DHEA the testosterone cycle and the adrenal Galnds

2tone

Reaction score
There is a general disclaimer to lack of knowledge thena broad acceptance the DHEA and other products from the Adrenal Glands is effective in changing the hair pattern growth of a female .. yet the assumption that the Adrenals should also modulate the male side of hair pattern growth has been conspicuously ignored .

It is often under conditions of a certain mix of hormonal products such as DHEA and cortico steroids under which hair growth patterns are altered .

Air growth itself once triggered into a new phase seems quite a stable system ,,

Adolescent hair growth once triggered need not be repeatedly triggered in order to maintain phase . Hair removal systems are set to demage the hair follicle and retro cycle it to vellus hair growth , in which it may or may not remain depending upon the flow of hormones etc to the hair site .

Semi-permenant hair cycle reversal uses heat destruction and inflammation for their effect . Is it just a coincidence that the two major effects for the epidermal regulation are both adrenal gland products .. I DONT THINK SO !!

Inflammation edema call it what you like it goes hand in hand with a release of corticosteroids from the adrenals and or maybe not alterations of the DHEA cycle dependant upon your individual metabolism .

It is my understanding that regulation of the skins byproducts of cortisol etc and sebum etc will be the strong health derived forward steps in hair research .

By reseting the markers we can at least potentiate the environment for hair growth .

illu_adrenal_gland.jpg

dhea1.gif

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There was once a research on the effects of smoking on hairloss which states smoking increases DHEA to 33%. Ring a bell?

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
zackb said:
Soooo. should taking DHEA help or hurt hair loss?

I have been taking DHEA (micronised) for several months, and my once shiny bald head is still sprouting new growth. It may help to encourage the correct balance of T-DHT. While T decreases with age, DHT in small amounts is much more potent than T, so promoting T with DHEA may prevent DHT from swamping the system. Just a thought.
Boru

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Boru said:
zackb said:

I have been taking DHEA (micronised) for several months, and my once shiny bald head is still sprouting new growth. It may help to encourage the correct balance of T-DHT. While T decreases with age, DHT in small amounts is much more potent than T, so promoting T with DHEA may prevent DHT from swamping the system. Just a thought.
Boru

any official legitimate research to back up your claim?

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry no scientific validation, but DHEA is theoretically a precursor to testosterone. Does it really work is the question. Many supplements have theoretical possibilities, but it is very difficult to obtain blood tests at such fine tuning over a range of interests. I can only say what is happening with me, and guess which part or combination of my method is doing the trick. There are no tests for Emu oil for instance, just anecdotes.
Boru

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Boru said:
Sorry no scientific validation, but DHEA is theoretically a precursor to testosterone. Does it really work is the question.

Uhhh.....I think his point is, why on earth would you WANT to produce more testosterone?? Testosterone is the precursor to DHT! :wink:

Bryan

2tone

Reaction score
Boru said:
zackb said:

Boru

God knows the feedback mechanisms and interactions with other hormonal systems is an art that is greatly undiscovered imo .

I wouldnt be surprised that if what you are observing Boru is quite significant .

The DHEA you are taking may be down regulating some other hormonal/enzyme cofactor relationship .. i must say i what you are observing is interesting to me ..

Can you tell me a couple of things more Boru ?
1. are you taing any othe suppliments ?
2. how much DHEA are you using ?

dhea.prostate.fig_sm4.jpg

dhea2.gif

michael barry

Reaction score
2tone,
Have you formulated any ideas as far as how upsetting hormonal balances aggravate male pattern baldness and what do you think a man could do about it? Regimine suggestions as of yet?

If you develop some ideas, I hope you'll post them. Im trying to cover all possible angles. Thanks,

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Boru said:
Sorry no scientific validation, but DHEA is theoretically a precursor to testosterone. Does it really work is the question.

Uhhh.....I think his point is, why on earth would you WANT to produce more testosterone?? Testosterone is the precursor to DHT! :wink:

Bryan

U are not completely right, because T>DHT conversion is predetermined and it vaires with genetics. Your hair's inherited receptivity of androgens also matters.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
By reseting the markers we can at least potentiate the environment for hair growth .

What DHEA intake may do is to reset or normalise the andrgen mechanisms to create an ideal envrironment for finasteride to work at full potential

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Boru said:
zackb said:

Boru

a good theory there, because the AR receptors may start to attach to to some of the DHEA instead of DHT and the male pattern baldness mechanism is fooled?

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hope this helps; only one study; you can draw your own conclusions; maybe other studies out there.

Used primarily by anti-aging groups, "progressive" doctors and athletes.
DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is a hormone produced by the adrenal glands that is a precursor primarily of androgens (male hormones) but also of estrogens (female hormones). Blood levels of DHEA peak at about age 20 and then steadily decline.

Pitts RL. Serum elevation of dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate associated with male pattern baldness in young men. J Am Acad Dermatol 1987 Mar;16(3 Pt 1):571-3

Eighteen men aged 18 to 32 with rapidly progressive male pattern baldness had serum dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and testosterone measured. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levels were elevated in all patients, ranging from 340 to 730 micrograms/dl. The patients were otherwise healthy and serum testosterone levels were within normal limits. A control group of men of similar age without hair loss had lower dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levels ranging from 124 to 300 micrograms/dl (p less than 0.005). The biochemistry of androgens, particularly dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, suggests that adrenal hyperactivity may initiate alopecia in young men who are genetically susceptible.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
chewbaca said:
Bryan said:
Boru said:

Bryan

U are not completely right, because T>DHT conversion is predetermined and it vaires with genetics.

"Predetermined" is too strong a word to use here. There are a number of factors which influence T>DHT conversion, one of which is the amount of the available substrate (like testosterone, and indirectly, DHEA).

And since the study you quote yourself above shows that increased DHEA levels are associated with balding, I ask the question again: why would anyone who is balding want to INCREASE their DHEA levels?

Bryan

michael barry

Reaction score
Chewbaca,
Good stuff with the study on higher DHEA levels and young men balding. This is the kind'a info we should all be getting on sites like HairLossTalk.com.

Bryan,
Have you ever considered a baldness website of your own? Posting reflections on all the studies you've read etc. Im pretty sure you could get a few advertisers coming your way...........

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Boru said:
zackb said:

Boru

Wait a sec, what about this Boru guy taking DHEA? how is regrowing his hair?

So it means androgn underactivity can also cause hair loss?

zackb

Reaction score
I was thinking of trying DHEA, but don't want to make the male pattern baldness worse. What do you guys think...should I try it?