Difference between hair wax and putty?

starlitedemon67

Reaction score
I typically use hair putty for my hair, but I have heard a lot of positive reviews about hair wax and wanted to know what the difference is between the two.

masculineyourheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, if I HAD THE HAIR TO DO IT, I'd go back to using putty. It's easier on the follicles, I always found I had to beat the hell out of my hair to get the wax in but putty goes in nicely and leaves a lot more subtle texture to wax. Both have the effect of giving a groovy bed head but wax goes a bit far if you... f*ck it, just use google.

Ya mongrel.

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
In general, waxes tend to hold better; however, they are usually harder to wash out as well. If you're interested in a wax, I would try to find something water-based as those wash out very easily.

starlitedemon67

Reaction score
I know Garnier sells a water-based wax, but the putty that I use which is also manufactured by garnier says that the hold on the putty is stronger (strong vs. ultra strong).

I also want to give my hair a little shine; will wax do the trick?

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
What I said about wax vs. putty is just a generalization. You can't totally judge a product based on how it's classified (wax, putty, pomade, clay, etc). You'll find that what one company calls a wax, other companies call a pomade. For example, Redken make a product called Water Wax. That product is more a pomade than anything else and it will definitely give your hair shine (too much in my opinion but everyone is different). I also don't think Water Wax holds like a wax - it's much weaker. I've seen other products that were classified as clay when they're more like creams in consistency. Waxes are usually very thick and difficult to scoop out and apply to your hair.

Unfortunately, you really have to try a product to see if it's right for you; however, most products will say right on the container whether they give your hair shine or natural shine. You definitely do not want anything that says "matte" or "dull" - those do not give you shine.

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
starlitedemon67 said:
Just how difficult is it to distribute and shape your hair with wax?

The thicker the product is, the more difficult to distribute and shape your hair; however, that also means the hold is better too so consider that as well. Thicker products tend to thicken up your hair and holder better - thinner products are the opposite.

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
Not really. I ususally just scoop out a small amount, spread it evenly in my hands and then apply it to my hair. It's best to start out with just a little bit of product and then add more as needed. There's really no science to it - just find the product that works best with your hair and experiement with different things (applying to wet hair, dry hair, etc.). For me personally, I always apply my styling products to my hair when it's dry but your hair may respond better if it's damp or slightly damp. It really is trial and error - you should see the box of useless hair products I've tried. What an amazing waste of money.