finasteride- dutasteride compare | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

finasteride- dutasteride compare

Discussion in 'Men's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by thylax, Feb 12, 2005.

1. thylax

thylax Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    where can I find a graph or something to show how much mg of dutasteride have the same effect ih dht decreasment with other mg of finasteride?
    for example: x mg of finasteride reduce the same amount of dht with y mg of dutasteride...

2. Bismarck

Bismarck Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    finasteride at a 1mg dose: about 70%
    dutasteride at a 0.5mg dose: about 90%.

bis

3. thylax

thylax Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:

what about if I apply dutasteride directly onto the scalp by breaking the pill? I tried once and its quite painful but if reduces more dht...

UPDATE:

Guys NEVER break an avodart pill and NEVER apply dutasteride topically. When I did this a couple of times, I got a severe and quite painful skin burn on my scalp, from the very first application. In case someone does not believe this, he can google for dutasteride-related dermal/skin irritation and realize that this is the truth. But I was so obsessed with hair loss that I did not care, until I gave up and resumed dutasteride orally for a few more months (when I completely stopped it). Needless to mention, that there was no benefit for my hair, due to the topical application of this medicine.

Apart from the severe skin irritation, if you break a dutasteride pill there is a chance of leakage and subsequent absorption by a pregnant woman, with the well known teratogenic effects on the fetus. This applies to broken finasteride pills as well (which I also applied topically back then, again with absolutely no benefit for my hair). Google it to verify on your own.

So please, if you want to fight hair loss, follow what the doctors and the scientific community suggests. If you decide to take avodart (I would not suggest this), take it orally as this medicine has been made and tested for.

#3 thylax, Feb 12, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 2:11 PM
  4. Bismarck

Bismarck Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Re: .

There are no human studies about its effectiveness. Search the forum with "topical dutasteride" or "topical dutasteride". I've written something about that in the experimental section some time ago.

bis

5. Devin The dude

Devin The dude New Member

Dislikes Received:
    lol thylax is insane. this cat is pulling out all the stops to stop his hair loss. I gotta respect that.

6. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member
    Staff Member

Dislikes Received:
    Re: .

There are no animal studies, either. No studies on topical dutasteride of ANY kind.

Bryan