Dr.Shapiro

shajipl

Reaction score
Has anyone had good experience with Dr.Shapiro (Minnesota)?. Iam planning to go to him for my hair transplant.If so , could you please post your pictures over here?? Iam kinda tensed ..coz i keep hearing horror stories about hair transplant.

Kebabman

Reaction score
Hey there, how you doing? Where all the old group like Pete 2001, Topman2b, Troymacure, Rocky?

Have to bare with me, first time have posted on this new site, used to be a regular with the old one but have only read messages on this one and not posted any until now.

Dr Shapiro is one of the top 3 if not the top man himself in h/t surgery. I thoroughly recommend the whole company. I've been to Dr Rose who is part of the Shapiro Group based in Florida for 2 lots of h/t, first one being for 2200 grafts all over back in April and the other recently for 1650 3 weeks ago. After 6 months of the first h/t my what was a Norwood 5a baldness has gone down to a Norwood 4 and that is only after 6 months. It's so good that the Toppik I've been using for a long time has started to give the impression I'm wearing a rug cos of the thickness of the new growth! It is unnoticeable too, no sign of punch marks etc, noone would know you had a hair transplant.

I can't wait for the 3/4 month mark where new hair comes through for my last hair transplant in about 9 weeks. Dr Rose is a great guy, very generous and do his utmost to give you as many grafts as possible for a very reasonable price.

I'm over the moon with what I've had done, am hoping that at a Norwood 5a which I was that between 2 procedures of 3850 grafts it will be enough to give me total, full coverage and not need to ever use Toppik again or to go back to Florida for another session. I thoroughly recommend him and the Shapiro Group to anyone. Good thing is you go out there and treat it as a holiday, catch some rays, meet some girls, drink plenty of Buds, gotta be done!

Regards.

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
hey K-Man nice to see you back...christ is it that long since you had the first procedure done?? i can't believe it, how time's flown eh....glad it's looking good tho, cos i know you were a bit down at the time....keep us updated mate :lol:

Kebabman

Reaction score
Troy how ya doing man? Thanks for the reply good to hear from you.

Yea things were pretty :( at the time 7 or 8 months ago, went out for first treatment back last December only to find Dr Rose saying that due to infection a minoxidil product called "Remox" had had on my scalp he wouldn't operate, awful stuff not wish it on worst enemy. Then when due to go back in end of Feb did my back in day before playing golf and couldn't fly! Doomed or what!

Also my ex said bye bye and sure my paranoia about baldness was a cause. But that was then and now there are 2 or 3 very keen on the K-man so things on the up my friend, in more ways than one!! :wink:

How things on top for you? Life treating you well? Not see many posts from Pete 2001, Topman2b etc now.

Anyways, good to hear from you.

K-man

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
hey kebabman, a few months ago you promised to take pics and show them. just show some plz. don't have to show your face just hair.

thanks!

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
hey K-man...yep life's okay at the moment, just bought a new house and i got a new g/f about 2 months ago who's 22 and a little nymph which is great makes a change from my last one who was less into the pleasures of the flesh ;)

i remember your problems getting the surgery done, the cancellation then doing the back in, that was rough man but all's turned out okay then for you eh? No more cap-wearing! Has anyone at work asked about your hair or commented? Have you told anyone?

Not seen Pete2001 or Topman2B around for a bit, i suppose people move on, i'm sure it's a good sign though, like things are going ok and they're letting go of a crutch!

Kebabman

Reaction score
Yea agreed although it does depend on what the crutch is like!

Glad things are going well, where's the house? How about the growth on top? What scale you down to now? Pleased about the girlie situation, what a difference it makes and how much more confidence it gives you when they want you 24/7, :lol:

Still wearing the Toppik and cap, hope the new growth will come through early December, ie 12 weeks after surgery and then the cap will be burnt and ditched, what a happy day that will be! I'm hoping I won't need a third session as in two sessions I've had 3850 grafts, but at a Norwood 5a from scratch may need to densen things up, we'll see. If so just have to take another holiday to Florida, get lashed up on Becks and meet some American girls, :wink:

Only close friends and family know I've had transplants and an ex g/f. I work in an office and although I'm sure people think I'm wearing a rug cos of the Toppik on top noone comments, think they know better as I'm 6 foot and 16 stone!

Shame about the old boys but as you say tis a good sign, means products are working and people are moving on back to their "pre" bald days.

Good to hear from you my friend, enjoy the chats.

Kebabman.

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
6ft tall and 16 stone eh??? christ, you MUST be a rugby player then i'm guessing??

the new house is still in Bolton, just down the road from where i was, it's cool but hard to adjust to living alone in a big house after being in a little flat...as for hair situation, still around NW2 just starting to get a little frustrated though cos there are signs there's some kind of deterioration starting at the crown where Propecia regrew all my hair for a year but now seems to be starting to thin a little again and also at the vertex, so have had to start applying a little minoxidil in those ares to try and encourage them to grow stronger again...i'm thinking it also might be time for a higher finast dosage like 2.5mg maybe that'll help a little, plus there's always dutasteride to consider, so i'm still in the game and as determined as ever to keep things as they are...

speaking of Becks, you just reminded me my local Safeway has an offer on, 12 bottles for £3.50 i better get down to the shops after work :D

Kebabman

Reaction score
I used to play a few years ago until my back problem, now it's more golf, snooker and drinking, far more enjoyable!

So is your new girl going to move in, or too early to say?

How old are you Troy? Which minoxidil are you using, 5%? You should try and stick to the regime of minoxidil, a good shampoo T/Gel, and finasteride daily. Have you thought of getting transplants as a last resort? I would have thought at your scale you'd only need about a 1000 grafts to really thicken things up at a cost of about £3000, well worth considering.

I know Dr Rose thoroughly recommends the above before transplants and after. The minoxidil helps new growth come through quicker, thicker and stronger, and fiansteride will keep what you already have. I've not cut my hair for a while now and it will look a lot thicker on top once I do, so could be next week sometime. Also hoping when I get time to put photos on this site, but will wait till new growth from second treatment comes through.

Cheers for that although Iceland are doing a "buy 1 get 1 free" on Heinekens, 8 big lagers for £4, major result! :lol:

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm 26 K-Man...mental age of 15 though lol...i played rugby once, but i had a bad experience cos i was a bit lighter than some of the knuckleheads who were on my sports course i got put on the wing and when i received the ball i was hit simultaneously from both sides by two 8ft tall hairy gorillas with public schoolboy accents lol and it resulted in me being on crutches for the best part of 4 months with a knee injury...now i play a lot of golf (handicap around 8, used to be lower tho) and tennis - my degree at uni was part sports science so i also got quite a few coaching badges, particularly in tennis and football...but no more rugby for me ;)

as for my girl....naa it's dead casual at the moment, we see each other once maybe twice a week and go watch a movie then usually back to my place for a bit of how's-yer-father then she gets a taxi and goes home, it's ideal!

I use minoxidil 5% with retin-a mostly, propecia daily and nizoral every 2 or 3 days or so...i haven't really considered surgery as an option yet, i think at worst dutasteride will buy me a couple of years before this is necessary if i need to go that route, but then again who knows what will happen? I've certainly researched surgery options though, had a look at UK clinics like Dr. Farjo's who CrazyDiamond and Pete2001 have both used and recommended...but if i had to, and i had the money, then morally or otherwise i would have no objections against a bit of surgery...is it painful, cos i'm a wimp lol

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Well .. a big house all to yourself..

Will the great troy maclure let me crash when I vacation in the UK? heh..

On the hair note.. are you really sure you want to bump up to 2.5? Maybe it's just a shedding phase and it will pass..

Maybe it's time for some RU .. :wink:

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
Rich...you're more than welcome, though i'm a good 4 or 5 hour's drive away from London ;)

i dunno about the finasteride rich...it might just be a shed i suppose, i just never thinned at the crown in previous sheds which makes me think Propecia might be starting to lose it a bit, maybe go to 2.5mg finast for now and add a little dutasteride once a week or something...i dunno, i got major nut-ache last time i took 2.5mg 8O

if only RU was commercially available, give us another option at least, and that copper peptide stuff too...

Kebabman

Reaction score
Troy, blimey playing off 8 handicap, very good, you've got some good courses up your way. Are you a member anywhere? When I was playing regularly and had more time I got down to 13 playing twice a week but now it's more like an 18 :( Did you watch us kick our American friends butts in Ryder Cup?! Loadsa :lol: for that!

As for the surgery, no doesn't hurt at all, you're so out of it on valium and injected so as not to feel anything and I've found when these wear off I don't need the painkillers. I know Pete was very impressed and also Topman2b with their work they had done. It's worth doing if you can afford it mate. I was looking at the scar Dr Rose left which is hardly noticeable and the hair above soon covers it over. As for the transplants themselves there are no holes left that can be seen under close scrutiny. Hopefully Dutasteride will be out soon which will sustain what we have eh?

As for girlie situation best way to be. Been seeing a separated lady, great laugh, good looking and huge "assets" to go with it! :D

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
we do have some good courses, most of them private and quite posh though...i'm not actually a member anywhere anymore because i don't like all the snobbery you tend to get with these private clubs and all the rules and regulations...positions of "authority" such as Lady Captain, who's usually just some stuffy old bag in a tight Pringle polo-neck holding all her wrinkly chicken neck in place...the whole atmosphere of clubhouses i just hate...so i normally go down the local muni a couple of times a week in summer with some guys from work, occasionally go on the better courses for a round too...i agree about the Ryder Cup, that was superb what a win, never thought we'd beat the US with that team...then again, they were carrying some pretty ordinary players too - but we won :lol:

do you have any before & after pictures from the surgery by the way?

Kebabman

Reaction score
Yea was superb mate, loadsa lager sunk that Sunday, :D

When I get a chance I will put on this site before and after photos now I've got a scanner set up at home. The surgery took before photos and obviously when I went back for the second treatment they took more photos at all angles so they may well have to do for now if I email them and ask them to send them to me. I presume they can hide your face on this site if you ask them to? Don't really fancy having my boat race plastered all over the web! I also have taken pictures every 8 weeks from the start but only on a cheap disposable camera which I took myself, so hate to think the quality and angles they will come out at! I'll get those developed once the new growth comes through in a couple of months or so.

Tell you Troy, the hardest part in all this is being patient. You will the new growth on day by day, 8 weeks seems so far away! Must be a natural greed thing, you've got some back, now you want more and more till I can ditch the Toppik and never wear a cap again!

I'd be interested in anyones views on whether at a Norwood 5a to start with whether a combination of 3850 grafts on top and frontal regions will be enough to stop me using Toppik, or whether a third session will be required?

Cheers Troy and fellow baldies.

K-Man

Topman2b

Reaction score
Dr Shapiro

Hey K man and Troy,
Well I signed back on not to long ago (see 'Hair Transplant' p3) and still doing good on the hair transplant front. K I have to agree with everything about the Shapiro setup, very professional, very friendly and very productive! Like you I was a Norwood 5a and following the (just under) 2000 grafts I had last Dec he did say I would need another two similar to give reasonably good density on crown and vertex. My only regret is that I didn't have it done years ago and probably spent as much on Regaine, Finasteride and all the others combined with what I spent on the hair transplant. And, given that the hair transplant is permanent it really is excellent value for money.

Troy I would be careful about increasing your finasteride to 2.5 mg as you also increase the potential side-effects, and remember no one yet knows the long term effect of this. Like the K man says have another think about hair transplant's, it just saves so much hassle in the long run, although like you it took me years to get round to finally going for it.

My main concern now is the follow ups and travelling to Minneapolis is a problem so now considering again Dr Farjo who operates in London and Manchester (where I am) and Pete2001 and others have posted good info on him so I'm going to check him out soon.

Anyway hope you guys (and the other posters) are all ok and keep feeding the follicles!
:lol:

Kebabman

Reaction score
Topman2b, good to hear from you mate. Glad alls going well on top. So do you really think for your amount of hairloss you would need in the region of 6000 grafts for full density? Seems an awful lot, even for a Norwood 5A. Have you ever checked on sites where you see before and after photos giving you an indication of how many grafts have been used? Well even total baldies don't normally need that many to give them a good coverage on top. I've now had two h/t's with a total of 3850 grafts. Too early to say how many more will be needed, be great if that would be enough, but I suppose you have to allow for another session if necessary.

Heard great things about Dr Farjo, and yes he's in England, but I remember someone saying that he charges more than Shapiro and the difference will cover a week out in the States as a holiday of sorts, which must beat a week in England anytime :lol:

Be interested in anyone that has been at a Norwood 5/5A and how many grafts they've needed for good, dense coverage?

Regards

Kebabman

peterj

Reaction score
Hey keb go search for new hair institutes wepage they have tons of before and after pictures with 5aand 6 completed Hair transplant results and number of grafts that they had.It is supposed to be next to shapiro one of the best in the states.Dr.Bernstein.

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
hey Topman...nice to hear from you again...i haven't bumped up my finast dosage yet, still weighing my options up :wink: things aren't BAD on Propecia, i just get the odd tell-tale sign that my hair quality is starting to decline a little, and that Propecia may not be enough anymore for me....and having no real ill effects from Propecia i may tolerate the increase well - i did increase to 2.5mg briefly about 6 months ago but got off it almost immediately because i freaked at the shedding it seemed to induce...but i'm a veteran of bad sheds now and know how to see them through!

As for hair transplant's...well to be honest when i go down that route it won't be for a couple of years, by which time hopefully HM will be an option and one which i would prefer