difference between minoxidil brands??

jeffsss

Reaction score
i see different types of people saying they use.. dr. lees rogaine... walmart minoxidil, minoxidil with retin-a.. etc..

what the hell is the difference..??

i just starting using rogaine brand 5% for temples n hair line.. is that okay? or is there better stuff>?

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Lee's Xandrox5 for the AM application, and Rogaine for PM application. Lee's has no PPG, which leaves the hair less greasy. Lee's also has glycerin in it, which has a slight hair thickening effect.

Chemically, there is no difference among Rogaine and the other OTC generics. Lee's is specially compounded; you will need a "consultation" in order to get his brand.

I see nothing wrong with your strategy of hair line and temples.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Weepy said:
Chemically, there is no difference among Rogaine and the other OTC generics. Lee's is specially compounded; you will need a "consultation" in order to get his brand.

This is why I stay away for Dr Lee. The guy is clearly out there just to bilk people. Requiring a consultation, for a fee, to purchase a product that has the same active ingredients as and OTC medication.

Stick with the generics or try Gen Hair if you want PPG free stuff.

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought some Equate brand minoxidil at Wal-Mart.

It is the extra strength 5% and it was.......$12.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a 1 month supply!

This brand has been well reviewed before and for 12 freakin' bucks!!!!

I am a Wal-Mart man now!

Joe.

doubleplay

Established Member
Reaction score
westcovinajoe said:

For a 1 month supply!

I am a Wal-Mart man now!

Joe.

lol. well i guess you didnt look to the right of it where you can get their 3 months supply for $18.47 hehe

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
doubleplay said:
westcovinajoe said:

For a 1 month supply!

I am a Wal-Mart man now!

Joe.

lol. well i guess you didnt look to the right of it where you can get their 3 months supply for $18.47 hehe

They were out at the time of the 3 month he he....

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jeffs,
there is some confusion among these posts.

Dr. Lee's #500 has less ppg (not glycerine). It dries super fast (in 2 minutes).
his ppg free glycerine products don't dry at all.
He has a wide range of products for minoxidil.
The 20$ I paid for consulation was worth the money. Also, I would be skeptical of any site selling prescription products without prescriptions (like genhair).
Rogaine is FDA approved only a specific combination of alcohol and ppg content.
As Dr. Lee sells his products on a different combination, his products are prescription products.

Inch

Reaction score
Dr. Lee

I ordered the 5% minoxidil a few months ago, didn't need a consultation and I'm in Canada.

jc444

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered Dr Lees 5% xandrox and did not require a consultation as I am not in the USA. Received the package in good time and so far am very optimistic with my progress although after only 1 month its too early to tell.

Techprof pointed out why you require a consultation to receive Dr Lees stuff. To me this is very reassuring because it means this guy is actually by the book and giving us legit hairloss solutions.

As for xandrox, apparently it can have better results on the temple and hairline, but from reading feedback here i dont think it is seems to be much different from any minoxidil formula. So i think all the brands will give similar performance (as long as it is genuinely minoxidil) so i guess its what you tolerate the best. Xandrox is definitely less greasy than rogaine and i much prefer that, its definitely a good minoxidil product, however if i were in the states and on a budget i would at least try out the walmart option described above, wow thats cheap!