Finally got a prescription today...god I'm scared

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
My primary doctor laughed at me for wanting to stop my hair loss, but today I went to a dermatologist and she was hardly in the room with me for 5 mintues and she said she would write a 3 month prescription of Propecia for me and to come back in July to write a new one. (I really don't think she cares about anything except getting more visitation fees). I got the prescription filled and I'm gonna start tomorrow morning. I'm so f*****g scared of the side effects and the shedding that's gonna happen. My hair is already pretty darn thin. I really hope that this pays off in the long run and that I'm not just wasting my time, money and more importantly, my hair for something that I'm gonna regret in a year from now. Plus I really like my sex life and I don't want my dick to shrink or anything.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
You are VERY unlikely to get sexual side effects.

You are unlikely to shed from Propecia treatment.

You should see a decrease in hair loss in about 3-6 months, and regrowth from 6-12 months, at least maintenance.

Stick to it, and use Nizoral.

Don't worry about the side effects.

Cheers,
Andy

eliazush

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't worry!

Side effects are rare, and ALL of them are REVERSIBLE!! That is, if you don't like it or it doesn't help ypu after a year or so you can always stop using it. Unless you try you will never know how it works for you. No one does. Start taking it. You have nothing to lose.

Good luck!

Back In Time

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above two posters. I was a bit nervous to start as well, and now my only regret is not starting earlier than I did! I'm only 5 months in, and I have stopped losing hair, I have had no side effects or sheds, and I am regrowing. Check out my story in the "my story" section to read a bit more if you are interested.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know I shouldn't be scared but it seems like everyone on here has had bad reactions to Propecia in general, so I'm a little hesitant about it. But it's cool, I have to try what I can to keep the hair that I have. How long does it take for side effects to take place? I noticed that no one that's posted on this thread actually takes Propecia. Have any of you guys taken it in the past and not work for you?

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
man dont worry. It will work.
Consider the pros and cons. and then give it a go if you decide to.
I myself was very worried about it, but I came to the conclusion that I was so down about my hair loss that I had to give it my best shot.

Unfortunately I was among those who dont tolerate it too well.
It's a b**ch that I cannot use it, and even though i still deal with a little chest pain I someway feel good about knowing that I gave it a go, and now dont have to worry about "what if"... Because I now know that I have done what I can. I guess I can still throw the kitchen sink at it (which i am kinda doing at the moment), but in a way I know that finasteride was my best bet.

I wouldnt recommen finasteride to anybody anymore, but that's my personal opinion and I wouldnt have taken that advice myself 2 months ago. It's a personal choice and only you can decide what to do.
I HAD to try one way or another, but it didnt work out. As I said, I wasnt going to give up without a fight. Too bad it only amounted to such a short fight :(

lithebod

Established Member
Reaction score
I take propecia and I did have some sides very early on (and I wasnt imagining it either) but I carried on taking it and gradually after 2 months the sides lessed and lessed and everything downstairs is now functioning normally.

I also shed quite early on - it was a noticable increase in the numbers of hairs lost but again I didnt care I just carried on regardless because it didnt actually make that much of a difference cosmetically and now im 1 week away from 6 months and shedding has stopped - im losing minimal numbers of hairs - im even starting to see some early signs of regrowth but if things stay as they are i will still be happy

I also wish I had started propecia earlier rather then messing around with revivogen but I have no regrets - I had to be ready to take propecia if I had done it half heartedly I probrably would have stopped after experiencing the early sides.

best of luck

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Well almost 2 weeks in and no sides. I don't know how long it takes for sides to occur, but I'm over the scare now. I'll just keep on until I see something happen I guess.

lithebod- Yeah I wished I'd started sooner too, I've been losing hairs like crazy for the past couple of months and I probably could have avoided this if I started to control my hair loss back when I first noticed it about 7 years ago.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Primex....YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE SIDES.... Thats it, now go and enjoy. If you wait for sides you ll have it. Coz your mind will start playing games. So just stop thinking.