European Hair Research Society: Caffeine............

michael barry

Reaction score
Conference Abstract

Home > Conference Abstracts > 2006 London > Research Abstracts > European Hair Research Society - Abstract

Navigation
Conference Abstracts Index

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abstracts - 2006 London

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abstracts - 2005 Zurich

Abstracts - 2004 Berlin

Abstracts - 2003 Barcelona

Abstracts - 2002 Brussels

Abstracts - 2001 Tokyo

Abstracts - 2000 Marburg

51. Caffeine counteracts the growth inhibitory effect of testosterone in ex vivo human hair follicles from male patients with Androgenetic Alopecia.
T.W. Fischer(1&2), U.C. Hipler(1), P. Elsner(1) 1.Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Friedrich-Schiller-University, Jena, Germany 2.Department of Dermatology and Venerology, University Hospital Schleswig-Holstein, University of Lübeck, Lübeck, Germany.

Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is a common problem in men of all ages, starting at the age of 20 and affecting about 50% at the age of 50. The underlying cause is an androgen-dependent miniaturization of genetically predetermined hair follicles, modulated by dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and the expression of androgen receptor (AR). Here, we used ex vivo hair follicles from balding areas of men with Androgenetic Alopecia and cultivated them in vitro to investigate the effects of testosterone and caffeine, the latter being a promising candidate for hair growth stimulation. Hair follicles from 14 biopsies, taken from the vertex areas from male Androgenetic Alopecia patients, were cultivated for 120-192h in the presence of normal William's E medium (control) or William's E medium containing different concentrations of testosterone and/or caffeine. The outcome parameters were hair shaft elongation and keratinocyte proliferation assessed by Ki-67 staining of longitudinal hair follicle cryosections. Testosterone which is metabolized by intrafollicular 5-ex-reductase to DHT lead to significant growth suppression at the concentration of 5 ug/ml.This suppression was neutralized by caffeine in concentrations of 0.001 and 0.005%. Moreover, caffeine alone lead to a significant stimulation of hair follicle growth compared to normal medium. The results were confirmed by proliferation assessment with Ki-67 staining. Androgen-dependent growth inhibition of ex vivo hair follicles from patients suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia was present in the human hair organ culture model. This model imitates the clinical situation ofAGA in vitro and may serve for future studies to screen new substances against androgen-dependent hair loss. Caffeine counteracted the inhibitory effect of testosterone and was identified as a stimulator of human hair growth in vitro, a fact which may have important impact on clinical management of Androgenetic Alopecia.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Interesting... so we can assume that caffeine doesn't necessarily regrow hair, but it does help to prevent the balding process (so far as testosterone is concerned). Also, it helps with "significant hair follicle stimulation".... excellent.

hairsucks

Established Member
Reaction score
what is "significant hair follicle stimulation" if it's not regrowth?

Does this mean that shampoo like Alpacin is a good idea then?

That new hair loss spray from boots is caffeine based, has anyone had results from using that yet?

Is there not a problem using topical caffeine along with other topicals as it prevents the others from working?

michael barry

Reaction score
.............................why this is SIGNIFIGANT is that DEPARTMENTS OF DERMATOLOGY AT UNIVERSITIES conducted the study, with male pattern baldness HAIRS.

This study has been done at 2 different universities that had the same result with balding follicles.
Its NOT CONJECTURE.

Its NOT CONJECTURE.

ITS NOT CONJECTURE, based on someone's PET THEORY OF BALDNESS, but has been shown to work with REAL HAIRS. They only tested it in humans being for four months, but did find that the amount of RESTING follicles went down from 22 percent to the normal 15 percent. So, YES....................it does look like caffeine could PREVENT FURTHER BALDNESS in individuals if topically applied in such a way as to keep it in the dermis long enough without being broken down or moved away at the correct concentration.

Its interesting, and the European Hair Research Society is serious stuff in the hair research game, http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/pr ... r=92842&fi

Look at all the info presented at their conference.............................very impressive.

Something Ive learned about researching into hair--------------------------------people develop their own PET baldness theories and beliefs, and want to believe NOTHING BUT THOSE BELIEFS. If they think one element of the hair cycle is the where things go wrong in baldness, and why hairs miniaturize, they become devoted to THAT idea at the exclusion of everything else, because that is what they WANT TO THINK ABOUT BALDNESS. I exchange emails from time to time with someone considered damn near expert on health issues, and he really wants to believe that there is something out there that we can eat that will invalidate the particular genetic expression that causes badlness to occur and also inhibit alpha five reductase activity and act as a strong anti-oxidant. Well, that would be nice, but there probably is no such nutrient out in the wild in any kind of food-------------------------------but that is WHAT HE WANTS TO THINK ABOUT BALDNESS. None of the myriad pictures and studies Ive ever sent him even elicit a comment. He just trudges forward thinking he can EAT HIS WAY OUT of baldness genetics. That would be great, and I'd love to eat some nut or bean that could do that, but Im not holding my breath......

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
.............................why this is SIGNIFIGANT is that DEPARTMENTS OF DERMATOLOGY AT UNIVERSITIES conducted the study, with male pattern baldness HAIRS.

This study has been done at 2 different universities that had the same result with balding follicles.
Its NOT CONJECTURE.

Michael I am pretty sure it is just the one university and the one study - this is the same Elsner research group that made the news online years ago with the caffeine vs hairloss claim who then went on to present a poster on that work and this year that research was finally written up and published as a paper.

Its NOT CONJECTURE.

ITS NOT CONJECTURE, based on someone's PET THEORY OF BALDNESS, but has been shown to work with REAL HAIRS. They only tested it in humans being for four months, but did find that the amount of RESTING follicles went down from 22 percent to the normal 15 percent. So, YES....................it does look like caffeine could PREVENT FURTHER BALDNESS in individuals if topically applied in such a way as to keep it in the dermis long enough without being broken down or moved away at the correct concentration.

Its interesting, and the European Hair Research Society is serious stuff in the hair research game, http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/pr ... r=92842&fi

Look at all the info presented at their conference.............................very impressive.

I agree - there is a wealth of great info in there - we are only just seeing in the past few months many of the research that was presented as abstracts at the 2006 conference show up in journals. Some of the most interesting stuff IMO on the role of ROS in male pattern baldness hasn't done so yet.
I am still waiting for the various abstracts from this years meeting to make their way online. Should be very interesting.

Something Ive learned about researching into hair--------------------------------people develop their own PET baldness theories and beliefs, and want to believe NOTHING BUT THOSE BELIEFS. If they think one element of the hair cycle is the where things go wrong in baldness, and why hairs miniaturize, they become devoted to THAT idea at the exclusion of everything else, because that is what they WANT TO THINK ABOUT BALDNESS. I exchange emails from time to time with someone considered damn near expert on health issues, and he really wants to believe that there is something out there that we can eat that will invalidate the particular genetic expression that causes badlness to occur and also inhibit alpha five reductase activity and act as a strong anti-oxidant. Well, that would be nice, but there probably is no such nutrient out in the wild in any kind of food-------------------------------but that is WHAT HE WANTS TO THINK ABOUT BALDNESS. None of the myriad pictures and studies Ive ever sent him even elicit a comment. He just trudges forward thinking he can EAT HIS WAY OUT of baldness genetics. That would be great, and I'd love to eat some nut or bean that could do that, but Im not holding my breath......

This is common in all areas of science. I wouldn't so much call them "pet theories" as it sort of implies to my ears that they are based on stuff that is demonstrably false but - biology is a complex thing. As human beings we like simple, elegant answers. compared to other fields there is not a lot of research into hair loss - particularly androgenetic alopecia. Still there is a lot of info that doesnt really "hang together" that well and a lot for one person to hold in their head. Its natural for people to focus on things that they believe may be more important than others or at least find more interesting. People working in a field will have their own hunches or intuitions about what they think the "real picture" is. Later evidence may back that up or rule it out. But in a state of uncertainty people form what might be more kindly described as hypotheses and personal interests.
hh

michael barry

Reaction score
100% agreed Harold.....

The reason I thought it was 2 universities was this verbiage:

1.Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Friedrich-Schiller-University, Jena, Germany 2.Department of Dermatology and Venerology, University Hospital Schleswig-Holstein, University of Lübeck, Lübeck, Germany

Ive not checked into "Friedrich-Schiller-University" or the Department of Dermatology and Venerology, University Hospital Schlewwig-Holstein, University of Lubeck, Germany------but I was assuming these were two different places. I have no idea how big these unis are or if its two campuses of the same university, etc. Two cities are mentioned. I guess I could wikipedia it. The whole hair cultivation is exciting to me..............getting the hairs away from any other influences and seeing what happens therein when testosterone is added. Im a believer in donor dominance based on body hair transplants to the scalp retaining their color and curl, and believe that the "bad genetics" are in the dermal papilla. However, if proven wrong, I'll gladly accept it. I dont care how baldness is defeated. If someone does a study showing standing on your head stops hairloss with pics, I'll tell it to the mountains thats the way to keep hair. Its time for science to defeat early onset baldness in my opinion, and I back anyone researching it.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Great caffeine helps stop hairloss. Why cant I buy a topical that can deliver the right amount of caffeine to stop my hair loss then instead of having to take propecia?
We need concrete products that actually make use of all this research. Putting caffeine on your head in some delivery vehicle you make yourself isnt exactly the same thing as a real product that uses it.

mumuka

Established Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Why cant I buy a topical that can deliver the right amount...

Well, because you didnt research. But thats why we are here one to help another.
4516529901.jpg

Ingredients:
Aqua, Alcohol Denat., Parfum, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Panthenol, Menthol, Caffeine, Niacinamide, Zinc PCA, Limonene, Linalool, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Citral, Retinyl Acetate

Here you can find caffeine shampoo too http://www.alpecin.de/en/hair-loss/shampoo/index.php