Decrease in glutathione may be involved in pathogenesis of acne vulgaris.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I know that it is ACNE but really interesting study!!!

[h=1]Decrease in glutathione may be involved in pathogenesis of acne vulgaris.[/h]Ikeno H, Tochio T, Tanaka H, Nakata S.

[h=3]Source[/h]Ikeno Clinic of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery, 1-14-4 Ginza Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0061, Japan. cubikeno@tea.ocn.ne.jp

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]BACKGROUND:[/h]Some past studies reported that oxidative stress components such as reactive oxygen species (ROS) or lipid peroxide (LPO) are involved in the pathogenesis and progression of acne vulgaris. In this study, we hypothesized that the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris may depend on the differences in antioxidative activity among antioxidants in our body. We collected samples of stratum corneum from acne patients and healthy subjects and compared the quantity of gluthathione (GSH), one of many antioxidative components in our body, for comparison.
[h=4]METHODS:[/h]Samples of stratum corneum were collected from facial acne-involved lesion, facial uninvolved area, and the medial side of the upper arm in acne vulgaris patients. Similarly, samples were collected from a facial uninvolved area and the medial side of the upper arm in healthy subjects. The quantity of GSH was measured in each area. In vitro effects of alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone (α-MSH) on GSH synthesis-related gene were also examined.

[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]The quantity of GSH in stratum corneum from each area was significantly lower in acne vulgaris patients than that of healthy subjects. There was no significant difference in quantity of GSH between the acne-involved lesion and uninvolved area in acne patients. In vitro studies showed that the expression level of Glutamate-cysteine ligase catalytic subunit (GCLC), one of the GSH synthesis-related genes, was significantly decreased by the additional use of α-MSH.

[h=4]CONCLUSIONS:[/h]We conclude that a decline in antioxidative activity led by a decrease in GSH quantity may play an important role in pathogenesis of acne vulgaris. The use of α-MSH may further decrease the GSH level.

© 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

jimmy360

Reaction score
nice find squeegee. youre onto something with glutathione. hows your glutathione treatment going?

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Wonder what would happen if you injected a glutathione serum right into the scalp??

I've been taking MaxGXL for glutathione supplementation for health reasons and I must say, I really do feel better the last month or so...Glutathione is big...

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Androgens have been reported to stimulate free radical damage and deplete glutathione in human prostate cancer cells (4). Given the natural decline of glutathione levels with aging, it is suggested that androgens induce pro-oxidative stress, which, unopposed by a weakened glutathione system, contributes to the development of prostate cancer.

4. Ripple MO, Henry WF, Randall P et al. Pro-oxidant-antioxidant shift induced by androgen treatment of human prostate carcinoma cells. J Natl Cancer Inst 89:40-48,1997.

Jacob

Reaction score
Good one on prostate cancer there. I still love that acetyl-glutathione...need to find a sale somewhere...

This reminds me of that Stimucap that someone over at HLF bumped a thread on and is going to use:http://www.avariohealthcare.com/HAIR_LOSS_TREATMENT_BIOCLIN_PHYDRIUM_ADVANCE_AMOPOULES_MEN.html

http://gironella.com.mx/escritorio/kalichem/ia/sti/a_stimucap_brochure.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

:mad: ..they talk about a 3% lotion here: http://www.kalichem.it/allegati/stimucap_ok.pdf ..so why isn't there a lotion available...

Dr. Perricone has that acetyl-glutathione in a facial cream..since the op is about acne. I know there's a thread on it and other topicals somewhere. Did a quick
search and there are other a-g topicals out there now.

http://thefacepharmacy.com/store/liquid-wow

http://thefacepharmacy.com/store/healing-cream (a-g and also the glut as in the product below)
- - - Updated - - -

Glut but not a-g...

http://murrayavenuerx.com/glutathione.html

- - - Updated - - -

:shock: there's a lot of them now. Thanks Squeegee for reigniting the glut discussion...

http://shop.citrisafecertified.com/...AC253.qscstrfrnt01?productId=64&categoryId=13

http://shop.citrisafecertified.com/...AC253.qscstrfrnt01?productId=66&categoryId=13

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
The first study on Acne is a proof that Acne prone people have lower endogenous antioxidant( antioxidant produced by your body) in their young ages. It is easy to link the problem with Androgen Alopecia. Your body loses some of its ability to produce endogenous antioxidants when you get older so this is probably why the average male goes bald anyways or will suffer from hairloss later in their life. We balders, were born with lower endogenous antioxidant (SOD, catalase and glutathione peroxidase) which caused early balding in our lifetime. Simple as that. We cannot keep up with the pro-oxidative state of androgen. Most females don't go bald because they live in a estrogen environment unless they have PCOS or during menopause where DHT go sometimes predominant.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Post was held in moderation queue. Approved. Bump.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
So I typed out a long reply with links to studies but it id not showing up for some reason.

My question is:

How do you reconcile the use of antioxidants in reducing ROS with the many studies showing that they cause down-regulation of VEGF and angiogenesis (and thus apparently negative for hair growth)?

Should we really be trying to raise antioxidant levels if they have the effect of turning off blood vessel development? They also seem to reduce nitric oxide, which is a mediator against ROS' adoptosis behavior...

Very confusing.

Welcome to the forum deb21f! When VEGF/angiongenesis is overexpressed = cancer. Do you want this?:p Life is a balancing act and endogenous antioxidant job is to keep everything balanced. Same thing for NOS.. but the bad guy is iNOS which is the bad isoform.. What makes you older? Free radical and inflammation..Glutathione IV cure/help for a lot of age related diseases for a reason... and I know studies are sometime a pain in the arse.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Well I typed out a long reply again that I guess is held up with moderators, which means this will probably be my last post here...

I understand the free radical theory of hairloss but cannot get around the fact there are so many studies that show VEGF and angiogenesis in general are severely downregulated by antioxidants, as well as Nitric Oxide...

So: free radicals lead to programmed cell death (bad), therefore we supplement with free radical scavengers (good), which downregulate angiogenesis, VEGF, and NO (bad).

WTF

So, If I go with this theory, people with elevated glutathione will start loosing hair? :)

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
My frame of mind is on regrowth, and optimizing conditions for it. There are so many conflicting studies on whether exogenous antioxidant supplements impact endogenous production, and I need to pick a side.

I want my body to produce the glutathione, SOD, etc. necessary to fight the free radicals and not cause any kind of negative feedback loop. Especially if the supplements are somehow not as powerful as the internal version. Certain cases (mine being Accutane) may call for supplementation of NAC or something, but for the most part we should stay out of the process if we can.

My recessions seem to coincide directly with heavy antioxidant supplementation, that I thought was beneficial for my workouts.
I went Norwood 2 at 20 when I started working out and taking supplements. Then I went 10 years of working out and producing lots of ROS through other means without supplementing and zero recession.
Here I am again taking the antioxidants and then see recession shortly after.

My unscientific, N=1 conclusion is that my body is down-regulating growth and antioxidant production from being overwhelmed by endogenous C, D, E, and ALA. Therefore my workouts, stress, partying, etc are causing low glutathione in the scalp as my supps go to waste.

Edit: Therefore I am making veggie smoothies to get the endogenous antioxidants in a natural form, not avoiding them altogether. I believe there are lots of unknown benefits from consuming the whole food instead of isolated extracts.

Been on heavy supplements diet for a least 10 years.. Still have a lot of hair... but everybody is different. Most supplements that you mentioned will boost glutathione... Glutathione get depleted because it cannot keep up with the extra ROS. There a reason why L-carnitine tartrate and Tocotrienols help regrow. Older people start loosing hair because of elevated ROS and Mitochondrial dysfuntion, inflammation. I am on transdermal glutathione and my hair look ridiculously healthy. Glutathione help/reverse prostate cancer which pretty much looks like male pattern baldness but works at a different level.

princessRambo

Established Member
Reaction score
Exposure to cold increases glutathione
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8063192

Uric acid and glutathione levels during short-term whole body cold exposure

A drastic decrease in plasma uric acid concentration was observed during and following the exposure to the cold stimulus. We hypothesize that the uric acid decrease can be caused by its consumption after formation of oxygen radicals. In addition, the erythrocytic level of oxidized glutathione and the ratio of oxidized glutathione/total glutathione also increased following cold exposure, which supports this hypothesis. Furthermore, the baseline concentration of reduced glutathione was increased and the concentration of oxidized glutathione was decreased in the erythrocytes of winter swimmers as compared to those of nonwinter swimmers.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0046352
Whole-Body Cryostimulation - Potential Beneficial Treatment for Improving Antioxidant Capacity in Healthy Men - Significance of the Number of Sessions
After 20 daily treatments there was an increase in SOD, SOD:CAT ratio, a decrease in the concentration of reduced and oxidized glutathione and in the activity of GPx. It could be possible that differences in the activity of GSSG-R after 20 treatments depended on the body mass index of participants.

It is also reported that heat (hot water) increases TGF-beta.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20599762
Transforming growth factor-beta 1 (TGF-beta1) is secreted as a latent complex, which consists of latency-associated peptide (LAP) and the mature ligand. The release of the mature ligand from LAP usually occurs through conformational change of the latent complex and is therefore considered to be the first step in the activation of the TGF-beta signaling pathway. So far, factors such as heat, pH changes, and proteolytic cleavage are reportedly involved in this activation process, but the precise molecular mechanism is still far from clear
I guess the old wives tale of washing hair with cold water (potentially increasing scalp glutathione) might have some truth heh?!:crazy: