Diffuse thinning (really badly) at 25. Can a hair piece save me?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm recently turned 25 and have rapidly thinning hair (diffuse) and a pretty much wrecked hairline, with hair falling out considerably at the front of my head, especially in the centre. Not a good prognosis.

I am really considering a hair piece but don't know whether it would work for me given my thinning hair and the way in which it changes from wet to dry etc.

I made a post on the general discussion just now: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...th-s-door-(diffuse)-Could-do-with-some-advice but wanted to make sure you guys caught sight of it as I'd love to hear your take on whether you think a hair piece might work for me?

Thanks,

2tite2014

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you diffuse thinning over your entire head or just the top of your head? If your side/back hair aren't thinning then you could just get a "topper". If ALL of your hair is thinning, then you can get a full cap system. From the thread you posted, I agree with kirk in that if you're doing well on finasteride/dutasteride + minoxidil, give it time to show results. I don't agree with kirk that you should look into hair transplants because if you're balding aggressively then it won't give you back what you want. If anything, a hair transplant should be an absolute LAST resort because while they can work for a lot of people, just as many people get their scalps essentially destroyed.So my advice is this - give the finasteride/dutasteride more time. If you find that they're simply not helping, then rest assured that hair systems are absolutely a viable plan B, even though they tend to get less attention on these hairloss forums than drugs/surgery. Research everything you can about hair systems. Northwest Lace and Toplace have great forums with tons of guys talking about their experiences, giving advice, etc. I've spent more time researching hair systems than I care to admit and from all the stories I've read, hair systems have completely changed a lot of guy's lives.

Noah

Reaction score
Your hairloss is very similar to mine before I started with hair replacement. Cosmetically a hairpiece absolutely will work for you. For, say, $350 you can get a fine lace piece with a good cut-in, and provided you are careful in applying it and you change it every 4 months or so, I guarantee you no one will be able to tell you have done anything, even in situations like cardio, swimming, sex etc. Your current look is such that provided you do something soon you can make the change before anyone knows you are seriously balding. You may be able to get away with just a partial piece to replace the first few inches, although there are pros and cons to that (which I can elaborate on if you are interested).

That's cosmetically. Then there is psychologically. No matter how good they look, hairpieces don't work for everyone, and the usual reason is psychological. You are wearing a prosthetic which, unlike dentures, is fully on display all the time. Even though it is undetectable, you know it is there, and that is enough to bother some people. Also, while you can happily date people long term and keep the hair a secret, one day you will probably settle down with a permanent partner, and realistically you have to tell them. For some people that thought of telling another person that they wear a piece and wondering what their reaction will be is just too stressful, and they prefer to be bald and honest. So perhaps you need a certain mental toughness. I worried about that when I was starting out, but my experience was that I was so buoyed up by getting my hair back that the psychology wasn't the problem I thought it would be.

The bottom line is you won't know till you've tried it, and you have nothing to lose but the cost of the piece and the cut-in, so I would really recommend you to try it.

noah

2tite2014

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice that you mentioned getting a bit of gyno. If you truly are getting gyno, then consider dropping the drugs and getting a hair system. Unless getting gyno doesn't bother you of course or you're willing to take the risk.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2tite2014 and Noah's comments are sound. Its better to try early before its more noticeable. You need to determine if you need a topper or partial and give it a try. As said, read, research, read, research. A hair system is much more preferrable than a hair transplant at this stage. You can also vary the density to start.

2tite2014

Established Member
Reaction score
To kind of comment on Noah's comment -I haven't tried a hair system yet, but I'm in the process of trying it out, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I will say that I've mentioned trying a piece to a number of friends and family members. Their first reaction is always the same. I get that "...seriously?" look, or "oh god no don't do that".Then I show them before/after pictures from places like Northwest Lace and their opinions ALWAYS do a 180 degree turn. "Holy crap it looks so real", "wow yeah you should try it", "how does it look so real??".I've spent a ton of time reading forums on people's experiences with wearing hair systems. Guys who date a girl who doesn't know at first, then the guy confesses, and she doesn't care. Some guys who met their significant others with very thin hair and their significant others actually encourage and help them through the process of wearing hair.I think almost all of the stigma that comes with wearing hair is that the vast majority of people aren't aware of how good hair pieces these days actually are. People think "hair piece" and immediately think of Donald Trump rug. If you put in the work and effort to get it right, people won't notice you're wearing hair, and if they do find out, they won't care as much as you think they do and may actually encourage you to keep wearing.

Drake013

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm recently turned 25 and have rapidly thinning hair (diffuse) and a pretty much wrecked hairline, with hair falling out considerably at the front of my head, especially in the centre. Not a good prognosis.

I am really considering a hair piece but don't know whether it would work for me given my thinning hair and the way in which it changes from wet to dry etc.

I made a post on the general discussion just now: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...th-s-door-(diffuse)-Could-do-with-some-advice but wanted to make sure you guys caught sight of it as I'd love to hear your take on whether you think a hair piece might work for me?

Thanks,
Bro I think you will be fine with finasteride and minoxidil for your twenties and half of your thirties. Stick to the medicine and see what happens in the next years