Dealing with GYNO on finasteride

hare

Reaction score
Went on finasteride (Propecia), did wonders for my hair and it was as thick as a lion's mane starting 3-4 months in. Also used Alpine Caffeine Shampoo but I'm convinced that finasteride did almost all of the magic. I maybe noticed some minor side effects during the first few months which were of no concern. Then the fourth month came and so did nipple sensitivity and an increase in breast tissue. Now it's 6 months in on finasteride and I can feel some definite lumps there. My original plan was to stay on finasteride until a better hair-saving solution came along, but I don't want to grow tits in the meantime. Although they might be mistaken for pure pecs most of the time, the last time I had a run in my t-shirt I could feel my breasts bouncing up and down and I had to stop and put a shirt on. Gyno isn't fun.

But at the same time, the hair must be kept. So it's a double-edged sword.

Any recommendations on dealing with gynecomastia without forgoing finasteride? Supplements, surgery, etc.

I've done some research and learned of a few supplement recommendations. Tried 15mg zinc very briefly which didn't seem to help either my hair or my breasts.

Anyone here UK-based know of the best way to get surgery? Doesn't seem to be easy to get it through the NHS (http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/885.aspx?CategoryID=61), but in that case I'm fine with paying for it, so any recommendations on clinics, surgeons, etc.?

Is it true that if the glandular tissue is removed then it's very unlikely / impossible for gyno to resurface? I also want minimised scar visibility, etc.

I did a search for threads on this site dealing specifically with the topic 'gyno' but there don't seem to be any dedicated recent ones. I hope this thread helps anyone having the same issue.

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
Didn't you see a dermatologist that confirmed you had gyno caused from finasteride. Why wouldn't you have quit? I would take baldness over man boobs any day! Are you insane! Quit finasteride and start increasing your testosterone through cardio nutrition sex and body building right away!

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
even i got some puffy nips and some lumps after a couple of months, it has kind of stabilised, m not sure though. even i took/ taking zinc, 15 mg. anyways i ll continue on finasteride, my chest does not look that bad, in fact my flatmates dont even notice it. hoping it would stay like that. although m sure that after i get a job i ll get those lumps and puffiness removed by a surgery. i know its a bummer!!

- - - Updated - - -

and from what i read, if finasteride caused gyno, it may return after surgery. . . FML!!

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if the gyno comes early on if it is going to...

hare

Reaction score
Didn't you see a dermatologist that confirmed you had gyno caused from finasteride. Why wouldn't you have quit? I would take baldness over man boobs any day! Are you insane! Quit finasteride and start increasing your testosterone through cardio nutrition sex and body building right away!

Everyone sees your face. Fewer see your chest. Minor or moderate gyno that is largely invisible with clothes on beats being bald any day, imo.

even i got some puffy nips and some lumps after a couple of months, it has kind of stabilised, m not sure though. even i took/ taking zinc, 15 mg. anyways i ll continue on finasteride, my chest does not look that bad, in fact my flatmates dont even notice it. hoping it would stay like that. although m sure that after i get a job i ll get those lumps and puffiness removed by a surgery. i know its a bummer!!

- - - Updated - - -

and from what i read, if finasteride caused gyno, it may return after surgery. . . FML!!

According to what I've heard online and from gyno surgeons at a few consultations, it is probable that gyno could return post-surgery if finasteride is continued.

I wonder if the gyno comes early on if it is going to...

I've read that it usually occurs at the 4+ month mark and there are even cases of it occurring much later.

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
Went on finasteride (Propecia), did wonders for my hair and it was as thick as a lion's mane starting 3-4 months in. Also used Alpine Caffeine Shampoo but I'm convinced that finasteride did almost all of the magic. I maybe noticed some minor side effects during the first few months which were of no concern. Then the fourth month came and so did nipple sensitivity and an increase in breast tissue. Now it's 6 months in on finasteride and I can feel some definite lumps there. My original plan was to stay on finasteride until a better hair-saving solution came along, but I don't want to grow tits in the meantime. Although they might be mistaken for pure pecs most of the time, the last time I had a run in my t-shirt I could feel my breasts bouncing up and down and I had to stop and put a shirt on. Gyno isn't fun.

But at the same time, the hair must be kept. So it's a double-edged sword.

Any recommendations on dealing with gynecomastia without forgoing finasteride? Supplements, surgery, etc.

I've done some research and learned of a few supplement recommendations. Tried 15mg zinc very briefly which didn't seem to help either my hair or my breasts.

Anyone here UK-based know of the best way to get surgery? Doesn't seem to be easy to get it through the NHS (http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/885.aspx?CategoryID=61), but in that case I'm fine with paying for it, so any recommendations on clinics, surgeons, etc.?

Is it true that if the glandular tissue is removed then it's very unlikely / impossible for gyno to resurface? I also want minimised scar visibility, etc.

I did a search for threads on this site dealing specifically with the topic 'gyno' but there don't seem to be any dedicated recent ones. I hope this thread helps anyone having the same issue.

How was your hair prior to finasteride? I think I'm starting this week- sick of thinning especially when all of my good friends and males in my family have tons of hair. I'm 25 and started thinning 2 years ago- started on minoxidil right when I noticed it.

How did you dose it? I was thinking about starting at .5mg/day to let the body adjust

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I heard recently that you can take the full 1mg dose every other day to see if your body is able to tolerate it. If you get no sides, then work your way up to taking the full dose every day. .5mg/day should work also.

hare

Reaction score
Hey hare, how's it going? Have you had any improvement from side effects?

Gyno seems stable atm. Maybe gradually worsening, unsure. No other side effects.

How was your hair prior to finasteride? I think I'm starting this week- sick of thinning especially when all of my good friends and males in my family have tons of hair. I'm 25 and started thinning 2 years ago- started on minoxidil right when I noticed it.

How did you dose it? I was thinking about starting at .5mg/day to let the body adjust

I'd say frontal was NW2 but vertex more like NW3; scalp at crown pretty visible esp with wet hair. Dosed 1mg/day.

I heard recently that you can take the full 1mg dose every other day to see if your body is able to tolerate it. If you get no sides, then work your way up to taking the full dose every day. .5mg/day should work also.

Recently considered switching to every other day but anecdotes seem mixed on whether it works as well as every day.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi Hare and isis,
How is your situation right now? Still on 1mg finasteride? How did the gyno develop.

Same situation here... so i hope you can give me some advice!