1. July 4: Several new color themes available. Click "Default Theme" button at bottom of page to select. (dismiss this with "x")
    Dismiss Notice

DHT Blocking Shampoos

Discussion in 'Men's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by TheEscapist, Aug 19, 2011.

1. TheEscapist

TheEscapist Member

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone have experience with these? Positive or negative

2. ripple-effect

ripple-effect Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, they help but won't stop the problem by itself. I've used Revivogen, Revita, & Nizoral & have had the most benefit from Nizoral and/or Revita.

Revita
    61ovKphUJjL._SL1500_.jpg

So many more beneficial ingredients included in Revita along with Keto

Ingredients: Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Coco Glucoside, Caffeine, Pyrus Malus Seed Extract (Apple), Aspalathus Linearis (Rooibos/Red Tea) Leaf Extract (Roobios), Apple Polyphenol (Procyanidin B-2), Ketoconazole, Hydorlyzed Wheat Protein, Carnitine HCl, Ornitine HCl, Acetyl Cysteine, Dimethyl Sulfone (Methylsulfonyl Methane), Taurine, Emu Oil, Biotin (Vitamin H), Copper Peptides, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice (Spray Dried), Glycereth 7, Glycerin, Oleanolic Acid, Polyquaternium 10, Glycol Stearate, Menthyl Lactate (Menthol Derivative), EUK-134 (SOD Mimic/Spin Trap), PEG 150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, PEG 6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Menthol, Zinc PCA, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Tetrasodium EDTA, Red 40 Lake (CI 16035), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090).

3. hairhoper

hairhoper Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Won't stop hairloss.

4. The Natural

The Natural Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have used Revivogen's and Shen Min's in the past. Revivogen's smells better, but I think Shen Min's is just as effective for a 1/5 the price.

5. TheEscapist

TheEscapist Member

Dislikes Received:
    If it doesn't stop hairloss, what does it do?

6. anxious1

anxious1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    DHT arrives at the hair follicle from the blood. not topically. All shampoo can do is block the DHT that makes it into the sebum.

topicals can work, but usually they need a transporter like a liposome. and i doubt shampoos have them.

7. ripple-effect

Dislikes Received:
    The most you can expect out of a good hair loss shampoo is to slow the hair loss process down by removing scalp DHT. They are a good compliment to any hair loss treatment protocol. Usually they are better and have more quality than most shampoos you buy in the store anyway.

Is this the shampoo you're using?
    Shen Min Vitalize Shampoo

Ingredients list:
    Water, sodium laureth sulfate (sls), aloe barbadensis leaf juice, disodium cocoamphodiacetate, lauryl glucoside, sodium PEG7 olive oil carboxylate, dimethyl sulfone (msm), glycerin, hydrolyzed wheat protein, oat kernal extract, rosemary oil, potassium chloride, PEG 400, sodium citrate, citric acid, diazolidinyl urea and iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, and fragrance.

Seems like a decent alternative to Revivogen shampoo because it has aloe & rosemary, but it also has SLS. I would pick Revivogen shampoo just because it has more ingredients to combat hair loss and has no SLS, but if it is working out for you then stick with it.

8. The Natural

The Natural Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I like it. But I am not partial to any one shampoo now.

By the way, it is stated that Sodium Laureth Sulfate - SLES (contained in Shen Min's shampoo) should be differentiated from the harsher, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - SLS.

I can tell you that Shen Min's does not lather up as much as other shampoos that I use.

9. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, the blood doesn't have much to do with the "arrival" of DHT at the hair follicle. DHT is mostly generated inside hair follicle cells themselves, by the action of 5a-reductase on testosterone, which does enter the cells. That's why DHT isn't considered to be much of an endocrine hormone (one that travels large distances through the blood to various body locations), but mostly a paracrine or autocrine hormone (one that's physically produced where it's actually needed and used).

10. anxious1

anxious1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    yes thats right sry.

Testosterone travels through the blood, and is synthesied into DHT at the follicle.

still think it should be called an endocrine hormone though. Dont think all of its interactions are paracrine, or autocrine.

11. ripple-effect

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, they are not the same thing, it's correct abbrev. is SLES not SLS, but it is related to SLS. It is not as irritating as SLS, but it can also have ill effects to the hair and body. SLES is absorbed into the body upon skin contact and is not metabolized by the liver well requiring more energy to get rid of it. It can also drop male fertility. This is why the shampoo's you find with SLES or SLS are so cheap because they use a cheap detergent.

Read more here: http://www.natural-health-information-c ... lfate.html

12. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    No less an authority than Dr. Proctor has said that the presence of SLS in shampoo is not harmful to hair. He says that when that silliness started a few years ago, it was just a marketing scam: "Hey, use our shampoo instead! It doesn't have any of that nasty SLS!" :)

13. LooseItAll

LooseItAll Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think such shampoos can be very effective but have to be used everyday.

14. The Natural

The Natural Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well, what I have found to be more effective that any dandruff shampoo is curcumin and resveratrol, taken internally. I haven't used/needed a dandruff shampoo (e.g T-gel, Head & Shoulders) in over three years.

15. Jacob

Jacob Senior Member

Dislikes Received:

Dr Proctor makes up all kinds of crap. "Hey, mine grows more hair than any other agent! Buy mine!"

16. Jacob

Jacob Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.jle.com/en/revues/medecine/ejd/e-docs/00/01/88/59/article.md

17. Petchsky

Petchsky Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can't quite get over my skeptism that the DHT blocking shampoos are just a gimmick, is there any proof something which is on the head a short period of time is effective?

18. LooseItAll

LooseItAll Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well there are Nizoral studies. The idea is that the shampoo is being left on a wet scalp so it absorbs a lot quicker than minox that is usually being applied on a dry scalp.

19. Boomer01

Boomer01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would try the Revivogen shampoo.

20. Boomer01

Boomer01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    You two and your Dr. Proctor arguments. LOL!