Does Finasteride inevitable effect all functions related to 5AR2?

Joe1191

Established Member
Reaction score
I did a lot of research and what I found to be most concerning was the worries about inhibiting 5AR2 when the CNS affected by 5ar2. Claims have made that inhibiting for too long may cause motor skills and general cognitive function to be degraded (brain fog). Is decline in cognitive ability an inevitable, eventual side effect?
Or is this somehow just a side effect that only a few experience?

Last question: is finasteride safe for long term if side effects are not experienced in the first year or two?

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
The most common side effects are related to libido and erectile function.
"Brain fog" has been experienced by some of us but it is pretty rare.
About when side effects occur: of course if you don't have them within two years, it is more and more difficult you will have those. However, with age, your erectile potency will decrease. So it is perfectly possible that 10 years into finasteride you quit it because in the meanwhile your apparatus is less functional and you start feeling that finasteride might be affecting the whole picture.

WangMQ

Established Member
Reaction score
The most common side effects are related to libido and erectile function.
"Brain fog" has been experienced by some of us but it is pretty rare.
About when side effects occur: of course if you don't have them within two years, it is more and more difficult you will have those. However, with age, your erectile potency will decrease. So it is perfectly possible that 10 years into finasteride you quit it because in the meanwhile your apparatus is less functional and you start feeling that finasteride might be affecting the whole picture.
That's not true. I never had any sides on finasteride in the first two years except slightly watery semen and slightly lower libido. Yet here I am, almost 8 years on finasteride now and getting all kinds of mental sides. They built up over time.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's not true. I never had any sides on finasteride in the first two years except slightly watery semen and slightly lower libido. Yet here I am, almost 8 years on finasteride now and getting all kinds of mental sides. They built up over time.
Sorry to hear this. However, if you read my whole post, you will see that in the second part I do specify that 10 years into finasteride the situation may change (I was referring to sexual sides, but obviously it can be extended to all finasteride usage sides). It happened to me in the past. Now I am using finasteride again and I hope it does not happen again.

Unfortunately over time the body can change its response to external stimuli in ways you would not have never believed possible.

WangMQ

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. However, if you read my whole post, you will see that in the second part I do specify that 10 years into finasteride the situation may change (I was referring to sexual sides, but obviously it can be extended to all finasteride usage sides). It happened to me in the past. Now I am using finasteride again and I hope it does not happen again.

Unfortunately over time the body can change its response to external stimuli in ways you would not have never believed possible.
My response was directed to your suggestion that if one doesn't have sides in the initial years he's less likely to run into them later. Just to offer a reminder to the folks out there :)

I guess the sides that are related to androgen itself (mainly sex related) tend to subside over time, while those related to the other hormones 5AR plays with (mental and cognitive) tend to build up. As I speculate that's because your body upregulates androgen receptor sensitivity overtime to counter the change, while the mental sides are a different story. Also explains why it becomes less and less helpful hair wise to some people including me:(

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
My response was directed to your suggestion that if one doesn't have sides in the initial years he's less likely to run into them later. Just to offer a reminder to the folks out there :)

I guess the sides that are related to androgen itself (mainly sex related) tend to subside over time, while those related to the other hormones 5AR plays with (mental and cognitive) tend to build up. As I speculate that's because your body upregulates androgen receptor sensitivity overtime to counter the change, while the mental sides are a different story. Also explains why it becomes less and less helpful hair wise to some people including me:(

I wish my derm could read this testimony. When I told him I had stopped finasteride, he basically called me crazy. Let's see how it goes this time.

Ashkan63

Reaction score
For me most of side effects started after i finish the second year,i think sides increase dramatically over time while benefits decrease so basically i dont think to stay on finasteride noun stop for a long period is a good idea