did propecia help the itch?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Did starting propecia help anyone with getting rid of that itch? Is it stupid to take propecia to help with that since nothing else helps?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
99% disappeared. Went off finasteride for almost two months, it had started to come back and was itching bad. Started finasteride again and it went away.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah same here. What is the itch anyway? The dermatologist told me it was male pattern baldness related but it happens in the places I lose hair.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So how come it doesn't happen to everyone who loses hair?

By the way, I meant to say the dermatologist said is WASN'T male pattern baldness related. I told him it happens in the thinning spot but he said there's no correlation. I knew he was wrong but what can you do?

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Did starting propecia help anyone with getting rid of that itch? Is it stupid to take propecia to help with that since nothing else helps?

Oh yes, that it did.

Mind you so does head and shoulders, I'm one of those lucky people who suffer from seb derm as well, you're only a hardcore keto user when you've rubbed the stuff round your nose (works a treat though).

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had in insanely bad itch in my crown for months before starting on finasteride. Honestly, the itch was worse than the prospect of losing my hair!

finasteride fixed the itch probably 95% by month 1. I still have very slight itching from time to time, but it's barely noticeable.

If you have a bad itch, it can be extremely miserable. As long as you tolerate finasteride well, I think it's a great treatment option.

Unfortunately most anti-itch shampoos and topical meds only fix skin problems such as fungal issues. The itch you feel, as finfighter said, is inflammation of your hair folicles. These shampoos to little to nothing to treat that.. so you need to treat the DHT problem.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
so basically those of us with male pattern baldness just have a sensitivity to dht that makes it worse then? Do those with this problem lose it faster or at the same rate?

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the itch doesn't indicate anything. I'm not sure why some guys get it and some don't. You would think it might indicate you have aggressive hair loss, but mine was quite slow moving, and took about 5 years to go from a NW2 to a NW3. The itch just got worse over time, and in the last year for me, it was by far the worst.

All guys with male pattern baldness have a sensitivity to DHT. Whatever the mechanism is, our hair follicles decide to start shrinking from DHT. Guys without male pattern baldness (damn them) don't react the same to it.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Yeah, there is no scientifically documented reason for the male pattern baldness itch. It's very anecdotal...sometimes it might be related to male pattern baldness, sometimes it might not. It also varies so much in intensity/frequency that it's hard to document. I would take a guess that only 30-40% of guys with male pattern baldness get the itch. Most don't seem to have it.

My "itching" started in 2008, the same year I started losing some hair, and I didn't realize it until winter of 08-09. It kind of stopped for a while, though I knew i had lost some density, then as 2010 approached it started getting worse and worse. Spring of 2010 was terrible for me, the itching on my head at night was so bad I would wake up scratching it. I started finasteride and it decreased within the first month, then seemed to go away completely by the third month.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have had the itch for two years now and the loss has been slow but now I'm on propecia and we'll see how it goes as I'm on my fourth month. Anymore at Uni I see more guys balding than not. I never realized how many guys were losing it until I was myself. Out of my friends who are losing it, I'm the only one with an itch but their hair is going faster.

abcdefg

Reaction score
According to all the derms I have seen the itch is not associated with male pattern baldness at all but I have tried tons of shampoos like nizoral some prescription ones even for seb derm which I think I do have. I tried saw palmetto which is not proven or anything but it made the itch go away and I want to use proven treatments instead so I just wonder if propecia would make this itch go away but it seems stupid to think that when doctors say no.

abcdefg

Reaction score
How many guys where their head itches a lot maybe with seb derm do not have any hair loss at all like teenage hair lines at 40? It seems like they are related somehow since every guy with that itch loses some hair along with it and in many cases has male pattern baldness. I dont know if this white crap all over my head is from male pattern baldness or is just completely separate but where I get the white stuff and my head starts itching my hair is thinning out there and the very front is starting to go. A doctor would look at me and say my is fine since its going very slowly maybe a mature hair line but I dont want one.
Maybe need to try propecia if I can get a doctor to think I actually have male pattern baldness and I need proscar since I am not rich and cant pay 60 a month on top of everything else. I just worry about messing up my testosterone,dht, and estrogen levels does not sound like a good idea to me especially for many years.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
All I can say is Propecia did in fact stop it for me. I started using Propecia the same day I put a new shower filter in to filter out chemicals in city water. At first I thought it must be the shower filter getting rid of the itch but when I visit my Dad now his water has no effect on my scalp either. The itch was constant torture, and you're afraid to scratch because it might make you lose more hair. I am so relieved it's gone.

My temples have either receded or matured, I'm not sure which one. Dude to the fact that they are the same they were 2 years ago I'd say it's just matured. Maybe a little of both.

Heinrich

Reaction score
Yes, for me it stopped itching completely!

abcdefg

Reaction score
What causes that itch? Because I have been getting it lately on my very front hair line but I have a teenage hair line still so I guess I am getting a mature hair line but its really itchy and I have miniaturizing hairs there. In my case that inflammation or itch or whatever it is definitely plays a role. I just wish I knew what exactly it is what causes it.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes it stopped my itch completely within a month (along with my hairloss), the itch going is something I report to my Doctor as reason alone to stay on the drug!

abcdefg

Reaction score
Hmm. It seems very costly and risky to use propecia on the off chance it helps the itch and a doctor would probably tell me I have plenty of hair dont worry about it. I do not like the idea of propecia, but nothing else like nizoral and tons of other junk has helped at all.

Mircalegro

Established Member
Reaction score
to add my 2 cents, it definitely stopped my itch. i still feel something every now and again, but even when its there (which isnt often) it is a very soft whisper compared to what it was before.

i have aggressive male pattern baldness and my itch was absolutely unbearable, and no doubt coincided with lots of shedding.

im shedding now (about 5 months in) but my scalp is in great health, and im hopeful that this is a "good" shed and that good things will follow (fingers crossed!)