Dr. Lee's email about stopping finasteride in case of shed

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a lot of shedding over the past 5 months and have been told that it is Telogen Effluvium, but I clearly have receded a good deal in my temples over that same time period which is indicative of male pattern baldness not Telogen Effluvium. Therefore it seems I have male pattern baldness that has been started or sped up by the shedding from Telogen Effluvium. Below is an excerpt from an email Dr. Lee sent to me about my condition:

Unfortunately, we are also getting rare reports of 'massive shedding', usually after several months of successful finasteride therapy. Apparently, the systemic reduction of DHT incites a telogen effluvium in a very small percentage of patients. If the massive shedding occurs, the consensus among dermatologist is to stop using the finasteride.

I am not trying to start some conspiracy about finasteride. The reason I am posting this is because I so often hear people say that finasteride can never to harm it can only help, and I've believed that, but if that is the case then why would a bunch of Derms tell you to stop under certain conditions.

By the way, I am not going to stop taking finasteride.