finasteride. stories theory? (hopefully)

STLman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm 23 and have been thinning and receding pretty badly the past year or so and have been here lurking and learning for about a month. D-Day for me is tomarrow, the proscar is arriving via Fed-Ex and I'm a little apprehensive. Here's my question:

I'm always seeing horror stories posted about the side effects like the gyno, libido, massive sheds etc.. That story that Shivs told about him and his girl brought it home for me that this stuff could really F-stuff up for some people and of course no one wants it to happen to them.

But do you think there is a plane crash phenomenom going on here? By that, I mean, everyday thousands of planes take off and land no problem and you never hear about them, but when one crashes, you hear it everywhere.

I guess I'm just hoping for every one guy who is experiencing major side effects, there is a hundred or more out there who aren't having problems at all, but from these boards it doesn't seem like it, and thats got me a little freaked.

I mean, for Merck to make money on this drug, they have to sell to tens of thousands of men right? I haven't heard of or seen front page stories about thousands of men now needing bras while their women go hungry, so an optimistic outlook that you could miss the plane crash of major side side effects like gyno and libido difficulties should not be completley unreasonable, or so I would think.

What do you think about this?

I only bring this up because I've been on minoxidil for about 3 mos and at first I was unsure about that too. I thought my scalp was gonna get fried and start peeling, flaking, and all that fun stuff I kept reading about but guess what happened? Nothing. Its been smooth sailing so far, minus the light shed, but no irritation or flaking. I realize everyone's biochemistry is different and I guess I'm just hoping my luck extends awhile longer, but I'd love to hear some positive finesteride stories (i.e. little or no side effects).

And thank God I found this site, or I'd probably be knee deep in Avacor.

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
STLman said:
....But do you think there is a plane crash phenomenom going on here? By that, I mean, everyday thousands of planes take off and land no problem and you never hear about them, but when one crashes, you hear it everywhere.
The assumption is that most people who take Finasteride and don't have side effects lead normal lives and don't seek the advice and information offered on this and other hairloss sites. Hence, the percentage of people here who do experience sides is theoretically higher than the general populous of finasteride takers.

What were we talking about? Damn memory loss.

jerry grant

bombscience

Reaction score
Grantspots said:
STLman said:
....But do you think there is a plane crash phenomenom going on here? By that, I mean, everyday thousands of planes take off and land no problem and you never hear about them, but when one crashes, you hear it everywhere.
The assumption is that most people who take Finasteride and don't have side effects lead normal lives and don't seek the advice and information offered on this and other hairloss sites. Hence, the percentage of people here who do experience sides is theoretically higher than the general populous of finasteride takers.

What were we talking about? Damn memory loss.

jerry grant

Or in other words... The number of whiny people on this board is inversely proportional to success cases?

STLman

Reaction score
"inversely porportional"...I like that. Now graph it on a X - Y axis so we can measure the slope and everyone can plot exactly where they fall according to level of whininess.

Seriously though, your responses are what I assumed and probably knew but I can see how the whole battle can become a mindf**k for some guys.

I know the first time something feels not quite right I'll be blaming the finasteride. and calling side effect and I probably wouldn't have had that paranoia if not for this board, but I'll say this for all the whininess, there's gotta be a place for it. I don't exactly see myself discussing my "sheds" with a frat bro anytime soon.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
People without side effects dont post about it out of the blue, y'know? Its only the dissatisfied users that have something to say. finasteride gave me very minor side effects the first few weeks but ever since I've felt right as rain, and its been about two months now (I really should have dated it like Bombscience, that was a good idea bro!)

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
STLman, the problem is, people read the horror stories and then just get then in their head that something is happening to them, flux is right about the side effect being very rare, i can say truthfully that only side effects i have noticed is a slight loss in libido, not that i dont want sex anymore, i just want it a little bit less, which in my opinion is kind of a good thing :)

i had a slight panic, which you probably will too, about erections and gyne, but after a couple of days, i noticed it was pretty much me worrying too much and the things i thought i was feeling went away, i can honestly say that propecia hasnt effected anything but my hairloss in a serious way

G

STLman said:
Hey everyone,

I'm 23 and have been thinning and receding pretty badly the past year or so and have been here lurking and learning for about a month. D-Day for me is tomarrow, the proscar is arriving via Fed-Ex and I'm a little apprehensive. Here's my question:

I'm always seeing horror stories posted about the side effects like the gyno, libido, massive sheds etc.. That story that Shivs told about him and his girl brought it home for me that this stuff could really F-stuff up for some people and of course no one wants it to happen to them.

But do you think there is a plane crash phenomenom going on here? By that, I mean, everyday thousands of planes take off and land no problem and you never hear about them, but when one crashes, you hear it everywhere.

I guess I'm just hoping for every one guy who is experiencing major side effects, there is a hundred or more out there who aren't having problems at all, but from these boards it doesn't seem like it, and thats got me a little freaked.

I mean, for Merck to make money on this drug, they have to sell to tens of thousands of men right? I haven't heard of or seen front page stories about thousands of men now needing bras while their women go hungry, so an optimistic outlook that you could miss the plane crash of major side side effects like gyno and libido difficulties should not be completley unreasonable, or so I would think.

What do you think about this?

I only bring this up because I've been on minoxidil for about 3 mos and at first I was unsure about that too. I thought my scalp was gonna get fried and start peeling, flaking, and all that fun stuff I kept reading about but guess what happened? Nothing. Its been smooth sailing so far, minus the light shed, but no irritation or flaking. I realize everyone's biochemistry is different and I guess I'm just hoping my luck extends awhile longer, but I'd love to hear some positive finesteride stories (i.e. little or no side effects).

And thank God I found this site, or I'd probably be knee deep in Avacor.

Many of us have had litttle to no issues with these drugs.

My experience includes having no sheds, no gyno, etc. Nizoral has not irritated my scalp, etc. And I have regrown a lot of hair at age 53.

Good luck and stay the course.

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
STLman said:
I know the first time something feels not quite right I'll be blaming the finasteride. and calling side effect and I probably wouldn't have had that paranoia if not for this board...
2 ways to look at the information presented on this board:

1.) "oh my gawd! My scrotum itches! I read all about this on HairLossTalk.com. I am all F-ed up! WHO AM I TO BLAME?"

or...

2.) "ok, I'm experiencing some of the side effects I read about on HairLossTalk.com. I've only been taking finasteride for a week so I know my body is going through adjustments and I need to be patient. Guess I'll go through the site again and see how others dealt with this for reassurance. Then I'll post a question about where to order finasteride online, cheap, just to piss that Grant fellow off."

It's all a matter of perspective.

jerry grant

G

Don't do it! That sh*t'll give you boobs and depression and you’ll turn into an axe-wielding PMS serial killer!!! :freaked2:

Axon

Reaction score
I hope you realize I was joking.

Perhaps you were....<head explodes>

G

I thought so but there is so much sarcasm around here that I don't want to insult anyone..........................by accident, that is :laugh:

Axon

Reaction score
Well, I think you can look at any of my previous posts to know I was joking...:)

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
There is no joking or sarcasm allowed. We now return you to your regular scheduled program.

jerry grant

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeddie said:
Don't do it! That sh*t'll give you boobs and depression and you’ll turn into an axe-wielding PMS serial killer!!! :freaked2:

Well two out of three ain't bad.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
STLman said:
Yes

JakerZD

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, this sucks man and is even awful that we havent found a freakyn cure for this curseeee