Experienced sides on finasteride....should I try again?

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So about a week ago, my doctor prescribed me finasteride, and after a few days, I immediately noticed a change in my body....less libido, problems with erections, brain fog, etc. I stopped taking it when I noticed that, and I still feel the sides, but I hope they will go away within the next few weeks (at least that is what my doctor says). But my doctor also suggested that I give finasteride another try when I feel better. She said it's possible that, after taking finasteride for awhile, my body may adjust to it, and my side effects will go away. Do you think that is a safe option? I really want to take finasteride because of the obvious help it does for maintaining hair, but I am very worried about messing with my hormones. I am 19.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
The final choice has to be your call, and that call is going to be different for every person. How badly do you want to keep your hair? At some point in time you're going to have to look yourself in the mirror and make a decision. "I'm going to let myself go bald" or "I'm going to fight and try". Some people are fine with balding, or wearing a hairpiece, some people give finasteride a go.

How much did you know about finasteride sides before you started? Quite frequently people will convince themselves that they have sides, even if they don't (this goes for many drugs, not just finasteride). But, what you described sounds like some finasteride sides. There are several people on this board who have ridden out sides like yours, but it just depends on how severe they seem to be for you.

You might try reducing you dose to .5mg, or ever .25mg and let your body get adjusted to smaller levels of finasteride in your system. People will tell you that finasteride has a flat response, and they are probably right...but everyone's body is different, and it will react differently. Maybe your body freaks out when 60% of DHT is blocked, but would be just fine if 55% was being blocked.

just some food for thought :)

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
I had side effects when I started Propecia. My orgasms were pretty crap and I could hardly feel my little man.

However, after a week, maybe two, it was all back to normal.

I don't think it was psychological because I couldn't feel as much sensation even when I just rubbed my penis when it wasn't excited... it was as if it was numb!

But, all is good now. I don't have any side effects, and in fact I feel like I am more horny than in the past (which I am putting down to there being more testosterone in my body, since less is converted to DHT).

I think with most stuff - drugs, some food... music - you have to stick at it for a while before the body gets used to it. The human body is very adaptable, but it's not instantly adaptable and it needs to change to adapt.

Like the guy said about, intimately it's up to you. In my opinion you should stick it out for a month and if nothing changes then stop it.

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
Very encouraging words, guys. On one hand, I think it may be psychological. I was very aware of the potential side effects that could happen when taking the drug. But, like wstef, I think the sexual side effects are real. Even now (about 5 days since taking the drug), I feel somewhat numb down there. I am of the opinion, though, that my body is pretty sensitive to the drugs I intake. Hopefully, it'll be able to adapt, too. I'll wait till I feel back to normal, and then I'll start out again with maybe .5 mg. I ordered generic finasteride that's 5 mg each, so I'd have to cut it up into pretty tiny pieces. But hey, if it works out, I guess I save some cash!

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
0.5mg is apparently about 80% as effective as 1mg, so it's not a huge difference.

I was really worried about the effects I had because I knew they were real, but I am really pleased that they've gone so soon.

But... I am now getting slight dark patches under my eyes from minoxidil!

Sigh... it seems hair loss treatment isn't without it's side effects!

Good luck.

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on updating my regimen. I've been off finasteride for about two weeks now, and my sex drive is slowly recovering, but it's definitely not how it used to be before I took the meds. I don't really want to deal with that again, unless I don't have any other options. So, now I'm in the process of trying other options. I just bought some Nizoral shampoo about a week ago, and already I can tell it's improving the health of my hair. A lot less hairs fall out in the shower. Also, I'm taking Hairomega 3-in-1 pills once a day. It's a natural supplement, but it's proven to block some DHT. Basically, I think the stuff works a lot like finasteride, except not as harsh.

So here are my questions. I'm still 19, so I have a decent amount of hair. It's definitely thinning out, though. Do you think the nizoral and Hairomega combo is enough for me to maintain/see improvements? For the Hairomega, there are reviewers who claim that they even noticed a regrowth. Or do you think I should add Rogaine to the mix? I'm kind of nervous about Rogaine because I know for a lot of people it does more harm than good.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
Experiencing "results" just after one week of Nizoral is perhaps a little too quick. Maybe you are seeing the effects of finasteride (which in most cases is delayed, due to the way hair grows) or maybe the shampoo is simply making your hair LOOK healthier.

At 19 I'm not sure finasteride is a great idea anyway. Did your doctor prescribe it?. However, minoxidil is topical... you just apply it to the scalp... so if you use the right amount you probably won't experience side effects. I have reduced my Regaine usage to 1/4 of a cap (it's all I need anyway... 1/2 was a waste!) and I don't get dry eyes. I still have slight dark patches from when I used more than needed, but they are slowly going.

Hair loss is internal. Pretty much no topical product can prevent it... minoxidil delays it, but it still creeps up. The only known way, unfortunately, is to block DHT from forming (finasteride etc).

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
So, very interesting turn in events...not sure if this topic is appropriate for the "side effects" forum, but oh well.

First, my sexuality has bounced back. Ever since stop taking finasteride (which I took for about 3 days), I switched over to the nizoral and Hairomega combo. Now, I know that many don't trust Hairomega. There are overwhelmingly positive reviews online that seem a little fake. And it does seem that it's "too good to be true." But I am sure that it is working for me. Not so much with the frontal thinning (yet), but ever since taking the supplement twice a day, my crown has thickened up considerably. My hair is simply thicker and feels healthier.

Mestys

Established Member
Reaction score
Any natural hairloss product will do absolutely jack for your hair. But if you like pissing money down the toilet then carry on.

Sorry to sound a little off but I would hate to think anyone would go and buy that crap based on your recommendation.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the only known way of stopping hair loss is to stop DHT, so regardless of if this is finasteride, dutasteride or some natural concoction they are all going to interact with the body in similar ways (some worse than others).

To me, Hairomega looks like a glorified version of those "skin, hair and nails" multivatmins you get, with added *insert any natural remedy rumoured to help with hair loss here* saw palmetto, green tea etc.

I used to think the same; natural, it must be better, but it's not. I took saw palmetto for a year and didn't get any results. With minoxidil and finasteride I am already seeing small hairs appearing (too tiny to make much of a difference yet, but definitely new hair - fingers crossed they turn terminal!)

If natural things like saw palmetto are a good enough DHT inhibitor, then people would get the same side effects that they do on finasteride because their actions on the body should - technically - be the same.

I hold no hope because I have yet to come across any example of things like saw palmetto actually working. I don't think there's a single case on this forum of progress with natural stuff, but there's loads with the "big 3" (and some with dutasteride).

I hate drugs companies - they are cancers themselves, charging sh*t loads for important drugs just because they can - but I had to swallow my pride and accept the only real way is going to be something like finasteride, unfortunately.

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I know the stakes are against me with this regimen, but the fact of the matter is that my hair feels great. My crown looks fuller than it did a year ago. There's no denying that. I'm still 19, so my hair loss is at its beginning stages. And for now, I really do think the Hairomega and Nizoral combo will help me maintain a considerable amount. Before, my scalp felt like sh*t. I've been taking two Hairomega pills a night, and I no longer wake up with that dreadful feeling that my hair loss is progressing more so than the day before. I am absolutely sure that I am better off taking this than not.

I tried finasteride--didn't like it a bit. I don't need minoxidil--it's just not worth it yet, because there's not a whole lot I need to regrow. I'm not committing myself to this regimen. Later on, I may try finasteride again.

p.s. I actually do think that the Hairomega blocks a good amount of DHT. Just not as much as the finasteride. There's a noticeable loss of libido when I take the pills compared to when I don't. Right now I'm hoping to ride it out.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I started back on finasteride at 0.25 mg dose, saw no sides, and recently upped to 1.25 mg of proscar.

This is my real second time of starting finasteride after 6+ months of dutasteride did nothing.

I am having NONE of the sides I did last time. It's great.

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
I started back on finasteride at 0.25 mg dose, saw no sides, and recently upped to 1.25 mg of proscar.

This is my real second time of starting finasteride after 6+ months of dutasteride did nothing.

What kind of sides did you experience last time? I have the 5 mg finasteride, so I may have difficulty cutting into .25, but that sounds like a good idea. Are you getting results?

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
lobsterlobster said:
TheGrayMan2001 said:

What kind of sides did you experience last time? I have the 5 mg finasteride, so I may have difficulty cutting into .25, but that sounds like a good idea. Are you getting results?

You could always buy generic 1mg finasteride online at a place like inhousepharmacy.biz (where i get mine)

I also had sides the first time I tried finasteride (.5mg per day) and quit after a month. A year went by the I just started finasteride again about 3 months ago. I began taking .25mg every other day..i got sides but they werent as bad as the last time and within 2 weeks they had gone away..so after a month i switched to .25mg every day..was on that for a month, and am now on .5mg every day...no sides. Going to stay on this for a month or two, then bump to .75mg then finally 1

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
Chris87 said:
lobsterlobster said:
TheGrayMan2001 said:

You could always buy generic 1mg finasteride online at a place like inhousepharmacy.biz (where i get mine)

I also had sides the first time I tried finasteride (.5mg per day) and quit after a month. A year went by the I just started finasteride again about 3 months ago. I began taking .25mg every other day..i got sides but they werent as bad as the last time and within 2 weeks they had gone away..so after a month i switched to .25mg every day..was on that for a month, and am now on .5mg every day...no sides. Going to stay on this for a month or two, then bump to .75mg then finally 1

Okay, I just popped a .5 mg today. I may go down to .25, depending on how I react to this. I have to ask, though- is this safe? If my body reacts poorly to this drug at its recommended dosage, is it smart to slowly work myself back to it like this? If I don't feel sides from .5, I may just stay there and not move up. I'm still worried about long term damage I can cause.

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just popped a .5 mg today. I may go down to .25, depending on how I react to this. I have to ask, though- is this safe? If my body reacts poorly to this drug at its recommended dosage, is it smart to slowly work myself back to it like this? If I don't feel sides from .5, I may just stay there and not move up. I'm still worried about long term damage I can cause.

Well..the question of "is its safe" is really hard to answer. The answer I guess is, maybe. People react differently to different things. I can't tell how someone will react to something just because I reacted a certain way. All I know is...when I took .5mg per day the first time (without easing into it) I had sides for a month straight that didn't go away. I'm now taking .5mg a day with no sides, only this time like I said I started at .25mg every other day.

When I was on finasteride the first time at .5mg, I did drop down to .25mg for a couple weeks but still got sides. For me, it was better to stop taking it all together for a while, and then ease into slowly

Mark1234

Reaction score
I'm a 33 year old white male that was diagnosed with Iritis (one red eye) 6 months after I started Propecia (about 2 years ago). Went to a Rheumatologist and tested for everything but I'm all clear! Could Propecia be causing my Iritis? My doctor said there's been no reports of it.

I went off it finally last month and eye cleared up but still got lightly red off and on so I re-started Propecia 2 days ago and now my eye is REALLY red. Too much of a coincidence I thought...I know Propecia can cause dry eyes so maybe it's just exacerbating the Iritis (caused by the 'unknown' disease). Anyone else?

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So, side effects can often diminish as time progresses. I know its not as potent a hormonal disruptor as finasteride, but on citalopram when I first started I could not experience pleasurable sensation in my penis whatsover. I could get an erection but there was little sensation. Couldnt ejaculate (I have heard some men abusing SSRIs for this effect... when it starts to subside a bit, it looks like increased sexual stamina or staying power... you can **** for longer before you blow). I didn't stop the drug. The effect gradually diminished to the point where I was before starting the drug. Study shows this similar phenomenon with sides with dutasteride. In time the percentage of men experiencing adverse effect diminished. Im not telling you to continue taking a drug if you fear the sides, just that they could decrease in time. Ask your doctor and see if he can corroborate this.

Zwillard90

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well..the question of "is its safe" is really hard to answer. The answer I guess is, maybe. People react differently to different things. I can't tell how someone will react to something just because I reacted a certain way. All I know is...when I took .5mg per day the first time (without easing into it) I had sides for a month straight that didn't go away. I'm now taking .5mg a day with no sides, only this time like I said I started at .25mg every other day.

When I was on finasteride the first time at .5mg, I did drop down to .25mg for a couple weeks but still got sides. For me, it was better to stop taking it all together for a while, and then ease into slowly

how many days did you wait to ease back into it? I started getting chest pains and feel like it could've been from the finasteride?