Detumescence Therapy of Human Scalp for Natural Hair Regrowth

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Link to the study: http://www.omicsonline.org/2155-9554/2155-9554-3-138.php

RisingFist has recently dug up a study claiming that it can achieve regrowth through scalp massage. While this is quite a claim, the study itself is extremely well conducted (though lacking a bit in terms of preciseness of wording and result evaluation). Additionally, it provides explanations for some things that had been previously unexplained.
Due to these two facts - adding to the puzzle in a very reasonable way, and quite interesting claims - I want to put it up for discussion. I will provide an introduction and context for the study in this post.

The publications's approach is to study one of the most well known observations of male pattern baldness: A thickening of scalp skin due to fibrosis. Scalp fibrosis is one of the few things that seems to be a constant factor among all male pattern baldness sufferers. Theories regarding its consequences are: (1) that fibrosis is what then squeezes follicles until they can no longer push out new hair while also trapping the new hair below surface, (2) destroys BAT (brown adipose tissue) which supplies follicles with nutrients (through andiogenesis) and thus starves them to death, (3) kills off local metabolism, thus not only no more new nutrients, but also no metabolising and disposal of sebum, DHT, etc.
Additionally, there has been one study which ahs found that bald people have dome-shaped scalps, higher foreheads, and so on. In general, their scalp is deformeed and looks as if it was higher, known to many as an "egghead". This was also observed by many hairloss sufferers, most often cited as the reason why they cannot pull off a shaved look as their headshape, being too "eggy", just does not work.

A theory regarding the change in shape of male pattern baldness sufferers' heads was that the local DHT triggers skull bone growth, which then stretches and squeezes all tissue above. While possible, this is highly unlikely, and has not been confirmed in any way.

The study found by RisingFist, which this thread is about, went about researching what actually changes the head shape of male pattern baldness patients. The extremely valuable finding is that the head shape is not due to bone growth, but indeed due to accumulated hard, thick tissue creating a dome-like head shape. In effect there is then a big difference between skull bone and head shape. It continues to reason that the hard tissue also hinders "grease" from being transported away (mostly through the skin), which then accumulates in the scalp tissue and creates a toxic environment for the hair follicles. The unspecifiness of "grease" here is one of the weak points of the study, as the flow and composition of this "grease" could have been researched as well.
The study goes on to reason that if the hard, thick tissue is resolved, hair may grow again.

Most interestingly, the study finds that through regular, long (20 minutes per day twice) and thorough scalp massages, study participants were able to break down this kind of tissue and reduce the dome shape of their heads significantly. The change in scalp tissue thickness was confirmed through an infrared camera, and was measured in mm.
What's even more supprising, though, is that they were able to regrow hair after the dome/egg shape was reduced through massages.

The study's methodology and reasoning is extremely good. They establish a pressure model which completely explains the pattern in which male pattern baldness happens. Additonally, they measure scalp thickness in depth and thermal profile to support their findings.

On the downside, the evaluation part of their claimed treatment results is very short - it features only one subject - , and "grease" is never really explained. Perhaps the effect of the massages and the reduction of the fibrotic tissue is indeed another and has nothing to do with grease. Nonetheless, successfully breaking the thick tissue is a breakthrough (haha), not only for cosmetical reasons. However, the photos provided for evaluation definitely show hair regrowth.
As the author has provided his email address, we can maybe request more evaluation data, such as more photos, hair count data, etc.

I urge everyone to take a look at the figures provided by the study, as they explain the egg shape of many baldiies' heads and also show that this can be reduced through massages.
I dont know if the claims of regrowth are true, but I will add these daily massages (20 mins twice) to my regimen and see if I can reduce the dome-ishness of my head, which indeed increased as baldness progressed.

RisingFist

Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed analysis. I first saw the study posted by nzbalda at IH, am now spreading the word hoping that it is viable. I wonder if those who do manual methods with boar bristle brush and get some results is because they exfoliate the scalp from that grease with harsh brushing and maybe compress the skin a little. Maybe they would actually get better results if they pressed hard to flatten their scalps closer to their skulls.

I am not 100% clear on the method. I know we should press hard with our fingers, but is it on bald areas only? (That would not make sense as it is better to compress the whole scalp) and do we just press down at different areas or press and rotate the scalp and move on to areas near by for 20 minutes. I'm guessing the back and sides are not necessary.

There are some that speculate we lose hair from sleeping on the side or wearing hats cause it increases heat and inflammation within the follicles, but maybe that is because of the grease. Anyways, hope this with some dermarolling maybe can help us out. I will add some handstands too as I have seen a few positive reports.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
interssting study, but the author don't talk about hairloss in women, it is also due at egg shape skulls

Jacob

Reaction score
Skin thickness etc has been discussed before..if that's what they're going for why not use certain topicals and even supplements? I realize they talk about the other benefits of massage and head shape etc as well...

One of the last paragraphs says a # of strange things:

A polpulation of 100 bald people has adopted the proposed detumescence therapy (massaging) approach; the results demonstrated that all people could have their hair regrown naturally and healthily. The results were found to be significant (P<0.01) when α=0.01 level. Moreover, 100% bald people in the test group are mainly on the top regions of the head rather than the lateral regions. The applied pressure loading on the head during sleeping in bed (Figure 5) is believed to be a preventive measure for the bending/thickening/hardening of human scalps in daily growth

Then the pictures are just plain stupid: http://www.omicsonline.org/2155-9554/images/2155-9554-2-138-g004.html

Now having said all that..I myself use that Hair Sonic device that "massages" the scalp. I believe such things can help. But when you start saying "all people" etc to me it just looks like someone trying to get their name out or something.

Maybe we should contact those ppl/companies that offer massage as part of their treatment for hair loss. Get all their before/afters etc.

I've posted about these before: http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/16/headtime-scalp-massager-massages-scalps-blows-minds/

http://www.headtime.co.kr/

http://www.amazon.com/Charming-Electric-Massager-KS-2800A-Apparatus/dp/B008YVTT7M

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe a manual device also can be useful
masajeador-de-cabeza.jpg

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think that the pressure you can exert with such a thing is even remotely enough to resolve fibrotic tissue or massage away substances that got stuck locally.

Another possible explanation why the massage thing works (if it actually works) is that it strongly promotes blood circulation. minoxidil, being a vasodilator, does the same thing (among others).

@Jacob: Why do you consider the figures stupid?

@RisingFist: Probably the whole scalp except for back and sides. Just be creative when massaging - squeeze horizontally from all directions, and also apply vertical pressure.
As I said, I'll add this to my regimen. It's too good to be true, but I'll give it a try - at least it's completely side effects free ;)
Good thing is that you can do it w/o losing any time - you can just massage your scalp while reading a book, for instance.

Jacob

Reaction score
If figures=pictures..the "afters" just are longer hair. Then the "short haircut"..it's just not believable.

RisingFist

Reaction score
I think there is a link here. The dermarolling people are shedding lot's of dead skin. They could be removing the gunk that blocks their follicules which helps when rebuilding new skin. I just tried the method today and it's very different then what people would normally do as a message. I basically pinch and press down. It's tough to do for 20 minutes especially twice a day but the sensation is different then just a regular message. I recommend doing it while watching tv so you can use both hands. Many people have gotten some results with manual methods so why not give this a trial run for 6-12 months. It might be a good idea to add dermarolling with it although personally I will only use the 1.5 mm once or twice a month and maybe a 0.5mm once a week.

ganonford

Established Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is there a know link between DHT and the formation of hard fibrotic tissue?...

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
According to the "common belief" (read: best theory that we have for lack of full understanding), yes. The common theory is that DHT causes a local immune reaction leading to inflammation. Chronically inflamed tissue always becomes fibrotic in adults.

ganonford

Established Member
Reaction score
I'ts funny, somebody just posted this on hlh:

Hello
I was on this site years ago as THFC. I left soon after discovering needling....I just wanted to drop a quick message to those who are still using needling ....you can increase blood flow to scalp by squeezing the scalp/head. I do it with a tie...leave it on for about twenty mins, afterwoods I can feel the blood rushing to my head...and have noticed my hair is much thicker after just a few weeks, and have almost no fall out...and those hairs that I've been growing in for years from needling...are much thicker then they were just doing the needling.

I knw people will ask for pictures...I don't have any...I'm not really hear for any reason other then just to tell people about this, as I remember how hopeless I used to feel coming on this site....and any new ideas I was always reflective too...and tried to do myself.

So I hope this helps someone here.

Goodluck to the rest of you
face-icon-small-smile.gif

THFC

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Update: Just sent an email to the researcher to inquire about some (hopefully raw) data backing up his claims of regrowth through jzst massages. Let's hope he will reply.

RisingFist

Reaction score
I'ts funny, somebody just posted this on hlh:

Hello
I was on this site years ago as THFC. I left soon after discovering needling....I just wanted to drop a quick message to those who are still using needling ....you can increase blood flow to scalp by squeezing the scalp/head. I do it with a tie...leave it on for about twenty mins, afterwoods I can feel the blood rushing to my head...and have noticed my hair is much thicker after just a few weeks, and have almost no fall out...and those hairs that I've been growing in for years from needling...are much thicker then they were just doing the needling.

I knw people will ask for pictures...I don't have any...I'm not really hear for any reason other then just to tell people about this, as I remember how hopeless I used to feel coming on this site....and any new ideas I was always reflective too...and tried to do myself.

So I hope this helps someone here.

Goodluck to the rest of you
face-icon-small-smile.gif

THFC
It's not the same thing. Using a head strap may be beneficial for blood circulation, but it's not the same as kneading and pressing down on the scalp. You can also use occlusion training for your head. I also think part of the scalp thickness comes from calcification. Vitamin K2 should help with that regard. These massages should help loosen up the galea, but if not, massage the sides and back of your head. Here is another exercise that may help. http://www.shapeyourface.com/exercise_five.htm Some people have claimed their scalp has loosen from it.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
How about instead of massaging your scalp I just punch you repeatedly in your head until you bleed? Increases blood flow and circulation.... you game rising fist?

Jacob

Reaction score
I just don't get why anyone would spend so much time on this given the idiotic pictures they provided. It would have made more sense if there were no pictures at all.

TNTS

Reaction score
jacob, maybe because is free?

And something that perhaps has something to do with that study...

Effect of stretching force on human hair dermal papilla cells: possibility of manipulating mechanobiology to induce hair regeneration

T Koyama1,2, R Ogawa3, K Kobayashi1,2, T Hama4 and H Hyakusoku3 1Josai Clinic, Tokyo, Japan; 2NPO Future Medical Laboratory, Tokyo, Japan; 3Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan and 4ANGFA Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan
Introduction: Mechanical forces have an important role in regeneration of tissues, such as bone, cartilage, blood vessels, and myocardium. For hair regeneration, interaction of hair dermal papilla cells (HDPCs) with hair matrix cells is essential. Our hypothesis is that appropriate mechanical stimulation on the HDPCs may enhance its interaction with hair matrix cells to accelerate hair regrowth. As our first step, we evaluated the effect of a stretching force on HDPCs by analyzing the gene expression of stretch-stimulated HDPCs.

Methods: A commercialized cell line of HDPCs was cultured with 10% fetal bovine serumcontaining Dulbecco’s Eagle medium. Thereafter, 1x105 of three-passaged cells were seeded on a silicone chamber that can be stretched cyclically by computer modulation. The stretching stimulation was set as 20% stretch, 10 cycles/min for 24 and 72 hours. Thereafter, the cells were harvested and their gene expression was analyzed using cDNA microarray methods.

Results: The HDPCs aligned themselves perpendicularly to the stretching direction 72 hours after stretching, whereas the non-stretched cells showed a random distribution. After 24 hours of stretching, 373 and 407 genes were upregulated and downregulated, respectively (n=5). After 72 hours of stretching, 2655 and 2823 genes were upregulated and downregulated, respectively (n=5). The upregulated genes included hair growth genes such as VEGF, WNT, BMP, and PDGF, and the downregulated genes included hair-removing genes such as IL-6 and TNF.

Conclusion: An optimal stretching force applied for a suitably long period can upregulate hair growth genes and downregulate hair removal genes in HDPCs. Thus, mechanical force may be useful in hair tissue engineering. In addition, mechanical stimulation of the scalp may be a natural, easy, and economical way to stimulate hair growth. Further studies will be required to understand the effect of mechanical force in hair regeneration.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have always thought that skin on my scalp has got softer and thinner since the start of hair loss?.......