Fanjeera's Story - ( 17-year old balding! Quit BIG 3!)

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Alright, I discovered I was balding, when I was 15 years old. Of course i started worrying immediately, because I know it was serious: the father side of my family is completely bald too. I bought some vitamins, because my doctor wasn't able to suggest me anything better. I then ate some stuff that made my nails stronger and C-vitamin I think. I also started using thistle root shampoo balsam. I started using Regaine (5%), when I was 16, despite the fact it's not allowed for children. I just couldn't understand, what a 1ml dose of alcohol and some other strange liquids can cause to my health as long, as I don't swallow it. At first it didn't do anything, then I started suffering from horrible dandruff and itching, which may cause some more balding, because I have to itch my hair. I was completely sure, that it's another bullshit medication. But then, after a few weeks or a month maybe, I discovered small hair on my temples (that's where I started putting it). I have been using Regaine for eight or nine months now and the new hair is more than 1 cm now. Although, it's very thin. I still haven't got rid of the dandruff and itches, but I have got used to it and am using some other medications to fight it. I still see many hair fall from my head, especially when I comb it or wash it. I do these procedures as infrequently as possible, but it's difficult, because I have always owned a longer haircut and I still try to keep it now. In school time I wash my hair 3 times a week and comb it in the mornings. Sometimes I just flush it with water. Oh, and I also use thistle root oil, which makes my hair grow really fast, but I'm not sure, if it makes me less bald. I'm planning to move to Propecia right, when I turn 18, and stop taking Regaine, because it would get really costly, (that's only 10 months now, but unfortunately I have noticed that barely only some chemist's shops sell Regaine now here in Estonia), but I have read, that it causes mental fog, which I am really afraid of. I am not gonna give my brain to my hair -- that's for sure, because I have always been one of the kids in the class who are able to attend to contests.
I really don't want to lose my hair. I like it: it's curly, looks special and different in its own way and holds in the way I want.
What do you think? Do you have any suggestions for me, how to fight my hairloss? Should I start using Propecia or stay on Regaine only? What can I do more, without paying money? Is there a chance for me in the first place, if the men from my father side of the family are all bald?
Thank you!

P.S. I only just registered and am very happy I found a forum like this. I really hope to get help here.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Re: A 17-year old balding! Pictures!

Hey man. You know about the mature hairline? It happens to 95% of all caucasian males.

You can read about it here and judge for yourself

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/10/06/j ... th-photos/

But having said that, based on your pictures I really think it has gone beyond a mature hairline. It appears to be receading and receading fast.

Best bet is propecia and rogaine foam for the hairline.

Good luck! :)

Fanjeera

Reaction score

But which one is more effective? I can't afford both. Perhaps I should continue with Regaine, as I have used it almost a year by now. If I start using Propecia, I will lose the Regaine hair.

metalheaddude

Reaction score

Not it won't! Propecia is by far the better medication in my opinion because it deals with the main reason we bald and thats DHT. You need a DHT blocker to stop it binding to your sensetive hairline follicles and minaturizing it (falling out).

Use the Rogaine later. Works better on the crown anyway.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

But Propecia has some heavy side effects, I have heard. I am only afraid of mental fog though.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score

Really? Brain fogs the only one? I would say for your age, propecia isn't what you want to be taking. But You have a better chance of keeping more of your hair if you start now.

On the other hand, Rogaine May help your hair, slightly, But on it's own, very rarely is it enough. Rogaine seems to work best when It's working with something else. Especially for someone balding as early as you are, You've got a lot of time for your hairloss to worsen. It's usually quite aggressive when it starts this early.

You mentioned cost being an issue, Nizoral is pretty cheap, so you should try getting some of that as well.

I would simply advise you to do what you can now, to slow your hairloss, Until your 18-19ish Then throw propecia into the mix. If you notice any, short term memory fog, then simply drop it, I don't think it causes damage unless it's prolonged use. Even then I'm not quite sure on the extensiveness of the actual damage.

"not giving your brain to hair" Actually is pretty smart thinking, One is definitely not worth the other, so it's good you have perspective about that. But I personally am unsure of how common brain fog is, I suppose MEW. Would be the best person to ask about it.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

Haven't heard anything about that Nizoral. Isn't it just a shampoo for fighting dandruff? How does that help my hair?

Hubert Gruber

Reaction score

Nizoral is too harsh on your scalp and hair...choose something else.

Hubert Gruber

Reaction score

Start taking finasteride...I started when I was 18.5 and I dont have sides.

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score

visit your doctor to get a pescription for finasteride....

coz your only young i wouyld recommend cutting the piles up .25mg per day wich is a small amount, whilst you are still growing and developing, but studies have shown it will reduce the DHT the same to help combat male pattern baldness.

Go to "success Stories" and read a member caled "first" thread.... i beleive your best chances of recovery is following alot of the regimen he uses which is a balance of vitamins, minerals and also small dosage of finasteride, along with regaine (minoxidil) etc...

your hair looks like its still very thick, and at the worst the treatment will stop male pattern baldness progressiong at the best, you could grow them temples back as you are still young and them folllicles that have stoped producing hair are not dead yet...

Good luck...

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score

coz your only young i would recommend cutting the piles up .25mg per day which is a small amount, whilst you are still growing and developing, but studies have shown it will reduce the DHT the same to help combat male pattern baldness.

Yes it's shown that a lower dosage of finasteride, will still effect DHT, because of how lethal it is. Because .25 is basically the same as a full pill. It also has the same amount of negative effects on people who respond badly to it.

Haven't heard anything about that Nizoral. Isn't it just a shampoo for fighting dandruff? How does that help my hair?

Nizoral is firstly for dandruff yes, that's what it's marketed as. It's also been accounted in numerous studies as being a weak Dht inhibitor.

I'm not sure if it would be too sensitive for yourself as Gruber said, although I have a quite sensitive scalp myself, and have had no problems thus far.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

I'm definitely not taking the risk of taking Propecia before I am 18. I'll try finding some money for that Nizoral though. Any idea how much does it cost and how much product will I get?
Oh, and I also went to the doctor. She told me to come back, when I was 18 to get some Propecia, but told me to use Nizoral as and anti-dandruff shampoo.
Mew said:
I suggest you do your research about what you will be taking before you jump on it at your age.

viewtopic.php?p=441218#p441218
There's no way I am taking this pill after reading that stuff! How can people use it? Don't they care how their chests with boobs look like? Don't they care about their penis sizes? And, what's most important, aren't they afraid of becoming stupid?

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Hi Amarant.

I hereby give you an award, for the worst taken photos :jump:

I started to receed in my early teens, if I was you I would start on a very low dose of propecia to help you maintain what you have, rogaine will only regrow hairs (if you are lucky) that will be rogain dependant.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score

I'll try finding some money for that Nizoral though. Any idea how much does it cost and how much product will I get?

Runs be about 10 dollars a bottle, Usually lasts about a month for me. I always use way too much though so it can be stretched to last much longer.

You only use it twice a week anyway.

There's no way I am taking this pill after reading that stuff! How can people use it? Don't they care how their chests with boobs look like? Don't they care about their penis sizes? And, what's most important, aren't they afraid of becoming stupid?

Well most people don't experience what you read. But with so many people using propecia, your going to have people that respond that way. None of those symtoms seem to become a problem for too many people as long as they don't ignore them. You don't grow breasts overnight, you don't suddenly wake up "stupid" as you put it. These extreme cases happen when someone experiences sides, but ignores them. Either hoping they will go away, or simply not wanting to go bald.

Social stigma is not a comfortable thing for many people. So it's hardly surprising people go to these unexplored lengths.

You also, haven't entered the stage of your hairloss yet where it becomes impossible to hide. Some people are effected quite differently when suddenly you cannot hide your hairloss anymore. When you get to that point. If and when you will most likely better understand why people take propecia.

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score

i am the worlds biggest wimp when it comes to pills.... i have a sweat on reading the possible side effects on the back of a aprin bottle....

but i eventually plucked up the courage to try finasteride after consulting my doctor who really did rationalise it for me.... this drug as a 2% side effect, if you put it into perspective you could die taking a asprin pill, getting the train into town, faling down the stairs you use everyday...

i have no side effects at all, this brain fog, penis shrinkage.... a lot of it is from the small percentage of over worrying poeple of this world anyway.... if it wasnt finasteride, there would be something they would put something else down as.... if a small newspaper article wrote that coffee had a possible effect on the shrinkage of the penis, they would be on de-caff the next day.

now you have done the scary research.... do the rational research of the positive effects and the very very little negative side effects on a drug that is one of the most widley trialed drugs you can buy....

Fanjeera

Reaction score

I don't still think, I dare to take this pill yet. Someone said he grew his hair back by mixing dutasteride with minoxidil and then rubbing it in his skin -- I am trying that before.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score

Amarant said:
I don't still think, I dare to take this pill yet. Someone said he grew his hair back by mixing dutasteride with minoxidil and then rubbing it in his skin -- I am trying that before.

If you try this, you risk getting the dutasteride (a more powerful drug than finasteride) into your blood, spreading it into the rest of your body. Dutasteride takes several months to get out of your system, unlike finasteride.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

But I'm not eating it. You would get side effects only if you take it orally. What if I just rub it inside my hair, where it's supposed to be in the first place?