Do hair pieces stay on?

Cowboy

Reaction score
How does a hair piece/wig go on?

Does it glue down somehow?

Do they need to be taken off before bed?

How well do they stay on?

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes you would buy a waterproof transparent glue from the guys who sell you the hair. You put a very thin layer of it on your scalp then let it dry until its tacky. Then you lay the hairpiece onto it and press it in with a comb, or you can tack it down a little at a time while stretching it for a skin tight fit (which is what I do) and it wont come off in winds, rain, swimming, etc like people think they do.

Yes you can wear it to bed, I wear mine for a week to ten days before taking it off to clean and put new glue on.

The only people I even encountered in the forums who`ve had their come off where people who were using the wrong type of glue and had it on for way to long like over 2 weeks without changing to new glue.
They also put it on wrong.
If done correctly it wont come off unless you go to a hockey game, jump on the ice and start swinging.....

Rugman

Reaction score
I don't use glue on mine. I use tape. You put the tape (double-sided hairpiece tape) on the base of the piece, and then just stick it on your head. I don't sleep in mine. I take it off every night. It doesn't come off. If its windy, you want to be sure your tape is fresh! Well, actually mine came off twice, both times in the ocean, when I didn't use enough tape or enough caution!

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thats one reason I dont use tape anymore. You can see and feel tape, and it wont hold as good as glue (the right glue)

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
There is no ONE GLUE that is best. I wish there was.

There are a slew of different glues and bonding agents out there and they are all good for one or the other guy. BUT they all act differently on different heads. It all comes down to your own personal chemical balance and types and amounts of oils you secrete.

Ultra Hold is great on some heads, I use it on many. On some it ozzes and causes a mess. You need to try different ones unitll you find the one that works and holds the longest on YOUR head.

I would buy the smallest container of any NEW adhesive and try it out, before investing in a larger, but less expensive per ounce container. Please READ and Follow the instructions on each new product. Make sure you purchase the proper adhesive remover and obtain full instructions on application and clean up. Let the company know when you order, that you have not used the product before and need FULL instructions. Read the instructions and read them again.

I've been at this daily for years and am supposedly a proffessioal... I still read the instructions several times with each new product. But possibly you know better.