Equol

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gubter87 said:
It is natural, can be obtained fairly cheap...

What makes you think it's "fairly cheap"? How do you really know whether or not the prices you may have seen for it were for useful, biologically active quantities, or just some useless quantity that a company was trying to get you to buy?

Gubter87 said:
One could probably make a fairly effective topical out of it.

I think that's pure speculation. I think it's much more likely NOT to work topically.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gubter87 said:
Hehe, you are right I have absolutely no way of knowing things as quality or authenticity as I do not have any way of checking these things in my flat.

You ARE British, aren't you? :)

Gubter87 said:
And of course it is speculation... Therefore the: "One could probably" part :) Just as much as you think its likely not to work topically.

_I_ was simply playing the odds, though: topical androgens and antiandrogens and related substances have traditionally not worked very well (there are some exceptions to that general rule, of course); so I was simply playing it safe by saying that topical equol probably doesn't work.

Gubter87 said:
I am just surprised that not more people are talking about this, as people seem to be going on about and trying lots of different things.

There have been a few discussions of equol in the past, but this is the first time anybody has suggested using the stuff topically! I personally have argued against the use of systemic equol, pointing out that the results should be very similar to what you get with finasteride and dutasteride. But now you're throwing in a new variable (using it topically), which is going to make the results more difficult to predict! :)

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
We all might have something inside us that could be activated to help prevent hair loss!

Oral Equol is completely different from finasteride or dutasteride 5ar inhibitors.....

Difference #1: Equol does not inhibit 5ar enzyme like finasteride or dutasteride does, Equol doesn't even say hello to it. Equol is not a 5ar inhibitor!

Difference #2: 5ar enzyme is left alone to carry out other bodily functions.

Difference #3: Equol directly binds to the DHT molecule effectively disabling it.

Difference #4: Equol is much cheaper than finasteride or dutasteride as it could possibly be produced naturally, (and many do already naturally) in the gut under the right laundry list conditions, (we all might have something inside us that could be activated to help prevent hair loss!).

Difference #5: Those who our already producing Equol naturally have no finasteride or dutasteride side effects!

Difference #6: Candidate for topical and oral research.

Difference #7: Good luck, your on your own because there is little research and support, god knows if you already produce it, what the dosage is or if it is working for you or ever will or if you are paying for bogus ingredients.

EQUOL study:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00787007?spons="Ausio+Pharmaceuticals,+LLC"&spons_ex=Y&rank=1

YOU CAN BUY IT, IT IS FOR SELL.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=81086

riptiduh

Reaction score
I am going to give this Densiti a try; ordered 1 bottle.

240 capsules at twice daily, will make for a good 4 months plus it's free right now!

I already eat at least one soy food a day, it won't be much of a diet change.

Just for info, I am an NW1-1.5, most thinning is in the front with very little thinning in back.
finasteride 1mg 1-2 days (Cut in half some days, very random) / 1-2ml minoxidil (Generic) once daily with a touch of Lavender/Curcumin/Green Tea added / My own concoction - 2 oz bottle 1/3 ethanol 2/3 water small part Jojoba Oil, 1 capsule Biotin, 3 capsule Green Tea, 2 capsule Apple Poly (Swanson Vitamin), 1/4 capsule curcumin, 2 drops Lavender.

My hair has stayed the same for the last 2 years (3 years finasteride/2 minoxidil/1custom solution) so any changes are very noticeable.

Pictures for reference:
http://img19.imageshack.us/i/img1554m.jpg/
http://img188.imageshack.us/i/img1556zt.jpg/

Wish me luck, see you in ~4 months

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Citation! :punk:

:woot: http://www.biolreprod.org/content/70/4/1188.full :woot:

".....DISCUSSION.....The possibility exists that equol can have anti-androgenic actions on a number of tissues throughout the body. In particular, blockade of androgen action could be beneficial not only for preventing growth of reproductive tissues with DHT dependency such as prostate and epididymis, other androgen-responsive tissues may also benefit from equol therapy. Such conditions include female- and male-pattern baldness [42–44]; facial and body hair growth [42–44]; skin health (acne, anti-aging, and anti-photo aging) [42, 45]; skin integrity (collagen and elastin robustness) [42, 45]; and emotional and mental health issues, such as, mood, depression, anxiety, learning, and memory [46, 47]. ....."

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
wow that densiti stuff is cool....anyone who tries it feedback would be awesome!

riptiduh

Reaction score
I will definitely be following instructions :)

About noticing any changes.. I expect very little if anything at all. There was a short break, about 2 months where I backed off finasteride completely and lowered the dose of vitamins. Around the 1 month mark a little more hair was falling out in the shower, not gobs but 10-20 more. 2 months in and you could definitely feel the difference on my head, hair felt limp and lifeless and the coverage when combed down over my forehead was noticeably thin. Since we are all narcisists in a way, small changes are obvious. I watched myself go from a full blown NW2 to NW1 in 9 months on finasteride, ever since I carefully watch the changes...which are small nonetheless..

Hopefully this will give me the extra bit to not have to worry every season when the natural sheds/thinning takes place and give me more time to save for HM or something down the road..

Cheers again, hopefully my success with this will help others :)

Take note the before pictures, you'll get new ones come March/April. If I forget, PM me!

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
What are the ingredients to the supplement called Densiti?

I am skeptical, mainly because I go to their web site and I don't see any ingredients listed. Maybe I did not look long enough or in the right place or maybe it is not there I don't know. The site could also be more informative.

mykal_P

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered some, so did many others cuz they said my shipping date got pushed back due to high order volume. When I get it I shall post results, just call me guinea pig.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
mykal_P said:
I ordered some, so did many others cuz they said my shipping date got pushed back due to high order volume. When I get it I shall post results, just call me guinea pig.

Please do us all a favor and post what the bottle says the ingredients are, because inquiring minds want to know before we even take time for the free sample.

mykal_P

Established Member
Reaction score
hairrific said:
Please do us all a favor and post what the bottle says the ingredients are, because inquiring minds want to know before we even take time for the free sample.
Will do. They said it ships the 10th if it don't get pushed back again.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
contains bacillus coagulans and green tea extract, caffeine.

It dose not contain the isoflavandiol daidzein so as the label says you just have to intake some soy product.

Don't know what the price is but I am already taking all that with my supplement of probiotics, and multi-vitamins with soy isoflavanoids from the health food store and coffee. :)

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not impressed with Densiti ingredients, you can do better by taking everything separate, like probiotics and isoflavandiols supplement that contains 30mg daidzein. A soy food product is a poor source as most of the isoflavoniod value is usually cooked out.

FROM:http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56493&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Soy isoflavones have recently received a lot of attention, but many people remain ignorant of their value in terms of prostate health. Studies on the effects of soy isoflavones on prostate health have been numerous, but have surfaced only in recent years. The main constituents in soy with which we are concerned are genestein and daidzein. These aren’t 'phytoestrogens' as there is no oestrogen (or testosterone, progesterone, DHEA, melatonin, etc) in any plant. Studies on prostate health and isoflavones have been published in journals such as Prostate, Anti-cancer Research, Journal of Endocrinology, Nutrition and Cancer, Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and many others. The proof is overwhelming. Purchase a good brand that lists the amount of genestein and daidzein on the label and take one in the morning and one in the evening. Soy foods can be a poor source of isoflavones, especially foods such as tofu. Soy isoflavone supplements are a much more practical means of soy intake.

mykal_P

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems that people who dedicate themselves to taking Densiti as directed and adhere to the dietary guidelines have a very strong chance of becoming an equol-producer and achieving a measurable improvement in their hair loss. We are proud of how successful Densiti can be for our customers.
Just a snippet from a email they sent me. I like the word "chance", as in, maybe this will work for you, maybe it won't. Seems all speculative now, so I'm glad it was free. Also as hairiffic pointed out it would be more effective to take the stuff needed in pill form, instead of buying soy milk and yogurt every week. PITA if you ask me.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ericmurphy said:
The same goes for yogurt. The Lactobacillus acidophilus is best absorbed from a yogurt product compared to a supplement. There are many more live cultures in yogurt versus any supplement...

On a gram-for-gram basis? :)

ericmurphy said:
...and more are apt to survive and pass into the small intestine.

What do you base that claim on?

Hoppi

Reaction score
Thought I'd kick this thread back up, as I am interested again in the idea of reducing DHT without reducing 5-alpha reductase.

So, what happened in the end? Did anyone give it a go? :)