Finished 8th months on propecia..not impressed

ang_99

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, the only improvement really has been a bunch of vellus (little blonde) hiars starting to fill in on my temples. As far as the top of my head (which is all I really care about)...I think I'm a bit worse than baseline. Its just general thining, I can see more scalp than I would like when I'm standing under the bathroom mirror light. I'll keep taking it and hope for the best. I just started using Nizoral, I just recently heard about it. Let me tell you that stuff actually makes your hair look pretty good. Month 1 to 4 I immediantly stoped losing (shedding) any hair and I actually noticed slight improvement. My month 5 to 6 it looked like my hair went back to baseline just like that. 6 to 8th month, not much happening maybe got a bit worse.......The thing that pissed me off is that Merk states that Propecia does nothing for temples, but will maintain the hair on top and crown. So why am I experiancing the exact opposite!

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you take pictures or going by memory? Sometime when things change slowly it's hard to recall how bad they once were.

87david

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think pictures are also a good idea. I think one thing that you should keep in mind is your initial rate of hairloss when you first started your regime. For me, it was like a light switch. I lost something like 10% of my hair in just a few days. I immediately started Rogaine and eventually my hairloss stopped. I can tell you without reserveration that Rogaine definately works. Maybe not so much at regrowing hair, but at least at controlling additional hairloss. If your hairloss is pretty aggressive, maybe you just need to add something else like minoxidil to reap the benefits that you seek.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should be aiming for maintenance and view regrowth as a bonus, so probably finasteride has helped you as without it you may be much worse off by now.

Like the others suggested you may want to add an additional factor to your regime if you want to maximize regrowth e.g minoxidil

ang_99

Established Member
Reaction score
nerv, no I didn't take any pics. I'm pissied about that, because I know your mind plays tricks on you but I'm pretty confident about my conclusions. I realize that I scrutinize know more than ever, I should probably stop doing that.

87david, my hiar loss has been very slow, my temples receded over the last 6 years or so, I'm 29. Didn't really bother me that much as they are not bad enough to care about. I never thought about the top of my head though. I was never concerned with that, I noticed the thinning up there over the last 1-2 years or so, it kind of took me by surprise one day. I was like oh sh*t! propecia here we come baby!

global, I hear ya about the maintence. Thats all I ever really expected but it just seems like its getting worse, I don't know, I'll re-evaluate at the 12 month level and decide on minoxidil then.

I do hear a few saying they didn't notice jack until the 8-12th month so I'm
keeping the hope alive. I just want to look in the mirror one day and say, cool I can live with this hair..I'm satisfied.