decisions, decisions, please help

father_mcenzie

Reaction score
im 22 next month and have been thinning since i was 16. ive been using regaine since i was 18. it has now gotten to the point where i am using toppik all over my head every day and its costing about 100 pound every 2 months. my hair is currently 3-4 cm long, very thin (u can see about 80% of my scalp) and hardly grows at all, i dont wanna use proscar cos of the side effects and it only works to keep what u have, which for me aint alot.

i am have been seriously considering surgeory recently. can u guys give me advice and links on the best places in the uk (prefebly south east). ive searched myself but they all claim to be the best. do u think im right to use this option?

how did u guys go about it, i mean, if i had it done on a friday would i look back to 'normal' by monday. do they have to shave your head? does ALL your existing hair fall out? i would ideally like my friends and parents to not know, is this possible?

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
father_mcenzie said:
im 22 next month and have been thinning since i was 16. ive been using regaine since i was 18. it has now gotten to the point where i am using toppik all over my head every day and its costing about 100 pound every 2 months. my hair is currently 3-4 cm long, very thin (u can see about 80% of my scalp) and hardly grows at all, i dont wanna use proscar cos of the side effects and it only works to keep what u have, which for me aint alot.

i am have been seriously considering surgeory recently. can u guys give me advice and links on the best places in the uk (prefebly south east). ive searched myself but they all claim to be the best. do u think im right to use this option?

how did u guys go about it, i mean, if i had it done on a friday would i look back to 'normal' by monday. do they have to shave your head? does ALL your existing hair fall out? i would ideally like my friends and parents to not know, is this possible?
I can only try to help with the last paragraph of your post, as I don't know any surgeons in the UK.
Would you look "normal" by Monday if you had a transplant on Friday? Probably not. You could cover it up I suppose with Dermmatch or Toppik, although I personally would not want to do anything to jeopardize the hairs growing so I probably wouldn't do that. What I did was I scheduled my transplants around vacation time or I just took some extra days off.

And no, you don't have to shave your head. Most surgeons just shave a little spot in the back when they take out your grafts, or like my surgeon did, just suggested I get a short haircut. He actually preferred working with the hair when it was not totally shaved.

I don't know what you mean by "does ALL your existing hair fall out?". There may be some shock loss to some of your existing hair, but it is usually temporary and the hair should grow back. Unless of course it is some of the genetically predetermined hair that would fall out sooner or later and its time to fall out and not grow back just happens to coincide with your transplant.

"i would ideally like my friends and parents to not know, is this possible?"
It's possible, I suppose. Just wear a hat while your scabs heal, or use a concealer. But I successfully kept it from my co-workers. I told my family and close friends though, as I knew they weren't going to give me a hard time with it.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
how do you keep it from your coworkers..in all the pics i see it looks so incredibly red and scary looking..dont people notice bumps all over you head.
Also, how long until the scabs are no longer visible and how does one continue to go to work and be seen in public with a red dotted head?

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
if your going to get a hair transplant you should make sure you have stopped your hair loss first so i would you propecia too, other wise the rest of your hair might fall out around the transplated hair and you will look very strange

A good dr in the UK

I here DR rodgers is good, but most uk dr have a very bad rep
thats why i am flying to canada to get it done