dutasteride users

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
Do some of you that was taking it ED, switched to EOD and with the same result?

For someone who been taking it for a few years ED should be fine to change to EOD right?

Thanks

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You will get slightly better results taking it ED than EOD. Not hugely better, just a little bit better. Taking dutasteride EOD will give better results than what would be obtained through finasteride usage, however. dutasteride at the standard 0.5mg daily dosage results in an inhibition rate of 98-99% for the 5-AR type 2 enzyme, and about 50% for the 5-AR type 1 enzyme. An EOD dosing scheme would result in an estimated inhibition rate of 95% for 5-AR type 2 and about 18% for 5-AR type 1. Finasteride at the standard dose, meanwhile, inhibits 85-90% of the type 2 enzyme and a negligible amount of the type 1 enzyme. As you may know, 5-AR type 2 is by far the biggest contributing factor towards male-pattern baldness. 5-AR type 1 appears not to play any role at all, and inhibiting this enzyme is risky because it is present in the brain. There is actually, therefore, a lot of sense in taking dutasteride EOD rather than ED, as it inhibits almost as much of the type 2 enzyme, while inhibiting far less of the type 1 enzyme. I myself take it every day, but because of my own concerns over 5-AR type 1 inhibition, I am also considering changing to a lower dosing scheme such as taking it two days out of every three.

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Rudolphus, thanks a lot for your reply.

Well i've been taking dutasteride for about 6 year, mostly ED but sometimes i took it EOD. Yes my only concern is type 1 inhibition, but i'd be much more concerned if it would inhibit as much as type 2, but i guess i'll to EOD. I've read that type 1 is reversible, i dont really know what that means but i guess it's not a bad thing?

How long have you been taking it? And why 3 days on and 2 days out and not EOD?

Thanks

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Type 1 inhibition is reversible, but that doesn't make it any safer, because the fact is you are still inhibiting 50% of DHT produced by this enzyme.

I haven't been taking dutasteride very long. Just a few months. I made the switch from finasteride. I'm considering taking dutasteride two days out of every three (two days on, one day off) to minimized the amount of 5-AR type 1 inhibition, but also to get very slightly more 5-AR type 2 inhibition than taking it EOD. I estimate that taking it two days out of every three would give 96-97% 5-AR type 2 inhibition.

How has it been for you taking it ED? Have you experienced side effects?

hmm

Established Member
Reaction score
If you've been taking it everyday and it works without sides I'd stick with it. Problem is you won't know for quite some time if EOD will work for you as well as ED. So if sh!t starts going downhill you'll be scrambling to turn it around and may lose ground.

I'd say the same for anyone who is on finasteride 1mg a day and it's working, don't go to dutasteride until finasteride no longer works for you. I personally had 8 great years on 1mg finasteride ED, but during the 9th year I noticed I was slowly creeping back to baseline so I added .5mg dutasteride EOD. It's been about 9 months now, seems to be turning things around will give it a full year to be sure.

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could you please provide med with a study that shows the the percentage that you're giving? Because they seem way too high. I've never seen a finasteride study that shows a higher percentage than 70%
You are mistaken my friend. The 70% figure that you are referring to is the amount of total DHT suppression in blood plasma. Blood plasma contains DHT from both type 1 and type 2 alpha-reductase. finasteride inhibits 85-90% of DHT from type 2 and none of the DHT from type 1. The result is that 70% of DHT in the plasma is removed.

As far as I know Dutasteride is 18% stronger than finansteride. Oh and by the way, finansteride and dutasteride works differently. Some are better responders to finasteride than dutasteride due to genotypes. It's not really that easy to compare.
My opinion on this is that it is unlikely that any person would actually get better results from finasteride than from dutasteride. For this to be true, such a person would have to get more 5-AR type 2 inhibition from finasteride than dutasteride, which seems highly unlikely. From what I've read, dutasteride is effective across the whole range of genotypes. I'd be interested to see a study that backs up what you have stated.

Zel_[]

My Regimen
Reaction score
You will get slightly better results taking it ED than EOD. Not hugely better, just a little bit better. Taking dutasteride EOD will give better results than what would be obtained through finasteride usage, however. dutasteride at the standard 0.5mg daily dosage results in an inhibition rate of 98-99% for the 5-AR type 2 enzyme, and about 50% for the 5-AR type 1 enzyme. An EOD dosing scheme would result in an estimated inhibition rate of 95% for 5-AR type 2 and about 18% for 5-AR type 1. Finasteride at the standard dose, meanwhile, inhibits 85-90% of the type 2 enzyme and a negligible amount of the type 1 enzyme. As you may know, 5-AR type 2 is by far the biggest contributing factor towards male-pattern baldness. 5-AR type 1 appears not to play any role at all, and inhibiting this enzyme is risky because it is present in the brain. There is actually, therefore, a lot of sense in taking dutasteride EOD rather than ED, as it inhibits almost as much of the type 2 enzyme, while inhibiting far less of the type 1 enzyme. I myself take it every day, but because of my own concerns over 5-AR type 1 inhibition, I am also considering changing to a lower dosing scheme such as taking it two days out of every three.
pretty sure these figures were established by the late Bryan on this site?