does tingling on the scalp indicate hair loss?

asdf1234

Established Member
Reaction score
im just asking out of curiosity as my head itches.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Not necessarily. I do notice some sort of correlation with itchy head and hair loss--it often itches in that area, and then loose, miniaturized hairs fall out (usually hairline and all on top). When I was on Finasteride this stopped completely. It reappeared when I took a break from it.

But most guys losing hair don't see this, so don't put any stock in it being a reliable indicator of anything.

T

TravisB

I'll ask the other way - can itching be indication of new hair growth when on treatments?

Jeremy K

Reaction score
In my experience, yes in regards to it indicating hair loss. It is from inflammation, and when I had my biggest bout of shedding from April-June '08 where I lost quite a bit of density, my temples itched pretty badly along with my crown, and at times my scalp even ached pretty badly. Once I found out what was going on and did something about it, the itching went away and my hairloss went back to it's slow, but steady rate.

MemoryWarning

Reaction score
Jeremy K said:
In my experience, yes in regards to it indicating hair loss. It is from inflammation, and when I had my biggest bout of shedding from April-June '08 where I lost quite a bit of density, my temples itched pretty badly along with my crown, and at times my scalp even ached pretty badly. Once I found out what was going on and did something about it, the itching went away and my hairloss went back to it's slow, but steady rate.

So what was it that helped?

Jeremy K

Reaction score
Well, it's tough to say because none of it stopped my hairloss but the inflammation subsided and the hairloss calmed down. Whether it was a coincidence or not, I do not know.

This was back in June '08, and when I saw just how much hair I lost I did what a lot of people initially do, which is panic and start researching every natural remedy known to man. I did everything from crushing garlic and leaving on my scalp, to scalp massages, to a shampoo that is supposed to clean out sebum. I can't see how any of this helped, but right after the itching and burning stopped.

I don't use any of this stuff any more btw because the hair continued to dwindle away as I said, just not as rapidly once the inflammation stopped.

Also, forgot to mention that I completely cut processed foods out of my diet and overhauled my diet. Maybe that played a bigger role? I don't know. All I know is that in June '08 on that fateful day when I looked in the mirror and said "What the hell happened to my hair?" (I was losing for several years prior, but it was very slow)....I was waiting for the knockout punch and figured I'd be bald within a year at that rate.

asdf1234

Established Member
Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
Not necessarily. I do notice some sort of correlation with itchy head and hair loss--it often itches in that area, and then loose, miniaturized hairs fall out (usually hairline and all on top). When I was on Finasteride this stopped completely. It reappeared when I took a break from it.

But most guys losing hair don't see this, so don't put any stock in it being a reliable indicator of anything.
even without using product? i also \generally dont scratch the itch.