Did Proscar (Finasteride) stunt my growth?

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I guess anything is possible!

At 25yrs (when I first started taking Finasteride) I was 5'11. I never bothered to measure myself since I figure there is no way I could grow any more... I just measured myself again and I came out a solid 6' even.

Anyhow, who knows... Maybe you'll pick up 1 or 2 more inches yet! I heard Denis Rodman was kinda short until his 20s (short by NBA standards).

wasa

Reaction score
socks said:
I guess anything is possible!

At 25yrs (when I first started taking Finasteride) I was 5'11. I never bothered to measure myself since I figure there is no way I could grow any more... I just measured myself again and I came out a solid 6' even.

Anyhow, who knows... Maybe you'll pick up 1 or 2 more inches yet! I heard Denis Rodman was kinda short until his 20s (short by NBA standards).

that's hopeful socks, that you grew another inch beyond age 25. How old are you now btw?

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
wasa said:
I'm now 171cm (5'7.5)and I realise I could 've been quite taller. It really hurts, my brother is 5'11 btw.

I can't speak to the hypothesis, but I will suggest that the grass is always greener. I'm 6'2"+, but I'd kill to be 5'5.7". Hell, I'd mutilate to be 5'11" even. I hate being tall. I just wanna blend into the crowd.

The Bald Beach Boy

Reaction score
I have never read anything about finasteride stunting growth so I doubt it is possible. Are you assuming you should be taller because there is a slight difference between your final height and your brothers?
Brothers don't always end up the same height.
My brother is slightly over 6ft, I'm a little under 5ft 4ins but I blame nothing other than erm.... you have me thinking now! It's not finasteride anyway I can assure you.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"I can't speak to the hypothesis, but I will suggest that the grass is always greener. I'm 6'2"+, but I'd kill to be 5'5.7". Hell, I'd mutilate to be 5'11" even. I hate being tall. I just wanna blend into the crowd."
That was a weird statement. 6'2" isn't even that tall. The avergae man is 5'10"?

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
Johnny24601 said:
"I can't speak to the hypothesis, but I will suggest that the grass is always greener. I'm 6'2"+, but I'd kill to be 5'5.7". Hell, I'd mutilate to be 5'11" even. I hate being tall. I just wanna blend into the crowd."
That was a weird statement. 6'2" isn't even that tall. The avergae man is 5'10"?

I'm a weird guy, what can I say? But most of my friends are around 5'7" at best, so I tend to tower over them.

Since Propecia does block DHT, and DHT is needed to promote primary and secondary characteristics, I'm wondering if growth could indeed be affected? I don't know if sketal growth falls into this influence, but it's a thought.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Yes, Propecia stunts your growth. It even makes your wiener fall off.

Come on, guys. Propecia has no factor in bone density, bone growth, stunting growth, etc.

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Yes, Propecia stunts your growth. It even makes your wiener fall off..

Mind if I cross-post this to some transsexual lists?

Aplunk1 said:
Come on, guys. Propecia has no factor in bone density, bone growth, stunting growth, etc.

Why not? A lack of DHT does inhibit masculinization during puberty and when in the womb. I believe that men with... what is it... AIS? Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome?... who grow up to be women, end up in normal female heights ranges.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're really concerned about it, go look up info about the psuedo hermaphrodites: the men who were born without the ability to create the type 2 5ar enzyme, and thus don't suffer hair loss and don't develop male genitals.

BTW i'm 5'7 and a half inch as well and all I can say is just deal with it. It's never been a big deal to me, because I never let it affect me. but once it becomes a big deal to you, everybody else notices it.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
this is interesting to me since i started taking finasteride. at age 19. I'm only like 5'7.

Anyone have any other comments about this? Bryan??

powersam

Reaction score
19 is very young to start propecia, how is your hair at the moment? its generally accepted that males stop growing around 24 so dont start taking it till then if you dont want to take any chances with your height. but as to whether it has any effect on your growth i have no idea.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
wasa said:
silkeysmooth said:
If you're really concerned about it, go look up info about the psuedo hermaphrodites: the men who were born without the ability to create the type 2 5ar enzyme, and thus don't suffer hair loss and don't develop male genitals.

BTW i'm 5'7 and a half inch as well and all I can say is just deal with it. It's never been a big deal to me, because I never let it affect me. but once it becomes a big deal to you, everybody else notices it.

please check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testosterone and tell me what you think about this. it seems that on the one side you got testosterone/dht and on the other estradiol which is a byproduct of testosterone. From what i read it looks like they should work together, meaning that testosterone (and especially DHT, since it's 2.5x more potent/effective then testosterone) stimulates muscle & height increase while estradiol thickens bone and closes the growth plates. So now i think by blocking DHT you're kinda screwing with the interaction, and as a result you get closure of the epiphysial plate. On a sidenote, why else is it not advisable to take proscar before the age of 18?

I should have known better then to screw with my hormones..but the doctors are really the ones to blame i guess...

I think that site confirms nothing one way or the other. Think about this though:everything I've looked for on the subject of male pseudohermaphroditism in relation to height has yielded no information, let alone correlation. If there were in fact any negative effects on height growth, I would assume (for argument's sake) that there would have been some mention of the discovery.

If the lack of ability to produce type 2 5AR does not constitute significant growth inhibition, why would it stand to reason that taking finasteride would affect your own growth to any noticeable degree?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I was about 5'9 when I started Propecia daily. Since then, I've gained upwards about 1 inch, if not a bit more.

My older and younger brothers are still both taller than me, however.

As far as taking L-Arginine, 2 Grams, on an empty stomache, has some HGH in it... Could this be helping me grow a bit?

I feel like I'm still growing.