first-rate dermatologist

emina

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new.
First, why is Alopecia Areata under Women's Forum only, men can get it too, right?

Second, my case is really complicated and frustrating.
I had testicular cancer in 2004, went through chemo, lost all of my hair, but it grew back. Then, 3 months later, my cancer markers went back up, so they put me on experimental high dose chemotherapy for four months.
After that, my hair is miniaturized to the all over my body, and the total top of my head is sparse, like I'm totally bald, although there's still some hair growing as if it were female-pattern-baldness. In 4 months, I went from having a full, thick head of hair with no signs of balding and little family history, to looking like a 60 year old.

The frustrating part is, my oncologist doesn't care - 'it's too bad but there's nothing I can really do about it, and I don't know much about the subject." It's been about a year, and nothing has changed, maybe it's gotten worse, I can barely look in the mirror. I mean, I haven't been afforded 10-15 years to get used to this.

So I went to see a dermatologist. I checked on the American Association of Dermatologists to find one with expertise in 'hair disorders,' and cross-referenced the list with the New Yorker's list of best doctors in NYC. I went to see him, with the hope that it was something different, like Areata, of Telogen Effluvium. He looked at my scalp, and literally said, 'sometimes chemotherapy can change the texture of hair afterwards' (as if I didn't hear that before, and 'male pattern baldness may be part of the problem, but it's at a right angel to what you have,' (whatever that means).

I pleaded with him to do a scalp biopsy, and/or blood tests, and he insisted that they wouldn't really show anything and unfornuately, there's just not much you can do in this situation. I know there's at least the possibility of something other than just male pattern baldness, because my oncologist recently told me my testosterone is very low, and testosterone is needed for dht->male pattern baldness. I pleaded with him, to let me try something like anthralin cream or anything else I read about on hairloss.com, since all hairloss is related to an overt immune system including Areata, to see if anything might work, and he told me that stuff hasn't been used since the 70's. (Apparently, hairloss.com is printing stuff that is extremely out of date.)

This guy is supposed to be one of the best, and he was telling me stuff that meant nothing, and virtually refused to do anything except take my 200-300 dollars.

My first question is, was this guy as full of it as I think he is, or is he right in that there's nothing to do so why bother trying? And my second question is, does anybody have any thoughts on my situation?

natz_6264

Reaction score
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It must be tough.

Well I can sympathise with you - I've lost nearly all my eyebrows in the past year and my dermatologist and normal GPs are the same "Oh, it'll grow back one day, you can't really notice it". Like hell.

I believe that if you're paying them, then they should do what you ask - biopsies and some form of treatment included.

I haven't heard of anthralin, but I've heard the best things you can try are the injections (but if you've lost a full head of hair it probably won't be great), and minoxidil. Where I live, minoxidil is actually over the counter - I haven't got it yet coz I'm young and the pharmacists were like "Oh, but so close to your eyes!" But I've heard good things.

Don't let them dismiss how you feel - they are working for you, and if you want a biopsy (which, by the way, WILL tell you if you have AA) and if you want to try a treatment, it's their responsibility to give these things for you. Be strong, and be assertive! I believe you should always bother trying.