. Or, under the dash. One bump within 4 months after surgery and the grafts in the area of the bump will be permanetly damaged and will not grow any hair ever. I had to quit my job both times and I didn't work in a shop again for 3 1/2 months after each of my surgeries. Your case may be different depending on what type of environment you work in. Then, some of your co-workers will probably notice and you will look obvious for 2-4 months afterward depending on the number grafts you have done.

3. I went through the "1200 at a time - gradual replacement process"
after my first surgery which was 1200 grafts, 6 months later I had a thin hairline with nothing behind it. It looked ridiculous and I was "forced" to have another surgery. You are better off going with a large session and get all done at once if you can .Nothing has grown in after my 2nd surgery of 3200 fu grafts. 1 year and 6 months now after my 1st surgery and it still looks like I've had a bad hair transplant.

4. I'm not trying to scare you, but you should be aware that bad results are far more common than most transplant clinics and surgeons will admit.
Do a google search for "bad hair transplant results" and you will find a couple websites which give you the lowdown on the downside of the transplant surgeries. If you want I can give the website adresses of some of these sites.

5. I wish you all the best if you do a hair transplant. I hope you have better luck than I have. There are clinics which do top notch work. But, my experience is that you won't ever get a full head of hair again no matter who you go to.
The pictures of their "model" patients are always their best work. The majority of the clients that almost all surgeons do hair transplant's on, do not have as good of results as the ones you see on their websites in their "galleries". Buyer Beware!! they will not give you a refund nor will they "redo" anything for free. I wish somebody told me these things before I wasted $20,000.
Good Luck!