Finasteride causes Cognition problems and hippocampal neurog

MisterMister

Established Member
Reaction score
hippocampal neurogenesis and Cognition problems and Brain fog

I've been taking Finasteride for a few years already and this morning I had brain fog again, I forgot the name of an actor who I just saw in a movie, I remembered his face but I had to type in the movie on a search just to read his name. I also had trouble remembering my screenname on here and I haven't posted here in a month or so.

I sleep at 4 am and wake up at 10 am so I don't think it has anything to do with sleep deprivation, but I notice I also am very depressed at night and think I am a failure which makes it hard for me to go to sleep early hence sleeping late. I've only had this brain frog and difficulty sleeping early while on finasteride.

But I am wondering if this is early symptoms of Alzheimers disease? I remember others saying they had the same symptoms while taking propecia.

I am scared.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Are you serious?

Think about this for a moment. Do you think people who have never taken propecia before have NEVER had a problem recalling someone's name? Has your memory and recall always been 100% perfect your entire life?

Finasteride does NOT cause Alzheimer's. There is not a single piece of evidence that supports this theory. In fact, Finasteride has been shown it can be USEFUL in treating some mental disorders, such as tourettes.

I believe the theory that Finasteride inhibits neurosteroids is quite flawed. At the very least, a lot more studies need to be done to reach any sort of relevant conclusion. For starters, Finasteride acts on 5AR Type 2. This enzyme isn't even found in the brain to any significant degree (type 1 is, which is inhibited by Dutasteride). To reach the conclusion that finasteride causes neurodegeneration or Alzheimers is a really huge leap.

My advice to you: stay away from the internet if you want to continue taking Finasteride. There is so much misinformation out there about Finasteride, nobody should even be reading this stuff unless they are able to go look at the data and determine for themselves what's worth listening to.

MisterMister

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had great memory, I was a theater major in college and used to memorize lines all the time.

I've only started getting insomnia like symptoms, depression, and brain fog after a few years on finasteride.

I don't take any other pills, just the basic multivitamins, fish oils, and vitamin d for health.

proscarred2

Reaction score
I too have the brain fog, cognitive thinking and other problems. And sure, everyone forgets things here and there, as the responder said. But this is much more obvious. I know myself and there is a definite change, directly correlated to other peoples reports from using finasteride.

I don't care what kind of terminology you throw out there, I know myself and this was never a problem for me before and is pretty obvious to me.

I hope to find out something others have done that may have helped.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're bumping such an old post. Find it entertaining how people assume all these random little things are caused by finasteride though. Couldn't remember an actors name....."oh must be getting Alzheimers from finasteride"...yeah okay lol

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score
I went to the toilet 5 mins later today. Prob cause of finasteride!!

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
hippocampal neurogenesis and Cognition problems and Brain fog

I've been taking Finasteride for a few years already and this morning I had brain fog again, I forgot the name of an actor who I just saw in a movie, I remembered his face but I had to type in the movie on a search just to read his name. I also had trouble remembering my screenname on here and I haven't posted here in a month or so.

I sleep at 4 am and wake up at 10 am so I don't think it has anything to do with sleep deprivation, but I notice I also am very depressed at night and think I am a failure which makes it hard for me to go to sleep early hence sleeping late. I've only had this brain frog and difficulty sleeping early while on finasteride.

But I am wondering if this is early symptoms of Alzheimers disease? I remember others saying they had the same symptoms while taking propecia.

I am scared.

Most probably those sides are from finasteride I experienced the effects. Take one week off and if it get better jump on it again and if you experience the same sides def it is from finasteride.

radroon

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've had great memory, I was a theater major in college and used to memorize lines all the time.

I've only started getting insomnia like symptoms, depression, and brain fog after a few years on finasteride.

I don't take any other pills, just the basic multivitamins, fish oils, and vitamin d for health.
I have all these symptoms without taking finasteride and had them also before starting on Minoxidil. Side effects of feeling unhappy about getting bald, perhaps?

Razzabo

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have all these symptoms without taking finasteride and had them also before starting on Minoxidil. Side effects of feeling unhappy about getting bald, perhaps?

You have dementia/memory loss symptoms?

Propecia is chemical castration or close to it.

ozm8ey

Established Member
Reaction score
pretty much all prescription medication do. try taking any psychotics like i do. you will forget things all the time

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
this thread is from 2012 why is anyone even answering him?

FYI you do not remember sh*t like you used to by age 40--it's not a huge deal, anyone who is concerned go take a simple series of test at the Nuerologists...Alzhiemers is different they forget like how to brush teeth, or putting milk in oven instead of refrigerator.
It is not just simple stuff like cant remember the name of someone who is a friend of a friend or an actor etc.

also stress makes you forget sh*t and space out--people really underestimate how stress effects the brain.and hair loss and taking medications is stressful.

i suggest meditating 2x a day if you really feel brain fog before going off your propecia.