Does dying your hair worsen hair loss?

reremedies

Reaction score
Does anyone know the answer to this? I've been using 'Just For Men' for about 6 months now and over the last few months my hair loss has gotten worse despite being on Propecia, Minoxidil 5% (once a day), Revivogen shampoo and conditioner, and Nizoral 3-4 times a week. That is my complete regimen that has worked for the last 3 years or so and now seems to be inadequate.

Also I'm considering a topical leave-in conditioner like crinagen or RU topical, but the cost of all of this is getting pretty overwhelming. Wondering if crinagen will make my scalp greasy, too.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
You're going to hear varied opinions on this one.

"I think" that dying your hair is not the healthiest thing for your existing hair - but that it will not increase your hairloss. Just try to keep the solution off your scalp as much as possible - and treat only the hairs.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
yeah its not going to be good for your hair, and might possibly be bad... but you will get varying opinions on that. Dying ones hair has a tendency to 'fray' the edges of the hair temporarily resulting in cosmetically thicker hair.. such as if you were to fray the edges of a rope.. same thing.

If the dye causes any irritation or itching etc, then obviously its not good :)\

EDIT, just noticed that 'hair tomorrow' posted almost the same thing as me. ha.

Gizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah its not going to be good for your hair, and might possibly be bad... but you will get varying opinions on that. Dying ones hair has a tendency to 'fray' the edges of the hair temporarily resulting in cosmetically thicker hair.. such as if you were to fray the edges of a rope.. same thing.

If the dye causes any irritation or itching etc, then obviously its not good :)\

EDIT, just noticed that 'hair tomorrow' posted almost the same thing as me. ha.

but does it do any permanent damage when used every 3 weeks ?

resu

Reaction score
Look on women, you usually can tell the bimbos that dyed the hair for too long with harsh chemicals.

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
Being bald is the worst, but having grey or white hair is the second worst. It shouts old.

Gizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Look on women, you usually can tell the bimbos that dyed the hair for too long with harsh chemicals.

how can you tell ? what do you see ?

JonnyKid

Reaction score
It depends on what you are using to dye your hair. These dyes that just coat the hair to get rid of gray can actually be good for frizzy hair types like myself. They actually coat the hair. Coating the hair is ok, its the dye that penetrates the root that you should worry about, they contain the harsh chemicals. Also, make sure you don't get the stuff on your scalp. Your hair is pretty much a non issue, its your scalp that you need to keep clean from debris and sebum buildup. I personally put anything on my hair and try and keep my gel and dyes away from my scalp.

Gizmo

Established Member
Reaction score

Gizmo

Established Member
Reaction score

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
False. Hair dye doesn't have any impact on the hair root. Hair itself is dead so who cares you dye it every month.

Gizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
It happened to my wife.

what happened ? she suffered from thin hair, dyed her hair and it made her hair even thinner ?

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
He says her hair got thinner after years and years of dyeing it. Seems to me like that doesn't prove anything. Correlation is no causation. May very well be her hair got thinner as it happens to so many women and accidently she was dyeing it too.
My mom has been dyeing her hair for 20+ years and she has the thickest hair ever. Needs to thin it out every month.
Let's be realistic here: dyeing has no influence on your hair root and will not cause or increase hair loss. Some dyes may not be great for the quality of your hair, but they don't add anything to your existing balding process.