Do You Think I Have Telogen Effluvium? Ferritin? Losing Hope | HairLossTalk Forums

Do You Think I Have Telogen Effluvium? Ferritin? Losing Hope

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by flowerlover184, Jun 9, 2018.

1. flowerlover184

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hi there! I am new here, because I unfortunately just started experiencing hair loss. I am 20 years old and have always had great hair, used to get compliments on it daily. That's why this has been especially depressing for me. In the past 3 months, I have lost more than 50% of my hair, and there's no end in sight. I am so frustrated and am at my wits end. I lose hundreds of hairs a day, and cannot even brush my hair or wear it down anymore because it just falls out so excessively. This is extremely disheartening, especially since I'm in school in a sorority and never want to go out with my friends anymore because I am so insecure, or see my boyfriend who happens to have the thickest hair I've ever seen. I have been to multiple doctors but none of them seem concerned at all. I am trying to figure out what is going on with me, so I decided to post on here, and would greatly appreciate any input!!

A few months ago, I had blood work done and found out I was anemic and my ferritin level was 4. Since then, I have been retested and my ferritin was 22 and I am no longer anemic, about a month ago. I have read a lot of posts about ferritin and hair loss, so I'd love to believe that it's that simple and it will stop once my ferritin gets high enough, but I'm worried since it's been 3 months and my hair loss has not slowed down in the slightest. I just recently got blood work done again to test my thyroid and to test for inflammation, both of which came back within normal ranges. Since my doctors don't seem concerned, I have been trying to figure out possible causes by myself. But since thyroid and autoimmune diseases are pretty much ruled out (I think) from my blood test, I don't know what else to look for. I feel like it can't be just patterned baldness, only because I'm so young, and it has been extremely rapid, and no one in my family struggles with hair loss. However, if it sounds like it is please let me know!

Sorry for the length of this post but I really appreciate anyone who is reading it and can offer me any help. Thanks<3