Dermaroller + Minoxidil = Dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just started to use a dermaroller and Dr Lee's 12.5% minoxidil on my temples, getting a bit worried after reading this.

http://dermaroller.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... /#comments

Dear Dermaroller
So many Internet sites offer substances against hair loss such as Minoxidil and many others and claim they work best when enhanced with needling devices. On your website I cannot find any link or comment to use a Dermaroller in combination with drugs against hair loss.
I am also a victim of progressive baldness and your reply would be highly appreciated.
Greetings from
Kai Duval

Dear Kai,

Thank you addressing this question to our BLOG. Originally Minoxidil was a drug developed to fight high blood pressure. There are rumors and claims that patients used this drug also developed an increase of hair growth (???). Today this drug (Rogaine) is widely used to fight hair loss. Over the years the drug concentration was up-scaled from 1 to 5%. We cannot comment if this drug or others can improve hair growth or reverse hair loss. Personally we believe this rumors became a myth over the years.

We have been asked many times why we do not recommend the use of this drug in combination with the Dermaroller. We have good reasons for our refusal. Let me explain:

Not only would we fool you and million others if we would make such claims. The structure of the human skin prevents that drugs or cosmetics can penetrate the stratum corneum, the uppermost layer of the epidermis. We have absolute prove that not more then 0.01% of a hydrophilic (water and/or alcohol) formulated solution can be absorbed by the skin. The rest evaporates or goes into your pillow – an expensive experience. See: http://www.dermaroller.de/us/science/science.html

Naturally things look different when this blood pressure controlling drug is enhanced into the skin by a needling device. It immediately will enter into your blood stream and things can quickly get out of control and you definitely can get a problem, even a heart failure, especially then when you have a coronary deficiency (what many people do not know). If you enhance such a drug into your skin with the help of an enhancing device, this would be the same if you play with open fire near a leaking gas pipe!

If copiers of the original Dermaroller recommend a needling device in combination with such drugs against hair loss, they definitely lie and encourage you to risk your health.

Therefore our conclusion is clear: DON’T DO IT!!!

We can imagine that this statement doesn’t comfort you. But you definitely can enjoy life with some lost hair - even it is hard to except in the beginning. But the risk to suffer for the rest of your life is not worth it.

Sincerely yours,
The Dermaroller Team

Mr. Moe

Reaction score
Oh, there was already an old thread about this. Since this is a relevant and legitimate concern, I'll bump it.

vladut50

Reaction score
Well this sucks, I have such good results after only 3 months of fake derma roller and Lipogaine (minoxidil 5%).

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score
The micro wounds from dermarolling close between 20 minutes and an hour after wounding depending on depth and severity. If you wait 12-24hrs after dermarolling before your next minoxidil application you will have zero chance of the minoxidil going systemic.

vladut50

Reaction score
The derma roller wounds might close after one hour, but if I dermaroll again after 12 hours, it hurts too much. I must mention, I dermaroll gently, I almost never bleed, but still deep enough to feel some pain. I will try dermarolling 2-3 times a week only, with no minoxidil right after.

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score
The derma roller wounds might close after one hour, but if I dermaroll again after 12 hours, it hurts too much. I must mention, I dermaroll gently, I almost never bleed, but still deep enough to feel some pain. I will try dermarolling 2-3 times a week only, with no minoxidil right after.

What size roller are you using?

vladut50

Reaction score
1,5 mm and it's not the original one. I paid only 9 euro on Amazon, but I guess is pretty effective. The needles are still very sharp after almost 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.