Finasteride/Dutasteride not working for you?

baso80

Reaction score
Hi,

There are people on the board saying finasteride isnt working for them and some people saying dutasteride isnt working for them.

What does this actually mean in terms of dht?

1. Isnt the DHT inhibited in the body by finasteride/dutasteride

or

2. the dht left in the body is enought to keep you losing hair?

Is there any study showing that for poeple where finasteride or dutasteride hasnt worked was because those drugs couldnt inhibit dht?

The question comes down to chemistry. Are there examples where finasteride or dutasteride do not inhibit the dht in the body?

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DHT isn't the problem.

Every man needs DHT to be a man. Some people can tolerate lower levels of DHT, possibly because they had higher levels of DHT to begin with. The problem is that you have inherited hair follicles that are extra sensitive to DHT. The more aggressive your hair loss is , the more sensitive your hair follicles are. Your hair will shed in the pattern you have inherited. Taking 1mg finasteride daily will inhibit the vital Hormone DHT excessively and will eventually take a toll on your sexual organs and everything that makes you a man. The best option is to take .25mg finasteride , this will inhibit only a certain amount of DHT. Hopefully this amount the body can do without and will help slow down hair loss.

GRAPH8.GIF

Some people take finasteride or Dutasteride and their hair loss won't stop. This is because their hair loss is aggressive and the hairs are very sensitive to DHT and lowering DHT won't make a difference because as long as there is DHT in the body your hair will fall out. I don't know why this is triggered at a certain age but it is.

In many cases people start on finasteride and do inhibit the hormone , but they see shedding and think that finasteride is making it worse or isnt helping at all. You should expect shedding if you use finasteride. The only reason you wouldn't expierience shedding is if there aren't that many hairs on your head being effected by DHT. In other words , the more aggressive your hair loss is, the more shedding you will get from finasteride because there are more hairs on your head being effected by DHT which means more to be kicked out.

I think there's no hope for some of us with very aggressive hair loss. The hairs are too sensitive. Inhibiting DHT will cause side effects after a certain time because we need the hormone. spironolactone 5% cream is helpful in slowing it down along with .25mg finasteride. Still it's not enough and the hairs will eventually miniturize and cease to exist.

T

Timi

and all with agressiv Hairloss (DHT)

should not take minoxidil
and finasteride works good
with minoxidil ist finasteride to weak

Timi

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I advise people with aggressive hair loss to prolong using minoxidil at least until they have had results from finasteride.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
decro435 said "...Taking 1mg finasteride daily will inhibit the vital Hormone DHT excessively and will eventually take a toll on your sexual organs and everything that makes you a man...."

I have been on Propecia since Sept. 08 and I think It is going to take more than that I think to make me less of a man.

At over 40 years old I have noticed an increase in all the man stuff except for body hair and scalp hair loss. But then again I have never had any problem in the man department in fact I am hoping age or Propecia will take the edge off a little. I don't have a complex that I have to look like a big construction worker cowboy with huge muscles.

I am not a male fetus in the womb and not a developing young adult male, so what exactly do I need dht for? Keeping in mind of coarse that there is still some DHT floating around in my body.

T

Timi

i am 45 Years old (15Years finasteride)

i had make more attempt with minoxidil in this long Years

finasteride allone very good Hairs and Hairgrow

finasteride and "minoxidil" Hairloss over Hairloss
thinning out rapidly and liveless-straw Hairs

minoxidil Stop and my Hair goes slowly great

i think so many Men when Quit minoxidil and take finasteride allone
has good Hairs and "finasteride Works"
but the most Men give finasteride No Time

and Dutasterid maybe is completely unnecessary
then minoxidil can work so bad that finasteride not helps

this is my experience

Timi

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairrific said:
decro435 said "...Taking 1mg finasteride daily will inhibit the vital Hormone DHT excessively and will eventually take a toll on your sexual organs and everything that makes you a man...."

I have been on Propecia since Sept. 08 and I think It is going to take more than that I think to make me less of a man.

At over 40 years old I have noticed an increase in all the man stuff except for body hair and scalp hair loss. But then again I have never had any problem in the man department in fact I am hoping age or Propecia will take the edge off a little. I don't have a complex that I have to look like a big construction worker cowboy with huge muscles.

I am not a male fetus in the womb and not a developing young adult male, so what exactly do I need dht for? Keeping in mind of coarse that there is still some DHT floating around in my body.

Yeah , I was talking about younger people like myself. I don't exactly know what you need DHT for at 40 years of age maybe someone would be able to point out what the role of DHT in middle-aged men is. I've heard DHT increases with age , but I highly doubt this I actually think more of the opposite takes place. I guess your body can function normally with the decreased level of DHT and thats why you don't have any problems in the "man" department. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge of the role of hormones could fill us in...

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Several factors limit the action of "antiandrogens" such as finasteride. First, reflex hyperandrogenicity limits the action of antiandrogens. In the case of finasteride, this means a 14% or so increase in circulating testosterone and almost a doubling of tissue androgen receptors. Reflex hyperandrogenicity can even overshoot and produce paradoxical hyperandrogenic symptoms in patients taking finasteride.

Similarly, while androgens start the balding process and likely play some role in keeping it going, once they start the process, other processes take over.

E.g., there is evidence for a significant role for autoimmunity in balding. Interestingly, many of the terminal events in balding are the same as the terminal events in (say) stroke. So the same agents ( spin traps, spin labels such as TEMPOL, SOD's etc ) work in both conditions. We are work at a pretty fundamental of pathogenesis here, several steps removed from the initial androgen-produced event.

Surprisingly, this even extends to the use of infrared light, which is currently in clinical trials for stroke.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD

Reaction score
pproctor said:
Several factors limit the action of "antiandrogens" such as finasteride. First, reflex hyperandrogenicity limits the action of antiandrogens. In the case of finasteride, this means a 14% or so increase in circulating testosterone and almost a doubling of tissue androgen receptors. Reflex hyperandrogenicity can even overshoot and produce paradoxical hyperandrogenic symptoms in patients taking finasteride.

I didn't realize that finasteride increases expression of AR. Do you think wild-type AR downregulating agents (methylselenocysteine & soy, etc.) would be helpful?

It's a frustrating area of research for professionals and non-professionals alike, I'd imagine. I recently read a study that found quercetin prevented some of finasteride's DHT reducing effects, but nonetheless found an overall synergystic effect of combined quercetin and finasteride in reducing prostate weight. There are other studies showing that quercetin downregulates wild-type AR, so perhaps that explains that. Still, it's puzzling.

verlieber

Reaction score
Hi all,

Timm are you still there?!

I've been on finasteride for arround 21 months and really I can say it's frustrating so far!! 3 1/2 months ago I did increase the dose from 1mg to 1.25mg, surprisingly I started a heavy shedding wave after 10 days or so then it was slow down in monthe 3 I felt my hair was better and start thickining in for arround 2 weeks only then again start thining, I just feel something that prevent my hair from improving, I've been on minoxidil 5% for over 5 yrs.

Tim did you have success with minoxidil by it self? but not when you add finasteride?

Thanks for any info

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
decro435 said:
Taking 1mg finasteride daily will inhibit the vital Hormone DHT excessively and will eventually take a toll on your sexual organs and everything that makes you a man. The best option is to take .25mg finasteride , this will inhibit only a certain amount of DHT.

Taking 0.25 mg of finasteride will reduce DHT only slightly less than 1 mg.

BTW, I think there's waaay to much emphasis on DHT on hairloss sites. Other androgens can contribute to male pattern baldness, too, in my opinion.

Ende

Reaction score
Bryan said:
BTW, I think there's waaay to much emphasis on DHT on hairloss sites. Other androgens can contribute to male pattern baldness, too, in my opinion.
Sure, they do, but they're nothing like DHT. The closest hormone would be testosterone, and it seems like you need supraphysiological levels before it becomes a problem, unless your follicles are ultra sensitive to androgens.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
decro435 said:
Taking 1mg finasteride daily will inhibit the vital Hormone DHT excessively and will eventually take a toll on your sexual organs and everything that makes you a man. The best option is to take .25mg finasteride , this will inhibit only a certain amount of DHT.

Taking 0.25 mg of finasteride will reduce DHT only slightly less than 1 mg.

And what are the best treatments to use which would fight with these 'other androgens'?

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
bumping this old topic. Is there anyone here in a situation where finasteride/dutasteride didn't work? If so how what route did you take and did you get any success.
Thanks

ydahman

Reaction score
I've been on Finesteride 1mg every day for 5 years and cant tell if I had much improvement. I loose about 150 to 200 hair everytime I washed my hair (every other day usually). I just stopped taking Finesteride 4 weeks ago and not sure what results I will get. I guess if I loose my hair then that may prove that it did work.

Has anyone else here had any similar experience and what results did they see when they suddenly stopped taking Finesteride. Thanks

Hair ball

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on Finesteride 1mg every day for 5 years and cant tell if I had much improvement. I loose about 150 to 200 hair everytime I washed my hair (every other day usually). I just stopped taking Finesteride 4 weeks ago and not sure what results I will get. I guess if I loose my hair then that may prove that it did work.

Has anyone else here had any similar experience and what results did they see when they suddenly stopped taking Finesteride. Thanks
Do you have less hair visually compared to 5 years ago? It's been 10 months now that I'm taken finasteride and I'm still shedding a lot, but my hair looks visually the same.

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

That's interesting and very reassuring to know! I tend to shed that kinda amount too, but don't notice a great deal of difference on my head either (although I always think I do, based on the extent of my shed).

Was using finasteride for about 13 years, switched to dutasteride in march this year. Impossible to know how well it's working really, given how many hairs I see in the shower.

However, I'm not sure it's a good idea for you to give up the finasteride. Any particular reason why you did, especially if your hair isn't geting worse?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone else been on dutasteride for a year and continued to lose hair?
I have not but I see people who post fairly often saying that they think that finasteride actually causes hair loss. What probably is happening in those cases is that a rampant male pattern baldness gene is being expressed and even though finasteride keeps chugging along, it simply can't keep up with the massive hair loss. Stopping finasteride or min might stop temporary shedding but it will also mean that male pattern baldness has nothing in opposition to even try to curtail it.

This is a life-long commitment and even thought it doesn't take much time daily, you have to stay focused on treatment and many people don't want some sort of life-long condition or treatment that makes them think too much and which causes constant outflows monetarily. I think this aspect is what freaks out so many young guys on Tressless. The younger generation is used to science providing quick fixes and male pattern baldness is simply not amenable to quick fixes save castration.

Janey