Does diet have ANY say in male pattern baldness / FPB ???

EvilLocks

Reaction score
I often read that green tea lowers DHT, but how does overall diet play into male pattern baldness / FPB ? What is the BEST diet to support hair growth and lower DHT? I have read that cutting out sugars is good, is this true? And does that include ALL sugars, like fruit? Please help guys, I am really desperate to give my hair (what's left that is) the best chance against FPB that it could possibly have. I have started taking some supplements too; Biotion, vitamin B, iron (my iron is on the low side of normal, so it wouldn't hurt to try) and vitamin D (I am slightly low on vitamin D, probably form all the hiding inside because of baldness). So, anyone? Has anyone been able to help growth by changing their diet and including supplements? I'm also taking 100 mg oral spironolactone a day (hasn't helped my hair but helps my skin be less oily) and Rogaine x2 a day which I've been on for more than a year. So far I don't know if I've had results or not. The top of my head looks OK (for now) but the sides and back are really thin (reverse FPH? :geek:) I suspect the top being OK is because that's where I apply minoxidil. But I have no idea!

maher

Banned
Reaction score
This is a taboo subject on HairLossTalk.com.. I cant say if specific diet has any affect on Androgenetic Alopecia, but- imo it can affect scalp/skin health. It definitely differs from person to person. The 1st thing you do is to cut out sugar(except fruit) and dairy. Square of dark chocolate now and then is ok :) You're off dairy, so its important to add calcium supplement. Also, i would recommended to add vit C and E. Vit C plus Ca+D3 are crucial for collagen production.
Where do you go from there is just the matter of experimenting (carb : protein ratio, what oil, fat you use.. ) Smart thing is to keep notes, so you can find pattern when your scalp itch or sebbum is on low..

What I do-is to try to keep my T level healthy and E on low. (D3, fresh orange juice, propolis, nettle tea...)+ other hair vitamines and I force myself to eat green vegetables. I try to eat sardines 2-3x a week, dont like those omega3 sup, they make my skin/scalp extra oily. I try to build my diet around this. Its alot of experimenting...

Green tea? I was drinking 2-3cups a day for like 5,6 months last year..Nothing to report. The only tea that had some positive affect is nettle tea. I have read some great things about Lapacho tea.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
This is a taboo subject on HairLossTalk.com.. I cant say if specific diet has any affect on Androgenetic Alopecia, but- imo it can affect scalp/skin health. It definitely differs from person to person. The 1st thing you do is to cut out sugar(except fruit) and dairy. Square of dark chocolate now and then is ok :) You're off dairy, so its important to add calcium supplement. Also, i would recommended to add vit C and E. Vit C plus Ca+D3 are crucial for collagen production.
Where do you go from there is just the matter of experimenting (carb : protein ratio, what oil, fat you use.. ) Smart thing is to keep notes, so you can find pattern when your scalp itch or sebbum is on low..

What I do-is to try to keep my T level healthy and E on low. (D3, fresh orange juice, propolis, nettle tea...)+ other hair vitamines and I force myself to eat green vegetables. I try to eat sardines 2-3x a week, dont like those omega3 sup, they make my skin/scalp extra oily. I try to build my diet around this. Its alot of experimenting...

Green tea? I was drinking 2-3cups a day for like 5,6 months last year..Nothing to report. The only tea that had some positive affect is nettle tea. I have read some great things about Lapacho tea.

I know that diet is no miracle cure for hair loss but I wondered if making my diet "perfect" would somewhat have a positive effect on my hair. Thanks for your advice :)