Does minoxidil lose the effectiveness in long-time use?

baslangic

Reaction score
Hello, sorry for my english.

I mean that if we will use minoxidil for 5 years, will it lose the effect?

a lot of men say that "I used minoxidil for 6 months and I lost all my hair."

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Of course it loses effectiveness in the long term like all male pattern baldness treatments.

It doesn't stop male pattern baldness, it is simply a growth stimulant which will do a good job of maintaining your hair for 5years or so... but after that who knows.

You have to remember every treatment loses effectiveness in the long-term (i.e. 10years +) even the mighty finasteride and dutasteride.

minoxidil will only maintain my hair for 5 or 6 years, but I take comfort from the fact that it's not going to f*ck with my hormones...

Also people complaining about minoxidil sheds are often hypercondriacs full of sh*t, every treatment that works gives you a shed, your hair has to shed if you want to get good results (i.e. new stronger looking regrown hair).

It often seems to be Finasteride users who criticise minoxidil without ever having even used it themselves,...

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you want to know more about minoxidil long-term effectiveness search for Bryan's threads.. he cites a number of studies which show that minoxidil haircount generally begins to fall after about 2years of use, then by year 5 haircount is back at baseline level... although obviously there will be some exceptions, i.e. minoxidil may only work for 2years on some men, while it could work for 12years on others, 5years is just the average response.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride since 1997, Rogaine liquid since 1993, switched to rogaine foam in 2006.

Basically on Rogaine for 18 years and Propecia for 14 years and still have much more hair at age 42 than I did at 24.

Tell Bryan to put that in his study, lol

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HT55 said:
finasteride since 1997, Rogaine liquid since 1993, switched to rogaine foam in 2006.

Basically on Rogaine for 18 years and Propecia for 14 years and still have much more hair at age 42 than I did at 24.

wtf? that's awesome. i know you said you got better results from the foam but were you using the liquid consistently for those 18 years? was it 5%?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
baslangic said:
I mean that if we will use minoxidil for 5 years, will it lose the effect?

As far as I know, minoxidil doesn't lose its effect over time. The bad thing that happens when you use it alone is that you continue to go bald! That may make you think that it has lost its effect, but that's not really the case. I don't think it ever really does interfere with the fundamental balding process.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HT55 said:

I'm not sure what your point is. Without the help of the Propecia all that time, you almost certainly wouldn't have been able to maintain your hair (including the hair grown by the minoxidil) all that time. Using finasteride along with minoxidil is a game-changer!

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
abovedagame said:
HT55 said:

wtf? that's awesome. i know you said you got better results from the foam but were you using the liquid consistently for those 18 years? was it 5%?

I started with 2% prescription ($60 month in 1993) with tretinoin then moved to the 5% liquid.

When i switched to foam the regrowth was amazing

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
baslangic said:
you said that only minoxidil can't help, but finasteride+minoxidil work like a charm?

Minoxidil alone can help a little bit, but not very much. It "buys you a little time", as we say in this country. It can help keep your hair a little longer just because of the growth stimulation effect, without really interfering with the balding process in any really direct fashion. I hope you understand what I mean.

Yes, finasteride+minoxidil would be a much better choice to keep your hair for a longer period of time.

baslangic

Reaction score
Bryan said:
baslangic said:
you said that only minoxidil can't help, but finasteride+minoxidil work like a charm?

Minoxidil alone can help a little bit, but not very much. It "buys you a little time", as we say in this country. It can help keep your hair a little longer just because of the growth stimulation effect, without really interfering with the balding process in any really direct fashion. I hope you understand what I mean.

Yes, finasteride+minoxidil would be a much better choice to keep your hair for a longer period of time.

yes i understand. thanks for the answers..

but one more question for you

is there anything else you would advise me for addition finasteride+minoxidil+nizoral

what can i use with these three things?

or that big three enough?

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you're lucky enough to tolerate both finasteride and minoxidil, then the big 3 will most definitely be enough to maintain your hair... only after 10-15years would you maybe need to consider adding other treatments to your regimen.

minoxidil is effective for roughly 5years, minoxidil + finasteride will be effective for 10-15years in most cases...

baslangic

Reaction score
I have a lot of side effects from finasteride.. testicular pain, chest pain...

what can i do about that :(

any alternatives?

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
baslangic said:
Bryan said:
baslangic said:

yes i understand. thanks for the answers..

but one more question for you

is there anything else you would advise me for addition finasteride+minoxidil+nizoral

I have $20 on what he reccomends, lol

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Primo said:
If you're lucky enough to tolerate both finasteride and minoxidil, then the big 3 will most definitely be enough to maintain your hair... only after 10-15years would you maybe need to consider adding other treatments to your regimen.

minoxidil is effective for roughly 5years, minoxidil + finasteride will be effective for 10-15years in most cases...

Just wondering whose *** you are pulling those numbers out of as they are pure speculation

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
baslangic said:

any alternatives?

Dr. Proctor has said that Proxiphen (his own topical product) is "unquestionably more effective than Propecia" alone. The stuff certainly isn't cheap, but I have no reason to doubt his honesty and medical judgement when he makes that claim.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
baslangic said:

any alternatives?

Dr. Proctor has said that Proxiphen (his own topical product) is "unquestionably more effective than Propecia" alone. The stuff certainly isn't cheap, but I have no reason to doubt his honesty and medical judgement when he makes that claim.

Why do you keep posting that quote when you yourself have said before you don't even believe it ?

Quote from Bryan

"When he says that Proxiphen is more effective than any other treatment out there, I _do_ find that claim to be a little broad and excessive "

Again I have to laugh, you find him saying Proxiphen is MORE effective than any other treatment out there "a little broad and excessive" but YOU POST OVER AND OVER a much broader statement that " Proxiphen is UNQUESTIONABLY MORE EFFECTIVE than Propecia alone"

You can't make this stuff up, lol

Again if the stuff is so great WHY DON'T YOU USE IT ?

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
baslangic said:

any alternatives?

Proxiphen may work to some degree as it has minoxidil in it, to think it will work as well as Propecia is dreaming.

If you can't use Propecia IMO you would be much better off just using Rogaine foam which you can get for $12 bottle vs spending $100 a month on Proxiphen.

I have regrown hair at age 38 ( now 42) from crown to hairline with Foam and I use 2 cans a month to cover my entire head. Some may argue that I use Propecia which I have been on since 1997, in 2006 I switched from Liquid Rogaine to Foam and my growth took off so I have no reason to believe it wasn't the Foam that was responsible for the regrowth and even the biggest skeptic would admit regrowing a significant amount of hair after being on Propecia for 10 years is unheard of. Again I change one thing, liquid minoxidil to Foam.

A few people have pm'd me after seeing my pics saying I must be using cover up in my after pics which I now consider the ultimate compliment and tell them there is nothing in my hair and that can contact SMG who took the picks and confirm if they wish.

If you do decide to use Proxiphen PLEASE document your hair with pics every month so we can see what kind of results you got.