dudler's Story

dudler

Reaction score
My story isn't as dramatic as many of the others I've read, perhaps because I'm 32 and just now experiencing major hair loss. Thought I was in the clear, but alas, no such luck. It is still a somewhat traumatic event, but I'm already married, so that may take the edge off of what some of the bachelor posters are experiencing.

Anyway, I've been lurking this forum for about three weeks now, reading as much as I could prior to making my first post. I wanted to educate myself as thoroughly as possible before committing some of the traditional newbie errors (err, what's finasteride? and where can I buy it?).

Here's my story. I had no appreciable (noticable) hair loss until about a month ago when I looked in the light of my bathroom mirror and saw some horrific gaps at my hair line. Using the overhead mirror confirmed my worst fears - there were patches of baldness across the top of my head from the front to the mid part. I had been wearing my hair slicked back until that time and realized that wasn't going to work anymore. From the pictures that other posters have provided, I'd say that my loss resembles HairLossTalk.com's most closely.

I'm not in total denial that my loss is due to male pattern baldness, but it did come on so quickly as to make me wonder if there were other factors involved. Literally, I went from needing a haircut every three weeks to now having gone six weeks without needing a cut. The entire texture of my hair feels like it changed from one haircut to the next, with clear miniaturization having taken place, and the waviness that used to characterize the front being almost totally gone. I don't see any shedding on my pillow but there is definitely a lot more in the shower. And the hairs aren't thick like they used to be but are these weeny little strands.

I immediately followed some of the recommendations from this forum and got on Nizoral, Crew spray, and Lee's 2% spironolactone spray. I've got an appointment with a dermatologist in a few weeks just to alleviate any concerns that my diet may have played any role in hair loss (I've lost about 30 pounds since the beginning of this year), and then I'll consider whether I'm willing to take the risks of Propecia. I'm holding off on minoxidil for now but will perhaps try Nano shampoo as a regrowth strategy. Thanks for all the invaluable info that you've all provided. :D