Desperate

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys... I have been fighting this male pattern baldness battle for over three years and have only received more loss... I can't take this anymore... I am only 20 years old... I know I sound pathetic and self absorbed or whatever but do you guys think that there is a doctor that would perform a transplant on me at such a young age (20 years old)? All I need is help in the front.. my whole top of my head is thin but the front is where the most help is needed. There is nothing for young mem to do about hair loss except use treatments that are not all that great anyway?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
It really depends on how bad it is. THe reason they won't operate on someone that's only been losing their hair a short time is becuase they don't want to make the situation worse. 5 years down the road if your hairline recedes another 2 to 3 inches and the doctor only worked on the first inch of the hairline your gonna look like you had a bad transplant.

G

A Hair transplant will NOT stop your hair loss.

If your losing a lot of hair then a hair tranplant will probably make
things much, much, worse. Especially as you get older. The transplant
hair will fall out if it comes from areas that end up thinnning or end up going bald.

Hair transplants are best for guys who hair loss has stabilized.

G

FolliclesDontDie said:
A Hair transplant will NOT stop your hair loss.

If your losing a lot of hair then a hair tranplant will probably make
things much, much, worse. Especially as you get older. The transplant
hair will fall out if it comes from areas that end up thinnning or end up going bald.

Hair transplants are best for guys who hair loss has stabilized.

I actually agree with ken for once.

derny

Reaction score
What Follicles dont die and the chap under him has said is rubbish.
Look hair transplants do work Ive had two - they take hair from an area that will never thin/go bald. They filled in my hairline very well. All the movie stars have them - these guys dont know what theyre talking about - Go to Hasson and Wong in Vancouver.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
derny...How long have you had them for? You definitely went to the best that's for sure.
and what BAHD and FDD have said is not entirely untrue. It all depends on what kind of donor area you have.

derny

Reaction score
I had a good donor area - in 1997 I had a receding hairline ( a little one) had first surgery then and again in 2002 . I now dont have a receding hairline at all - the transplanted hair takes time about 6-9 months but grows well. The hair behind transplanted area is still strong - prob due to Propecia. If and when I need a new transplant I wouldnt hesitate. Look at the pics on this website - hair transplants do work.

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Responce to blueshard

Hey BLUESHRED whats up I'm in the same situation as you. Im 21 experiencing diffuse thinning on the top of my head. All my friends and family dont think its a big deal and basically think its a joke that Im so concerned with my hair. As superficial as it may be we all know how miserable going bald is making us feel.

Every surgeon I have spoken too has told me that it is too early to consider hair transplant. If I began a lifetime supply of propecia and had a hair transplant wouldnt that serve as an effective long term treatment plan? I dont care what my hair looks like when Im 30 or 40 when I'm married.

I understand the limitations of hair transplant and donor supply but why are doctors so reluctant to perform hair transplant on young men before they are completely bald. Miserable and confused. Any advice