Dizziness while on Rogaine

rcom440

Reaction score
I think Im overdosing it. Yesterday and Today I'm experiencing dizziness. Should I decrease dosage today. I'm applying Rogaine only at night..
How much should I apply?
I think I went crazy with dosage last few days. I mean the solution was dripping over my forehead. I'm on Rogain only 8 days, before I was using scalp med which is also 5%.
please help

SE-freak

Reaction score
Do you experience heart pulpitations? I think you have already identified the answer to this. Do not overdo it, 1ml is something like 6 squirts only. No need to dive into the stuff, a part of it will go into your bloodstream and this is practically heart medicine. 1ml twice per day. Stick to it.

rcom440

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Do you experience heart pulpitations? I think you have already identified the answer to this. Do not overdo it, 1ml is something like 6 squirts only. No need to dive into the stuff, a part of it will go into your bloodstream and this is practically heart medicine. 1ml twice per day. Stick to it.
Hi,
No, heart pulpitations so far but I feel so dizzy! It started last evening and today i'm like damn, i feel like i'm drunk! I think I overdose it big time. Tonight I will apply only a little bit on my hair line (2 squirts) and top (1 squirt)... hopefully tomorrow I will be able to drive to work.
Do you think I should skip one day to get the minoxidil. from my system or should I apply a little bit tonight?
thanks for your answer.

SE-freak

Reaction score
No, do not skip any app. Make sure that you keep an eye on your body, any swelling or bloating (water retention) could be due to minoxidil overabsorbtion. One important note: Our mind plays tricks. I am not implying you are imagining things but it is common that people having read about side-effects before starting treatments project them.

Do not use minoxidil on a wet scalp and do not use your fingernails to rub your scalp while applying it for starters. Let's see how this goes.

rcom440

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
No, do not skip any app. Make sure that you keep an eye on your body, any swelling or bloating (water retention) could be due to minoxidil overabsorbtion. One important note: Our mind plays tricks. I am not implying you are imagining things but it is common that people having read about side-effects before starting treatments project them.

Do not use minoxidil on a wet scalp and do not use your fingernails to rub your scalp while applying it for starters. Let's see how this goes.

thanks for the answer. No I'm not imagining lol.. I know that's the case with some people.
I can barely walk straight today. Before I was using scalp med and I didnt have any problems but after I bought Rogaine I think I sort of over did it. I will definitely decrease the dosage.

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
SE, by "heart pulpitations" do you mean irregular heartbeat or increased bpm? Because I noticed that my heart beats faster when I used to use minoxidil; its part of the reason why I stopped.

rcom440

Reaction score
monitoradiation said:
SE, by "heart pulpitations" do you mean irregular heartbeat or increased bpm? Because I noticed that my heart beats faster when I used to use minoxidil; its part of the reason why I stopped.

Maybe you overdosed minoxidil? That's what happen when minoxidil get to the blood, it can affect heartbeat.. In my case, at the moment, I'm experiencing dizziness. I'm using minoxidil only at night but lately I've been using way too much. Tonight I'm planing to apply only 1ml or less.
I'm still dizzy but I think I'm not as dizzy as I was in the morning. I'm wondering how much this dizziness will last.

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Maybe I washed my hair before and didn't wait for it to dry. But I was only using the 2% Rogaine liquid, didn't think it was THAT potent. Maybe I need to work on my cardio T_T

Plus I always measured it to 1 mL on the dropper...

rcom440

Reaction score
monitoradiation said:
Hmmm... Maybe I washed my hair before and didn't wait for it to dry. But I was only using the 2% Rogaine liquid, didn't think it was THAT potent. Maybe I need to work on my cardio T_T

Plus I always measured it to 1 mL on the dropper...

you were applying on wet skin? Probably thats why..

SE-freak

Reaction score
Yes, wet skin is more permeable.Start applying on dry skin and see how you take it. By "heart pulpitations" I meant irregular heartbeat and higher bpm. When I overdid it that was the case, but there is a reason why there is a recommended dosage. Every topical will get into the bloodstream to some extent (nicotine patches!). But in our case that has to be minimal, we are talking about heart drugs here, so do not dive into the stuff- we all want our hair back, just use common sense.

rcom440

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Yes, wet skin is more permeable.Start applying on dry skin and see how you take it. By "heart pulpitations" I meant irregular heartbeat and higher bpm. When I overdid it that was the case, but there is a reason why there is a recommended dosage. Every topical will get into the bloodstream to some extent (nicotine patches!). But in our case that has to be minimal, we are talking about heart drugs here, so do not dive into the stuff- we all want our hair back, just use common sense.

I'm about to apply Rogaine before I go to bed. I'm still dizzy but not as dizzy as I was in the morning. This time I will do 1 ml or less.
No heart pulpitations in my case, just dizziness. I felt like I was drunk (without the fun factor or course). I'm still dizzy a little bit.
Hopefully this will stop tomorrow, however, I'm applying Rogaine tonight any way. We'll see how it goes.

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm. So by that logic I shouldn't even attempt anything higher than 2% minoxidil in the Brandnamed Rogaine; I applied 1mL measured as per the dropper. Wouldn't applying, say the Kirkland 5% be more than twice the potency?

rcom440

Reaction score
hi,
Just woke up.. Still dizzy a bit.. I'm dizzy when I shake my head or when I walk - impact with ground when I walk. I'm not as dizzy as yesterday morning. Do you think it will go away? Maybe there is still a little bit or minoxidil in my blood.
I didnt have this problem when I was on scalp med.
What should I do? Kirkland?

ali777

Reaction score
monitoradiation said:

A little bit of both... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palpitation

I get heart palpitations when I don't smoke for a long time, when I have a strong coffee, when I'm stressed, etc... I don't want to give you the impression that I have random palpitations 10 times a day, but I get them once in a while and I can feel them. I think everyone gets them, you just don't know what you are experiencing.

I have to say that I've never had palpitations as a result of minoxidil.

rcom440

Reaction score
I'm still dizzy :( I think it lowered my blood pressure. I feel weak. When I was using scalp med I didn't have this problem but scalp med comes in 2 bottles - Vitadil® 5a (which is 5% minoxidil) and NutriSol-RM (which is Vital Nutrients). I used to mix those two bottles put them in one large bottles and use it like that. Does that mean that 5% mixed with that other solution is less strong? In this case I mixed those two bottles so that would give 2.5 minoxidil? Is that correct?
I guess that 5%minoxidil Rogaine is too strong for me, so what I just did I mixed 5%minoxidil Rogaine with pure water, 45% water and 55% Rogaine.. That means there will be 2.6% minoxidil ?
I will use it tonight and see if the dizziness will stop..
What do you all think????
thanks guys.

SE-freak

Reaction score
I do not like playing doctor, but while driving to work today, I was thinking of the same thing. You might have hypotasis by default so a slight decrease by minoxidil absorption might get you dizzy. Anyhow, lower the dose to an amount you can handle and please, please, do not drive if you think you are still feeling dizzy. If you think you cannot handle minoxidil, drop it.

rcom440

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
I do not like playing doctor, but while driving to work today, I was thinking of the same thing. You might have hypotasis by default so a slight decrease by minoxidil absorption might get you dizzy. Anyhow, lower the dose to an amount you can handle and please, please, do not drive if you think you are still feeling dizzy. If you think you cannot handle minoxidil, drop it.

Hi SE-freak, thank you for all your help. I appreciate it!
It's interesting because I was using Scalp Med for almost 2 years, no dizziness, no side effects. Then when I switched to Rogaine.... boom.. I feel dizzy! Actually, it took a few days.
Like I said above, I mixed Rogaine with water and I will apply it tonight and see how it goes. What do you think about mixing Rogaine with water, around 50% Rogaine and 50% water. Do you think that will give me 2.5% minoxidil?

SE-freak

Reaction score
Not so sure it works that way. The liquid must be a vehicle capable of delivering minoxidil to the target. Adding water is quite unpredictable.

I think you should play with dosage, not by dilluting the solution but by simply using less. If minoxidil is getting you in trouble, then either way you will have to lower your dose- so do it without altering the topical and play safe.

rcom440

Reaction score
There is water in Rogaine Extra Strength (5% minoxidil.)
Ingredient of Rogaine: Minoxidil 5% w/v.,Alcohol 30% v/v, Propylene Glycol 50% v/v, and Purified Water.
That means Minoxidil, Alcohol and Propylene Glycol all together is 85% of solution, and purified Water is 15%. So if you add more % of water, the percentage of Minoxidil, Propylene Glycol and Alcohol will be lower.